Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here some inspiration for you boys... 2 X 250W metal halide and 4 X 54W T5s:

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 10.22.19 PM.png

The system above had T5s only for 10+ years!
Offer the best and you will have the best results!
At one point my T5 6 bulb ATI Sunpower was only 4 - 5 inches from the top zoas. Best colors/health and reproduction, just like in the ocean. Treat your corals with love and give them the best you can!
I know what I'm talking about.

When I want a tank full of brown zoas I know who to talk to at least.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I want a tank full of brown zoas I know who to talk to at least.
Those are the only species we can collect with permit where I live. The zoas you guys get from the store aren't available here in Hawaii. The ones we have are less colorful, but not brown.
I hope your friends here will tell you what you want to hear.
Good luck with your choice.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're confused. You need to choose the type of fixture you want first and plan to get it. I don't put price tag before my priorities setting up my systems, so I don't suggest to others. I think quality is what's important in the long run. We call this a hobby, but we are keeping live organisms.
I can't just suggest 2 T5 bulbs if you are still undecided about the fixtures in the first place.
ReefBrites does not substitute T5s.
If you keep asking here everyone will give you all different types of suggestions and you'll be even more confused. Set up your priorities and go for it. If the priority is cheap, you won't get the best out of your zoas. You get the results for what you pay for.
Isn’t that the point of the forum to get information from more than one source? Not all of us can throw endless money at this or any other hobby but we can still enjoy it just the same. After all there is a whole section and lots of threads about DIY.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t that the point of the forum to get information from more than one source? Not all of us can throw endless money at this or any other hobby but we can still enjoy it just the same. After all there is a whole section and lots of threads about DIY.
Yes, I just gave MY suggestion. He can do whatever he wants. I won't change my mind though. It will all depend on what results he is looking for. I like DIY too.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly

Me: "hey what 2 $20 bulbs should I buy"
Him: "You must buy a $500 fixture (minimum) and $120 worth of bulbs, this isnt a hobby these are living organisms."

This happens everytime i ask a question on here. I get people that tell me I have to do something completely different and when I tell them thats not what they asked they parrot the same old line "Oooo, you just want someone to tell you what you want to hear" No, I just want my question answered and not be told to do something completely different. Its like they copy and paste eachother

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I just gave MY suggestion. He can do whatever he wants. I won't change my mind though. It will all depend on what results he is looking for. I like DIY too.
Can you go away? I dont take advise for zoa lighting from people with a tank full of brown zoas. Thanks

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly

Me: "hey what 2 $20 bulbs should I buy"
Him: "You must buy a $500 fixture (minimum) and $120 worth of bulbs, this isnt a hobby these are living organisms."

This happens everytime i ask a question on here. I get people that tell me I have to do something completely different and when I tell them thats not what they asked they parrot the same old line "Oooo, you just want someone to tell you what you want to hear" No, I just want my question answered and not be told to do something completely different. Its like they copy and paste eachother
People want to tell you the truth... what's the best! Not what you want to hear.
You should just go ahead and buy what you want then.
If you ask here, the experienced people will tell you the truth and what they think it's the best. They want to help you.
I just proved to you that zoas love strong light.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People want to tell you the truth... what's the best! Not what you want to hear.
You should just go ahead and buy what you want then.
If you ask here, the experienced people will tell you the truth and what they think it's the best. They want to help you.
I just proved to you that zoas love strong light.

And I will continue to tell experienced (dogmatic) reefers on here to kick rocks if they ignore my questions and demand i do something completely different than I asked about. You proved that you can grow common zoas and turn them brown, CONGRATS on that amazing feat.

Whats it gonna take to get you to leave? Do you need the last word in my thread? Is that it?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a cheap coralife 48w 2 bulb 24 inch T5 light for my zoa tank. Tank is 23.62 x 14.17 x 7.09

Couple questions:
Is just 2 bulbs enough to cover the tank?

With the tank being so shallow, it could be that 2 bulbs would be enough. I think 4 would be better.

As for 6: I don't think a 6 bulb fixture would fit over a 14" wide tank, and it would be overkill for 7" deep.

How high should i mount them?

Somewhere around 6-8" is probably reasonable. You may want to go pretty low if you are really trying to just use 2 bulbs. Of course, then you will deal with a little salt creep on the light.

What 2 bulbs would be best for growing zoas? Im thinking ATI Blue plus for one but no idea what to do with the other.

Really, any quality bulbs from ATI or Giesemann or some others will grow corals. Most people that keep zoas want the fluorescent type color. For 2 bulbs I would probably just go with 2 Blue+. If you went with 4 bulbs, as I think would be more ideal, I would do something like: 2 Blue+, 1 coral+, and an actinic from Giesemann or purple +.

Also considering adding a reefbrite if these 2 bulbs arent enough to cover the 14 inch depth.

I'm not experienced with reefbrites. But if you are thinking of spending the money on those fixtures, I would suggest just spending that money on a 4 bulb T5 fixture instead.

OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Plus Blue Plus 1:1 ratio is great. I run three of each in my six bulb. It's pretty blue to my eye, but I'm old school. The Coral Plus really brings out the reds and purples.
Thanks, do you have any pics of the color that look pretty true to in person?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank was commissioned eight weeks ago. It's really is hard to get a good pic with my phone.
IMG_20200921_210342.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look washed out like the picture. The rocks are pink and purple and red with coralline. The yellow on the Starcki damsel is bright, and the elongate dottyback is nice and pink. The C+ brings out all the colors, while the B+ shows fluorescence. It's insanely bright, I'm burning in the bulbs for 50 hours at 100% right now before I can dim them, hence the light height. Tomorrow I'll lower it to 8" or so so I don't feel like I'm in a tanning bed in my chair. Check out some of Big E's pictures, they are a much better representation of the C+/B+ combo than my crappy phone pic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fakegolfnews

Fakegolfnews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't look washed out like the picture. The rocks are pink and purple and red with coralline. The yellow on the Starcki damsel is bright, and the elongate dottyback is nice and pink. The C+ brings out all the colors, while the B+ shows fluorescence. It's insanely bright, I'm burning in the bulbs for 50 hours at 100% right now before I can dim them, hence the light height. Tomorrow I'll lower it to 8" or so so I don't feel like I'm in a tanning bed in my chair. Check out some of Big E's pictures, they are a much better representation of the C+/B+ combo than my crappy phone pic.

The site wont let me search anything for the last few days, just says "no results found" can you link it?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 bulb T5 fixture. 4 blue+ and 2 coral +. 18" wide 125 gal.

I'm bad at pictures. The photo looks bluer than reality. And I just have 4 colonies of zoas in various places.

20191216_211604.jpg 20191216_211335.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back