swollen and inflated hammer

dumpysauce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my torches and hammers have been swollen for the last few months. Attached is a example photo.
Alk 9, nitrate 10, phos .05. salt 35 ppt. They are all about 2 years old, and only recently have gotten swollen. This hammer is the worst of the bunch.
Any ideas what can cause this?

No flow or lighting changes in years.

hammer.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is related or not, but it reminds me of when corals "bounce" unexpectedly (such as the acans discussed below):
They're basically joking that you've either got two corals or a "bounce" acan that would be potentially be valuable.

The only thing I can find on this condition is that it may potentially be caused either by some kind of high lighting (some people say LED's, others UV; it's basically thought to be similar to sunburn reaction in people) or by elevated potassium levels, and it doesn't seem to negatively impact the corals in any way (but the bubbles if popped are prone to infection):
So, it may be high lighting/UV or it may be elevated potassium; I've also heard of this happening to a number of other LPS corals (including different hammers), with suspected potential causes such as: coral starvation/lack of nutrients in tank, coral overfeeding, lack of flow, and toxins and/or activated carbon. No one seems to know for certain what causes it, though, and it doesn't seem to be harmful.

Rodz Exotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this post has been over 1 year. My hammers, frammers and octospawns do this after every weekly water change and I run my G5 radion lights low in the 60%-70% to make them even more fluffy. They been like this for over 1 year. Aqeon 210 and I use reef crystals.

Attachments

• IMG_7787.png
    IMG_7787.png
    737.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7786.png
    IMG_7786.png
    769.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7934.jpeg
    IMG_7934.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7943.jpeg
    IMG_7943.jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back