Syoung's IM 25 Lagoon Build

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I'm new to R2R, and wanted to share my build journey with you, at the same time that I am going through it. I've previously had a 10 gallon nano, with all HOB, so some of this AIO will be new to me! I've gone with the IM 25 Lagoon as I like the depth of the tank and it has a manageable water volume for an apartment.

My hopes for this tank are to have an aquascape approach bordering minimalist, and maintaining reasonable open areas, with most likely no corals permanently on the sand bed.

My setup:
  • IM 25 Lagoon
    • Currently stock return pump, however I may change it due to noise
  • 100W Cobalt Neo-Therm Heater
  • Hydor Coralia 425 Powerhead
  • Tunze Osmolator ATO w/ 1.25 Gallon Reservoir
  • Red Sea Pro Salt, kept at 1.025
  • Hydra 26HD
  • 25 lbs BRS Reef Saver Rock
  • 20 lbs Fiji Pink Live Sand
To start this build, I wanted to put some effort into creating the right stand for the tank. Rather than starting from scratch, I found an entertainment center for a good price (thanks Craigslist!), that was deep enough to hold the tank. Here it is below:

01414_50OA782zWCm_1200x900.jpg

To prep it for the tank, I got rid of the tube TV, took the doors and drawer out from above it, and made new doors and drawers for below.

20170709_121746.jpg

20170711_163507.jpg

Tank fits! The large blank space above the tank was originally going to be a TV mount, however my roommate provided a TV that is much too large for that space, so it'll be a nice spot for a painting. The door directly above the tank gives me 9" of access, and the cabinet below is great for electrical and storage. The final stand was given a grey paint scheme and hauled into place.

20170917_230408.jpg

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the entertainment center stand was finally moved to my new apartment, I spent some time wiring and sorting out the support system before filling the tank. I installed a GFI outlet where I'd be drawing my power, and ran a surge protected strip. After almost endless zip ties and sticky mounts, I'm reasonably happy with it. At least it's fairly organized!

20170914_213417.jpg

So I finally get to add water! Almost. My TDS meter was telling me I'm getting 210ppm from the tap, and my ordered RODI unit won't be arriving for another few days. Luckily the LFS sold RODI for a reasonable price with 0 TDS. After dry aquascaping, I liked the look of two islands, with a sandbed split in the middle. If I decide to have quicker growing/invasive corals (Xenia, GSP), they could be relegated to an island.
20170917_230509.jpg
20170917_230500.jpg

The rocks (BRS Reef Saver) were not cured, just rinsed well. I went back and forth on this, as the BRS FAQ has conflicting information, however I haven't seen any phosphates in the tank yet.

This is where I am now. I have just started the cycle with Dr. Tim's, and will be 'feeding' it with Ammonia.

Last edited:

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wide open sand bed like that will be perfect for any plates or zoa islands you want to create!

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to running the tank, currently I have the provided filter socks in place. My plan is to utilize these, and place a bag of carbon or chemipure blue in the 2nd chamber to control nitrates/phosphates. I've heard many people switch out the socks for the caddy, what benefits do they have and what would you suggest I have running?

My thoughts on stocking are to have a pair of clownfish and a flame hawkfish. Are there other fish you would recommend for a tank this size?

For corals, I would like to not have to dose, and have 5 gallon water changes weekly/biweekly to replace the consumed elements. So I'll focus mostly on softies, with a few LPS. I'd like a hammer, along with a zoa garden, leather, and such. Once the tank settles in and matures (~6 months), I'd love to add a single SPS, but I'll need to keep track of my element usage.

So for now, I'll let me tank cycle. Keep an eye on it, and get ready for fish. I'll be setting up a 10 gallon with HOB filter, Tetra preset heater, and Koralia Hydor 425 powerhead as a QT for fish additions. I don't have another light, so coral additions will be dipped in Coral Rx and then added to the tank.

Please let me know what you think about this setup, whether there is anything I should be thinking of, or tips! Thanks!

