Synergy Shadow Overflow Poll

Are you happy with your Synergy Shadow Overflow?

• Total voters

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have shadow 16” on a 200, and a 220. Silent.
Not going to argue how many gph they can run before making noise, but will say did have a noise issue after years of coralline buildup on weir slowed flow. Cleaned it, silent again.

Jstn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the shadow, bought it with the first prereleases 3 years ago, I have had zero issues and bought two of their sump.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the removable lids for the weir on the Modular Marine and others, what happens if the teeth of the weir get clogged enough to cause the water to rise?

Seems like having that lid on is a major hazard.
I don't use mine, I have a screen top over it to keep fish out though.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. Salt creep is a bit of an issue but part of maintenance. I have to have mine at exactly the right height otherwise it can't handle the volume even through the emergency drain and it causes it to drip. In just over 3 years it has never clogged.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190820_182425.jpg
20190820_182455.jpg

@Tuffloud1 I set the weir pretty high, I don't think anything could get between the 2. You could make the screen smaller than mine, I just used one I had sitting around.

OP
OP
Tuffloud1

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190820_182425.jpg
20190820_182455.jpg

@Tuffloud1 I set the weir pretty high, I don't think anything could get between the 2. You could make the screen smaller than mine, I just used one I had sitting around.

I see, so you just have screen framed over your whole tank and the weir sits at the same level as the screen.

That works!

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, so you just have screen framed over your whole tank and the weir sits at the same level as the screen.

That works!
Not the whole tank, just the middle section but it doesn't even go all the way from front to back. I would think trimming it down to just cover the weir would be fine but I'm lazy and stuff.

keithIHS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the party, but thought I'd share my experience. I was originally going to get a MM overflow, but Custom Aquariums said too many problems, so I went with Synergy. At something like 300 mph the drop from the weir to the level in the internal box is too great and it starts making noise. You can't adjust it, which I explain here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/synergy-reef-shadow-v2-overflow-noisy-internal-box.762427/
I replaced it with Exotic's and Exotic's is a lot quieter above 300 mph. However, I've had 2 small clowns in my 120 for less than 3 days and already one has gone through the weir. Definitely need to figure out a way to add a screen or teeth.

keithIHS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit late to the party, but thought I'd share my experience. I was originally going to get a MM overflow, but Custom Aquariums said too many problems, so I went with Synergy. At something like 300 mph the drop from the weir to the level in the internal box is too great and it starts making noise. You can't adjust it, which I explain here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/synergy-reef-shadow-v2-overflow-noisy-internal-box.762427/
I replaced it with Exotic's and Exotic's is a lot quieter above 300 mph. However, I've had 2 small clowns in my 120 for less than 3 days and already one has gone through the weir. Definitely need to figure out a way to add a screen or teeth.
Update: A couple of days later another, or the same, clown went into the overflow again, so that motivated me to take some leftover BRS screen (from make your own screen top) and cut a rectangle to go in front of the overflow. Screen is black so you can't see it. No further problems. Currently holding it in place with paperclips but need to find something better.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back