Syphon Break Question

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So realized my ATO was syphoning due to it being taller than my sump. My question is if I drill a hole in the ATO tube where I indicate in my drawing, will it reliably break the syphon?
20210714_011723.jpg

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is water siphoning from the sump to your ATO or the other way around? If you drill a hole there I think you’ll spring a leak when the pump turns on

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said you could drill a hole but water will shoot out when the pump comes on.

What you can do is install a T piece with a short hose pointing up and that will stop it squirting all over the place.

Or you could drill the hole you suggest but make sure the hole is pointing back into the ATO container so the spray goes down. That’s how the Apex ATK works if you use the anti siphon attachment.

OP
OP
Steelheader09

Steelheader09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As already said you could drill a hole but water will shoot out when the pump comes on.

What you can do is install a T piece with a short hose pointing up and that will stop it squirting all over the place.

Or you could drill the hole you suggest but make sure the hole is pointing back into the ATO container so the spray goes down. That’s how the Apex ATK works if you use the anti siphon attachment.
Im not worried about spraying. The ATO container is a 5gal bucket with a lid on i i notched for the tube and pump cord. Thank you!

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATO to sump
I recommend lifting some of the line above the water line of your ato, that way your pump has to pump it uphill instead of down. Also if you have the exit port submerged then raise it slightly above the water line in the sump as well. Hope this helps reefer

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back