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kyl! I was thinking the front right rock might make a nice zoa garden. I really like the open look, like Chris Kriens' 160. It means less coral than a wall type, but I like the flow, and will (hopefully) be running this without dosing.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to running the tank, currently I have the provided filter socks in place. My plan is to utilize these, and place a bag of carbon or chemipure blue in the 2nd chamber to control nitrates/phosphates. I've heard many people switch out the socks for the caddy, what benefits do they have and what would you suggest I have running?

My thoughts on stocking are to have a pair of clownfish and a flame hawkfish. Are there other fish you would recommend for a tank this size?

For corals, I would like to not have to dose, and have 5 gallon water changes weekly/biweekly to replace the consumed elements. So I'll focus mostly on softies, with a few LPS. I'd like a hammer, along with a zoa garden, leather, and such. Once the tank settles in and matures (~6 months), I'd love to add a single SPS, but I'll need to keep track of my element usage.

So for now, I'll let me tank cycle. Keep an eye on it, and get ready for fish. I'll be setting up a 10 gallon with HOB filter, Tetra preset heater, and Koralia Hydor 425 powerhead as a QT for fish additions. I don't have another light, so coral additions will be dipped in Coral Rx and then added to the tank.

Please let me know what you think about this setup, whether there is anything I should be thinking of, or tips! Thanks!
The socks are awful to clean because they're not so easy to turn inside out, and to do it properly you'll need more than one set. I far prefer floss, but that comes with it's own problems. If you're in the US the two-colour bonded floss that InTank carries is the best stuff I have ever used; firm, cuts well and doesn't give a bunch of tiny floss particles once cut. If you're not, or can't source that exact stuff then little particles will zip around for a day or so after changing floss. It also is an ongoing cost, though pretty minor. Particulate filtering is not as good as a sock, but if you really want to polish the water for some reason just run the sock for a few hours.

As for caddy's, I've used both the IM ones and the InTank, and honestly you get what you pay for. I've found the IM ones have swollen just enough that getting the cover on / off has required filing the edge down a bit. It's possible the quality of acrylic is lower, I'm not well versed on how much different types swell. There is definitely a build quality difference, the IM feels like something that would have been made by a lower end DIY'er (like myself!).

I actually don't use anything else in the media racks other than floss up top and Seachem Matrix down below. I run a carbon / gfo mixture in an IM minmax reactor instead. Nitrates haven't been a problem when I've had stock in (average about 1-2 when testing), but I don't go nuts with feeding and mostly rely on LRS reef frenzy nano for 90% of my tank food.

Not sure if that hawkfish will have enough room, but I've never kept one so that's just a wild guess. I prefer smaller fish and have had success with clowns, a pinkstreaked wrasse, tailspot blenny and golden assessor so far. Gobies are another species that has tons of variation.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyl, thanks for your response, it is a lot of helpful information!

I bought some LFS filter floss, once that runs out I'll check into the InTank floss. So far no problem cutting, and it didn't release particles when I initially ran it. Sounds like I should pony up and get the caddy's.

What is your thought running the Seachem Matrix? That is basically a natural rock/media with high surface area for more beneficial bacteria to grow, like live rock, correct? Did you find you needed additional biofiltration from just the DT?

As for the fish you mentioned, a golden assessor is intriguing. A little expensive for my initial stocking ($100 on LA), but something to think about. Similarly, candy basslets are on of my favorite fish just due to coloration.

As for the pinkstreaked wrasse, I'll admit I have heard so much about wrasses temperament and non-reef compatability that I wasn't even spending time researching them. However I notice LA claims the pinkstreaked is reef safe, so I will definitely look into it!

Thanks again for your input!

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your thought running the Seachem Matrix? That is basically a natural rock/media with high surface area for more beneficial bacteria to grow, like live rock, correct? Did you find you needed additional biofiltration from just the DT?
It's a type of pumice for bacteria to home, but honestly I don't really have anything else to run in the media racks so it's either that or nothing. Is it helping at all? I really have no way of knowing. The times I've pulled the rack out the rock has been pretty clean, so I believe it's not hurting anything at least. The marco rock is pretty solid versus something like pukani, but again, who really knows.

