Switching salt mix more success?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use IO and change 100 gallons of my 285 total. My corals are doing so well, I'm happy

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's another graph I found on the other forum.

IMG_2331.PNG

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found myself here after my LFS recently switched over to Fritz pro and claimed it was the best on the market, and the cost is reasonable. I have had high calcium, over 500 using reef Crystals, a coral dealer said red sea pro is his choice, but really who runs with 13.5 alk does this drop after the water change, still a swing. I have been using Salinity and with no dosing my Cal is 470 (red sea) and alk is 8 (hanna) and seems to hold . Who's using Fritz products and how long they been around .

cap232

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have coral that use alot of calcuim or alk use the mix that has hight cal. And alk.
If you di fequent water changes with them you might not have to dose those. Akso higher values of cal. Alk. Will help you get coraline alge going. I dont kerp sps corals but i think they like to run lower alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For cap232, in the chart you say that instant ocean has a magnesium level of 1350. If you are talking about plain instant ocean, the last time I used that I got 1100.

What was the salinity you were using? Normal IO is higher than that. :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been in the reef hobby over 30 years and saltwater more than that.
Let me tell you i have seen successful reef aquariums with almost every salt out there. The most probably is IO too...
I see so many threads people wanting to switch salt thinking they will get better results. Also every few years we see a salt that becomes real popular and then someone has a issue and blames the salt and their is this mass exit.
People give way to much credit to the salt. Most salts are made the same way and are about the same while a few are actually are the same and others are made in the same factory.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've started using Red Sea coral pro and felt that it gave me decent numbers to maintain but dosing became a little difficult to adjust after water changes. I changed to tropic Marin pro reef and maintaining a constant alkaline level was much easier. Although I felt Red Sea mixed easier than tropic Marin, my alk and calcium levels were easier to maintain without a big swing with tropic Marin. Plus my corals seem to like it as well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As i said earlier in a reply i didnt do theses tests. There from other sourses online. Just posted tge chart. Theres a link in one of my replies to another.

I was replying to the person who said they got 1100 ppm. :)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay , 2 formats.
Salinity for reefs , Althow i think i will change, this salt is slow to dissolve and will cake if don't feather into the water, but most disturbing is the film on the serface of the mixing container.
Watching JF yesterday he uses
Instant ocean , said its all he ever used. I think the extra time spent mixing will be better spent testing the fresh batch,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back