OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 250 for a macro tank, I only run 2 of the 6 t5 bulbs, why would this be bad for the ballast?

It is not.
Since posting that, I have done a little reading... Flourescent bulbs do not draw power the same way an incandescent bulb does. To put it simply, the ballast controls the power supplied to the bulbs. Therefore, weather or not a bulb is in the socket is irrelevant.

Running fewer bulbs in the fixture will NOT hurt the ballasts or fixture.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
J suspect your problem was the sudden change in par.

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about just running 5 bulbs that's what I do in my max 250 . I have 550 par just below water surface and 100 par on sandbed.
Sorry for bumping this old thread but got a question that I cant find the answer too. I hace the ati t5 fixture 4bulb none dimmable. I want to use only 3 bulbs tho, would i be able to remove a bulb and run only 1 bulb in one ballast?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running Red Sea Max250 with the good ol 6 bulb T5 config.
Back to front:
Blue+
Actinic
Blue+
Actinic
Blue+
Coral+
I also added a 36" reefbrite actinic strip to the front of the hood to get some nice coral pop.

I find that I'm having issues with too much light for many of my corals.
Since I run high DKH, (~9.5) I'm riding the line of tip burning some of my acros.
Will swapping out one of my blue+ bulbs be an effective method of reducing PAR?
Is this what you've got from reading my other post this morning?
There is more to it... Like I've said, PAR is what each meter can read. That doesn't mean that what you see in that meter is the "reason why" anything "bad" is happening. If even anything bad IS actually happening in the first place.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for bumping this old thread but got a question that I cant find the answer too. I hace the ati t5 fixture 4bulb none dimmable. I want to use only 3 bulbs tho, would i be able to remove a bulb and run only 1 bulb in one ballast?
Why do you want to use only 3 bulbs?
Get all the surface are of the tank covered.

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm down to only 3 bulbs in the fixture.
Blue+
Actinic
Aquablue special

ReefBrite Actinic strip.

Was torching corals with all 6 bulbs and the ReefBrite.

Also, my alk is 8.0-8.2 now.

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want to use only 3 bulbs?
Get all the surface are of the tank covered.
Well i have the innovative marine 30l and im also usin a reefbrite, and wit 4 bulbs, the spill is way to much. So i want to do 3 bulbs n reefbrite xho

OP
OP
SamMule

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend getting or renting a PAR meter. Think you will be surprised at how much light that ReefBrite puts out.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I'm down to only 3 bulbs in the fixture.
Blue+
Actinic
Aquablue special

ReefBrite Actinic strip.

Was torching corals with all 6 bulbs and the ReefBrite.

Also, my alk is 8.0-8.2 now.

Well i have the innovative marine 30l and im also usin a reefbrite, and wit 4 bulbs, the spill is way to much. So i want to do 3 bulbs n reefbrite xho
Don't remove the T5s.
If there is any problem with lights, the ReefBrite should be the one to be removed.
There is no need for "supplementation" if you have the T5s covering your tank nicely.
The health of your corals is more important than any "aesthetic needs" of yours.
Try to remove the ReefBrites and you will solve the lighting problems, if that's the case.

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't remove the T5s.
If there is any problem with lights, the ReefBrite should be the one to be removed.
There is no need for "supplementation" if you have the T5s covering your tank nicely.
The health of your corals is more important than any "aesthetic needs" of yours.
Try to remove the ReefBrites and you will solve the lighting problems, if that's the case.
Nah, i like the reefbrite, gives a nice pop to the corals.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get another LED because, IF that is giving you any lighting problems, it shouldn't be there.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I already answered this the other day. A true T5 ballast will not run only one bulb if it is designed to run 2. The circuit must be completed. This is a major safety issue. Any ballast that will send power to an empty slot, is asking for trouble at some point.

But go pull out a bulb and try to fire them all up. Pretty simple to test.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already answered this the other day. A true T5 ballast will not run only one bulb if it is designed to run 2. The circuit must be completed. This is a major safety issue. Any ballast that will send power to an empty slot, is asking for trouble at some point.

That is also true. Pretty easy to find out trying.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to do what I did. Swap out the ATI four bulb for a two bulb Reef Brite Supra Slimline with two XHOs.

The two T5 bulbs I'm currently running with the XHOs are an ATI Actinic and Reef Brite 50/50.

Albz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So what if i get a burnt out bulb n place it in the slot just to fill it up for safety reasons?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back