T5 actinic par question

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Does anyone have the par numbers for T5 actinic bulbs.
I usually go with ATI bulbs in my fixture.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In an actively cooled ATI fixture they put out around 600 PAR at the bulb new/broken in. That drops to 250 after 9 months. A blue Plus puts out 1150 PAR New at the bulb and drops very little over its life.

As for in the tank, I cannot say as I have no way of measuring only 1 bulb.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the par numbers for T5 actinic bulbs.
I usually go with ATI bulbs in my fixture.
How many bulbs, mounting height, fixture/ reflectors, tank depth, and where in tank you want to measure ( bottom/ top) all matter… impossible to answer with just this

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why the output drops so much faster than the B+ considering the B+ is composed of a large portion of actinic.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why the output drops so much faster than the B+ considering the B+ is composed of a large portion of actinic.
It is weird but I’ve tested every ATI bulb except AB Special. Actinic and Purple Plus lose a ton of output over time where B+ and C+ lose like 10-15%.

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My goal was to drop the par numbers I'm getting from my 6 x 24 watt T5 fixture. With this fixture it's 2 bulbs, 4 bulbs, or all 6
With a pair of Reef Brite XHO strips on each side and using all Blue + bulbs I'm getting par numbers higher than I want when all 6 bulbs are on, but lower than I want when only 2 bulbs are on.
I could use just the 4 bulb side, but would prefer to use all the bulbs and get the wider spread.
I thought going with a few actinic bulbs the par numbers would be less than the Blue+ bulbs.
Raising the fixture higher in not an option.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal was to drop the par numbers I'm getting from my 6 x 24 watt T5 fixture. With this fixture it's 2 bulbs, 4 bulbs, or all 6
With a pair of Reef Brite XHO strips on each side and using all Blue + bulbs I'm getting par numbers higher than I want when all 6 bulbs are on, but lower than I want when only 2 bulbs are on.
I could use just the 4 bulb side, but would prefer to use all the bulbs and get the wider spread.
I thought going with a few actinic bulbs the par numbers would be less than the Blue+ bulbs.
Looks like the actinic bulbs are about 30% less par.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that tank must be BLUUUUEEEEEE.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After the burn in period, actinic bulbs have PAR close to the Blue Plus. I don’t have the link handy but will see if I can dig it up

Edit: I think this is the link. Go to the charts for the readings. After burn in is surprising to see

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You use 6 blue plus bulbs with 2 xho blue? That must look horrible. What is there even to look at in the tank?
Why would you even care what my tank looks like.
Worry about your own

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After the burn in period, actinic bulbs have PAR close to the Blue Plus. I don’t have the link handy but will see if I can dig it up

Edit: I think this is the link. Go to the charts for the readings. After burn in is surprising to see

Thank-you

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The output will be slightly less with actinics. A decent apogee meter will have been optimized to be able to read wavelengths that short without much error. A decade or two ago, and it’s a different conversation but they’ve improved to read deep violet light very well. But yes, the output is slightly less. Visually much dimmer. Can you not also raise the lights higher to reduce intensity? Are your leds dimmed or just on/off?

OP
OP
mfinn

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The output will be slightly less with actinics. A decent apogee meter will have been optimized to be able to read wavelengths that short without much error. A decade or two ago, and it’s a different conversation but they’ve improved to read deep violet light very well. But yes, the output is slightly less. Visually much dimmer. Can you not also raise the lights higher to reduce intensity? Are your leds dimmed or just on/off?
I have a Apogee MQ-510 to measure the par.
My small tank is in the room where I sit at my computer and I am trying to minimize the light glare.
The fixture is at 8" above the water and the glare isn't bad.
The leds are just on/off.
I was hoping the actinic would have enough less par to use a couple of them.

But doesn't look like it.
Maybe if I can diy a decent looking light shade, them raising the fixture up higher would be my solution.

Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back