T5 or LED

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon Mixed Reef.

I've been thinking lately about changing my lights from LED to T5. My corals seem to be happy with my setup of LED Zoas grow like crazy but I love the look that the T5 gives to the coral just seems to make them pop more. With my leds now they just seem blah color wise. If I were to go T5 what wattage would I need or should I go a combo and keep my Leds and just at T5 bulbs with a mount?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gallon Mixed Reef.

I've been thinking lately about changing my lights from LED to T5. My corals seem to be happy with my setup of LED Zoas grow like crazy but I love the look that the T5 gives to the coral just seems to make them pop more. With my leds now they just seem blah color wise. If I were to go T5 what wattage would I need or should I go a combo and keep my Leds and just at T5 bulbs with a mount?
I would suggest looking into a hybrid option. What LEDS are you currently using? The Aquatic life fixtures allow you to utilize your current LEDS and add 4 T5's :)

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try and go hybrid led and t5. I had led, switched to t5, then added the orphek bars for the led punch. Couldn’t be happier with my current setup for lighting.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running 2 Chinese black boxes
Unfortunately the aquatic life cannot accommodate those. are your lights in a canopy or hanging over the tank?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a floating canopy with something like the LET retrofit would work for you? Have you investigated board options for your black boxes? Seems there are a few companies making replacement boards with different diodes that may help in the coloration department. Not sure if that's an economical choice or not? Cant go wrong with T5s though.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Retro for kit.
But hanging Heith will determine if the t5 is effective.

OP
OP
Pittsburgh88

Pittsburgh88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a floating canopy with something like the LET retrofit would work for you? Have you investigated board options for your black boxes? Seems there are a few companies making replacement boards with different diodes that may help in the coloration department. Not sure if that's an economical choice or not? Cant go wrong with T5s though.
That's what I was thinking as well nd you are correct T5s look great

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back