Swollen Gill

Nalca Ozius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this orchid dottyback 2 weeks ago and It has had this one slightly puffed gill the entire time. At least I think it is slightly enlarged from its other. I thought maybe it was just an injury it sustained as I got two and they quarrelled the first day.
They both hunt pods constantly and eat some of what I toss in at least try it but I’m pretty sure they prefer the pods and are getting their fill that way.
The other one has grown noticeably larger also where as this one only minutely.
As far as I can tell it seems healthy and super active but I don’t have much experience diagnosing sick fish.
Haven't seen it rub on anything either just hunts pods and watches/dances with it’s buddy.

139D3CF5-2A95-46AA-8487-3C67E66B47C7.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term, I’d be very surprised if the two dottybacks will tolerate each other. Fridmani are a bit more peaceful, but still, I wouldn’t try it myself.
I think this may just be an injury, but there is a gill isopod that I’ve seen that can cause a swollen gill. Not really treatable though.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nalca Ozius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I was thinking an injury or birth defect so that is somewhat reassuring I suppose. I knew it would be a risk getting the two but I’m optimistic so far. When the larger one sleeps in the smaller goes searching and wakes him up almost every morning. Honeymoon phase maybe.
Would you happen to know how long it takes for this species to reach adulthood?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, not sure how long it takes them to mature- less than a year I imagine. If yours are tank raised, it won’t have that gill isopod, that only is seen in wild caught fish.
Jay

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back