As for the fish you mentioned, a golden assessor is intriguing. A little expensive for my initial stocking ($100 on LA), but something to think about. Similarly, candy basslets are on of my favorite fish just due to coloration.
I only picked up the assessor as someone had it ordered in at a local LFS then flaked out and lost their deposit, so it got it for $50 CAD (probably around ~38 USD?). It's an ORA assessor, eats everything. A kind of dull colouring though, if you're looking for a vibrant yellow fish this isn't it.

As for the pinkstreaked wrasse, I'll admit I have heard so much about wrasses temperament and non-reef compatability that I wasn't even spending time researching them. However I notice LA claims the pinkstreaked is reef safe, so I will definitely look into it!
Pink streak is also a sort of dull pink / purple, but the orange eyes look neat and its cryptic nature has it zipping around the tank quite often. It will display at the tailspot blenny, but I've had zero problems with it or any of the other fish actually nipping at eachother.

Good luck with your tank!

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a type of pumice for bacteria to home, but honestly I don't really have anything else to run in the media racks so it's either that or nothing. Is it helping at all? I really have no way of knowing. The times I've pulled the rack out the rock has been pretty clean, so I believe it's not hurting anything at least. The marco rock is pretty solid versus something like pukani, but again, who really knows.

I think I'll be going with the caddy's as they seem to offer a lot more potential (and slightly less maintenance) over the filter socks. I'll go low cost on this with the IM, I can handle a lower build quality here than on more important pieces of equipment. Planning on running filter floss, chemipure blue, and Seachem matrix. I like the idea of having cycled biomedia in the basket, ready to be transferred to a QT for immediate setup.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI unit came in last night! Good timing too, my ATO reservoir was on its last legs. I didn't realize how quickly that much water would evaporate!

20170920_165337.jpg

I was able to temporarily connect it, and primed it. TDS coming out is 0, with waste at 310ppm. I'll be more permanently attaching it this coming weekend.

No updates in the cycling over the past 4 days. Ammonia is still at 2ppm, with no measured change. However my colorimetry options on the red sea test are 2 or 1.2, with no higher value.

My quarantine tank has been rinsed and should be ready to go once I have cycled media.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update!

Almost three weeks into the cycle, the tank is processing 2ppm of ammonia in 2 days, so it's close but not quite ready. I had a minor diatom bloom at 2 weeks, and was honestly expecting much worse. I guess using dry rock, bagged sand, and rodi softened the blow. It went away, and I haven't had anything else take it's place.

20170925_191023.jpg

My QT is now in use! I picked up two clowns a week ago. The smaller white/orange is incredibly active, swimming all over the tank, while the black/white is more reserved and sticking to the pvc. They are getting along well, and don't appear to have any diseases.

They were under observation for a week, and now I'll be doing a week of prophylactic treatment.

I'm planning on attending Reef-A-Palooza here in LA this weekend, always have wanted to check out a marine convention. It might be a little early, but I'm considering picking up 2-3 corals (likely softies) while there.

Do you think it'd be too soon for a few softies? By the weekend the tank should be processing 2ppm ammonia in 24 hours. I don't have a second light to do a coral QT, but I will do a Coral Rx dip.

As always, please comment or provide feedback! I'm just trying to learn as much as possible and avoid some mistakes.

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great!

Was 20lbs enough sand for that wide of a tank? Do you wish you had a little more?

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is looking great!

Was 20lbs enough sand for that wide of a tank? Do you wish you had a little more?

Thanks Colin!

20 lbs was the perfect amount for me. Gives about 3/4"-1" of sand, with the rocks placed directly on the glass. I wouldn't consider adding more, for my preference. Are you starting a 25 Lagoon?

Colin Levy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am! I have the tank and all the equipment ready, just finishing painting the stand.

How do you like the Tunze Nano ATO? Any issues with it? I have the same one.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am! I have the tank and all the equipment ready, just finishing painting the stand.

How do you like the Tunze Nano ATO? Any issues with it? I have the same one.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions about the setup.

After having a 20gal without ATO, it's the best thing ever. I wouldn't consider another tank without one. Specifically the Tunze (I haven't used others), works well. It's very loud, but not on all that often. The next model up has the redundant optical/mechanical sensors, which might be nice in the long run for safety, but I'll make sure to clean the float sensor every so often.

