OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Tunze Nano ATO? Any issues with it? I have the same one.

Hey Colin, the above deals with a few issues I've had with the ATO, but none of it is specific to the Tunze. Just some of the lesson learned. I'm considering making an acrylic reservoir if I can't find one.

How is your Lagoon 25 going?

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  1. I would remove the pump, take the reservoir to the rodi unit, fill, and replace. Often the pump would not properly prime, leading it to not pumping water upon replacement. This was hard to check if the aquarium was not low on water.
I have the exact same problem myself...not sure how to fix it.

But great looking tank! We have almost the exact same rockscape, except I put a small rock in the middle front to turn into a GSP island. The GSP is already spreading like crazy on it, and only been 2 months.

Your purple coraline algea is coming in quick! I am jelous!

Overall my tank is well! Just got passed the diatom phase. Just switched from a Nanobox Duo to a Radeon XR30W above the tank. The coral are doing great as well as the fish!

Need to start a build thread...

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same problem myself...not sure how to fix it.

But great looking tank! We have almost the exact same rockscape, except I put a small rock in the middle front to turn into a GSP island. The GSP is already spreading like crazy on it, and only been 2 months.

Your purple coraline algea is coming in quick! I am jelous!

Overall my tank is well! Just got passed the diatom phase. Just switched from a Nanobox Duo to a Radeon XR30W above the tank. The coral are doing great as well as the fish!

Need to start a build thread...

Definitely start a build thread, we all want to see!

I'm surprised myself at how quickly to coralline algae, pods, and sponges have populated. But I'm happy about it!

As long as I refill the ATO before it sucks air, and never have the pump leave water, it should work totally fine. That's my plan, as soon as I find/make the proper container.

How intense was your diatom bloom?

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start a build thread, we all want to see!

I'm surprised myself at how quickly to coralline algae, pods, and sponges have populated. But I'm happy about it!

As long as I refill the ATO before it sucks air, and never have the pump leave water, it should work totally fine. That's my plan, as soon as I find/make the proper container.

How intense was your diatom bloom?

Surprisingly it wasn't bad at all. It covered 3/4 of the sand and half the rock, but was gone within a week. Just increased the CUC during it.

Are you dosing or anything?

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly it wasn't bad at all. It covered 3/4 of the sand and half the rock, but was gone within a week. Just increased the CUC during it.

Are you dosing or anything?

When I get a new reservoir I'll start kalkwasser again.

Doing 1ml Red Sea A and B (each) and 1/4tsp Reef Roids twice a week. Alternating pellets and PE mysis feeding the clowns.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb '18 Update

Definitely don't underestimate dosing. With my kalkwasser ATO dosing offline, my alkalinity was running very low, and caused a number of SPS problems.

Hate admitting mistakes, but it happens. Go ahead and read about my trials and tribulations here: Acro/Monti Bleaching

I'm running the alk now around 8 dKH, and I'm feeding a little heavier to bring up nutrients (~5 nitrate, .03 phosphate).

My new fish has made it through QT!
20180204_110020.jpg

His name is Boo. Short for Peek-a-Boo

The clowns are doing great, but these little buggers have started moving sand and nipping whenever my hand is in the tank!
20180213_195605.jpg

Daring me to put my hand in

Most corals are looking great. The zoas are rapidly multiplying! SPS are recovering, and should begin to grow with a stable 8 dKH. I removed the toadstool, I didn't want to take a chance with the slime coat messing with the SPS.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May 2018 Update

Just going to share a few photo updates from the past few months. No big changes, a few additions, some growth in certain corals, absolutely no growth in others.

_DSC0947-3.jpg

Full tank shot. Great growth from the Montipora.

_DSC0955-3.jpg

I added two T5 retrofits to the AI Hydra 26 light. The Hydra definitely has more than enough power, but I wanted the T5's to help reduce shadowing.

_DSC0950-3.jpg

Some of the Zoa's are doing extremely well, others are suffering. Not sure why.

_DSC0965-3.jpg

This cool 'Green Goblin' Anacropora is growing really well, despite only being in the tank for a month and a half!
_DSC0969-3.jpg

This guy is annoying me. Despite being in the tank for ~6 months, he hasn't shown signs of encrusting or growing.

_DSC0970-3.jpg

The frogspawn has grown quite a bit. The torch got ticked off by an accidental move, and hasn't fully recovered yet. They can take a while.

