T5 HO's to LED's

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning All,

Thanks for the add! This is my first post here although I have been lurking here and there.

I have been using T5's for several years but have always wanted to try LED's. An opportunity presented itself and I was able to pick up three of the a160we's for a steal of a price. Also included the goosenecks and the controller as well.

My tank is a 125 gallon, 72" long standard. I know the 360's would be ideal, but again for the price I paid it was worth a try. The person I purchased the lights from had the same tank with great results.

My current livestock is 3 Clowns and a Sailfin Tang, a few zoa frags, hammer coral, frogspawn, pulsing xenia and mushrooms.

I am looking for help with the acclimation, moving from T5's to the LED's. I see the controller offers this as an option but wasn't sure if I should follow this as I think it is for adding new inhabitants after the lights have been established.

How high should I have them above the water line? I see many say approx. 8" or high enough so that the light isn't spilling outside of the tank. Is this a reasonable approach?

Finally, what is everyone else using for their light schedule? I would love to see some examples to try out.

I have always used glass tops but made my own mesh tops this past weekend so the glass ones will be stored.

My current light schedule: Aquaticlife T5 8 Bulb Fixture (non ramping)
Moon on at 11:00am,
Actinic. on at 1:00pm,
moon lights off at 1:00pm
10k on at 2:00pm.
10k off at 5:00pm
Actinic off at 6:00pm
Moon on at 7:00pm
Moon off at 10:00pm

I apologize this is so long.

Thanks in advance!

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 Kessil 360we over my 40 breeder. Intensity and color were both set at 100%. I didn't ramp the lights at all. They were on for 11 hrs a day.

I would start at 50% intensity and increase every few days or so. The color is totally up you.

And welcome to R2R:)

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181229_160414.gif

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to get the lights hung and fully operational.

I have set the controller to “Acclamation Mode” at 14 days. Color is set to 30% and Intensity is set at 35%. Currently it is 7% so I am guess that will auto increases with this mode.

My question now is does anyone know of the Acclimation Mode is on it’s own programmed timer or do I need to manually turn everything off at night?

I see ramping and timer options under the manual and quick set modes but no timer under acclimation mode.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
GotZoom05

GotZoom05

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up reaching out to Kessil and they advised that Quickset 1 must be programmed with schedule in order for the Acclimation Mode to follow.

Super easy to set up once I knew that. Anyways, thanks for the other info and hopefully my finding will be able to help others.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back