I'm running it out of a ~1.25 gallon container, and it goes through that in about 3-4 days. Once the corals get going that would be where I would add kalkwasser, if I need to.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R :D, that is a beautiful entertainment center and what a great place for your tank. Your setup looks great and those clowns are beautiful, will be following :)

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off welcome to R2R :D, that is a beautiful entertainment center and what a great place for your tank. Your setup looks great and those clowns are beautiful, will be following :)

Thanks Chris! I'm glad forums like this exist, there is so much to learn!

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next chapter.

I'm planning coral placement, and want to avoid any nuking between corals.

Demo.png

Above is my quickly diagrammed plan. The pattenered parts of the drawing are the higher spots of the rock.

20170916_124056.jpg

What are everyone's thoughts on the placements? How about the 3 or so open areas I still am deciding on what to fill with. Besides other euphyllia, what can go next to a hammer coral and withstand stinging?

As mentioned, I'm avoiding corals on the sandbed, and will likely only keep one SPS.

For flow, I upgraded the stock IM pump to a Sicce 1.5, I couldn't stand the noise. So ~300gph from the dual returns in the back, and a single Koralia 425 that will be placed on the left or right glass.

OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think it's time for an update.

I've recently acquired some frags to start the tank! Mostly LPS, but with a nice Zoa garden.

Some of the corals are from the guys at Aqua SD. Local to me, they've got a great store and an impressive selection! Got the Indo torch from them, it was a bit more in my budget than some of the cool Australians, and still looks amazing. Plus a transparent yellow film to filter blue light for photos. Not professional, but makes the cell pics better.

20171026_104023.jpg

20171026_103823.jpg
20171026_103852.jpg

Yes, I do have a Xenia in the tank. I only have so much patience, so it'll be nice to watch something grow quickly while waiting for the rest.

Most of the zoas are doing great, only one refuses to open. Can anyone easily ID some of them from the picture? I'm not sure what names they have, if any.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Syoung

Syoung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Year, New Me update.

My new years resolution: don't change anything (about the tank)

Since my last update, two months ago, things have really taken off.

Uglies

I went through some of the new tank uglies, I had diatoms (3 weeks) followed by cyano/spirulina (3 weeks).

20171206_183244.jpg

Cyanobacteria covering the sand bed

Through both outbreaks, I made no changes to my routine, equipment, or added any chemicals. They both cleared on their own as the tank settles in.

Currently

20180104_190400.jpg

Current full tank photo

I'm still deciding on where to put the Favia's more permanently, the Xenia is growing the fastest (of course), and the Toadstool is just hanging there for now.

Zoas are starting to encrust the rock well, the monti cap has grown ~1/4" radially, and the Birdsnest has taken off. I have plenty of feather dusters and pineapple sponges appearing. Sadly, the clowns have started nipping at my hands while cleaning. It's just annoying!

20180104_185545.jpg

Monty and Thea hanging out at the Zoa Garden

20180104_185532.jpg

Bottom left clockwise (sps only): Birdsnest, Acro 'Red Planet', Acan, Acro Tenius 'Blue', Acro 'She Hulk', unnamed Acro

I added a number of acros, and they are beginning to settle in and encrust as well. If anyone is able to identify scientific names of the acros, I would appreciate it!

So what have I learned?

My ATO has been the source of most of my headaches.

Mostly my fault, and I'm much better off with it than without, but two things happened.
  1. My ATO reservoir (food grade plastic container), developed a crack and leaked (I suspect kalkwasser deteriorated the plastic). No problem, but I do not currently have a suitable reservoir.
  2. I would remove the pump, take the reservoir to the rodi unit, fill, and replace. Often the pump would not properly prime, leading it to not pumping water upon replacement. This was hard to check if the aquarium was not low on water.
  3. I need a consistent way to scrape the side glass. It's too cramped (outside the tank) to use a magnetic scraper, and I need to find a good long handled scraper.
Moving forward
  • I'm trying to find a budget friendly reservoir that I can use with kalkwasser and refill in place.
  • I'm also going to get my next fish addition, a flame hawkfish. He'll be spending a month in QT before joining.

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments please let me know. Always looking to avoid mistakes and learn more.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back