_DSC0973-4.jpg

The main problem I'm having now is I would really like to get rid of the ricordea on the front rock. It's multiplied like crazy (There are now 4 babies!?!?), and stung this unfortunate coral when he was knocked over. But the ricordea is firmly attached to this rock, so short of removing the rock and using a chisel, I'm not sure what to do.

_DSC0966-3.jpg

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
September '18 Update
It's been a while since I've updated, and I thought I'd share a few pictures and updates. This will be a picture heavy post!

Everything is growing well, especially the Montipora and the Anacropora 'Green Goblin'. I fragged the monti, took out the ricordea, and gave away the xenia to clear it up a little. Anacropora has been growing very well in the tank, so I've been on the lookout for more at my LFS, Aqua SD. Found one last week, so I'm excited to see this one grow! A new Lubbock's wrasse has been added, he has beautiful colors, but no name yet. I've got a small cyano problem, but it hasn't smothered anything or become overwhelming yet.

Big news, I finally joined the dark side! I bought a Jebao DP-4 doser to dose 2-part. My alk has been low, and kalk just isn't keeping up with the use. I'm hoping by bumping my alk and keeping it stable, the acropora will finally start growing, rather than just... existing.

_DSC0073.jpg
_DSC0078.jpg
_DSC0078-2.jpg
_DSC0081.jpg

A couple months ago the frag below took a turn for the worse, and began bleaching. It's stopped, and stayed as is for quite some time now. Many of the parts lacking zooxanthellae are still showing polyp extension. I'm hoping it fully recovers!

_DSC0084.jpg
_DSC0087.jpg

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear some feedback! Any recommendations on dosing with a Jebao? Anyone have cool Anacroporas?

Kalendo33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using my DP-4 a week ago and it makes my life so much easier. I use the triton method you should take a look at that since KALK only dose CA and KH right? You need some MG unless you do water changes but eventually waterchanges wont make a huge difference since it only replenishes base off the water change, e.g. 5% change only provides 5% more MG, unless i am mistaken but either way gorgeous tank!

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started using my DP-4 a week ago and it makes my life so much easier. I use the triton method you should take a look at that since KALK only dose CA and KH right? You need some MG unless you do water changes but eventually waterchanges wont make a huge difference since it only replenishes base off the water change, e.g. 5% change only provides 5% more MG, unless i am mistaken but either way gorgeous tank!

Thanks Kalendo!

As of now I'm not planning on Triton, for such a small tank I still do 20% weekly/biweekly water changes. The doser has been fantastic at keeping up alk/calc in between. The Mg is replenished in the water changes, and currently hasn't needed additional correction. In that case I could either (very) infrequently hand dose, or use another doser head for it.

I'm still working on dialing it in, the corals I currently have use a lot! Everything has really started taking off though, it's a huge difference.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking great, kudos for sticking to your routine as dry rock goes thru those stages.

I am also going to use the jeboa doser. Very excited to get my tank wet. Should be wet in 2 months :)

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year!
Anything new with the tank?
Thanks for checking in SlvrZ!
The tank is doing fantastic, here is a picture from before the holiday. I took care of the bryopsis and some of the harder acropora are showing growth.
PSX_20190102_140521.jpg

Unexpectedly, a great job opportunity came last week, and they are wanting me to start (and move) within two weeks. It's far enough away I'd need to move the tank, but I have no permanent housing lined up at this point.
I'd love to transfer the tank, but it's looking like I might have to take it down! It was just showing great growth and maturity, I don't want to tear it down. We'll see what happens in the next two weeks! I might sell the tank + entertainment center and upgrade to a 50-75 gallon 6 months down the line.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking great, kudos for sticking to your routine as dry rock goes thru those stages.

I am also going to use the jeboa doser. Very excited to get my tank wet. Should be wet in 2 months :)

Yung, almost ready to get your tank wet?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there! Overflow gets here in a few days. Then it's stand and sump building. Plumbing and water!

You can follow along as the updates start coming in more at the link in my signature

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright! We're bringing up a year old thread. I did end up bringing the tank with me on the move, and it transferred very well.

Unfortunately with the covid and everything going on lately, I haven't had time to maintain my tank, and aptasia has run wild! I'm moving once more and have decided to take down the tank, and sell the entire entertainment center with the tank. I'll be back with a new tank hopefully within a year, but for now I'm dry docking it.
20200708_201532.jpg

I'll be posting this on the for sale forum, but if anyone in Southern California is looking for a tank integrated into an entertainment center, let me know! TV, books, and plants not for sale ;)

20200708_202155.jpg
20200708_202208.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back