T5 on a Frag tank

quicksil328

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
79
Reaction score
61
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need some input on lighting a new frag tank I am setting up. Dimensions are 36 x 24 x 12. It will be a stand alone system. I currently have 6x80 watt ati t5 on my 190 display so wanted to stick to t5. I was looking at some coralife fixtures, 2 x 39 watt, 36 inch fixtures. Any thoughts or suggestions?
 
If your growing SPS I would suggest going with at least a 4 bulb fixture. I have a 48x24x12 and run a 6 bulb Tek fixture with good results.
 
What about using 2 24 inch fixtures across the width of the tank?
 
I don't think the Coralife fixtures will give you the par you will need, but you won't know for sure until you try.
 
That's what I was wondering. I think the fixtures are under 39 watts.
 
24" bulbs are also 24 watts. So each fixture will be 48 watts. So you will have less than 100 watts total. Also take into account that Coralife fixtures are not the most efficient fixtures available.
 
That was my thought as well. I am trying to keep the cost down some because I am actually setting this up for my son's. I paid around 700 for my fixture and I am trying to avoid that and just let them get their feet wet . Lol
 
Yeah, you have a point there.
 
Thanks for the advice
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 19.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new