T5 or LED?

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
idk if you consider AI primes good LEDs, but that's what I have. i'm just saying, with how close i have them to the water, they shade a lot of sps, so in retrospect i think i would've preferred the t5 hybrid route or maybe hanging the lights so they don't shade quite as much

..i didn't say anything about system performance, not sure what you're getting at there
Sorry maybe my comment came across too dry.
I agree with you, hence I also run combo.
I was just sayin that you can run great reefas with led only.
Sometimes people will think one factor is the reason behind coral success or failure while many of the times it's not that simple..
Cheers

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with just T5s and really enjoyed them. I now run a hybrid system with both T5 and LED and absolutely love it. The combo together is the perfect set up for me at least!

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the hybrids and they are nice. I don't know what people are talking about with heat from t-5. I have a t-5/ halide combo and my temp goes from 76 to 78. There are days I only run the t-5's and my temp doesn't even budge. And that's 8 t-5's.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the hybrids and they are nice. I don't know what people are talking about with heat from t-5. I have a t-5/ halide combo and my temp goes from 76 to 78. There are days I only run the t-5's and my temp doesn't even budge. And that's 8 t-5's.
My T5s have always been in a hood. I think that is where my heat issues came from. The one tank I have the is MH, does not have heat issues, but they are open air.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry maybe my comment came across too dry.
I agree with you, hence I also run combo.
I was just sayin that you can run great reefas with led only.
Sometimes people will think one factor is the reason behind coral success or failure while many of the times it's not that simple..
Cheers

no worries man

i definitely didn't mean great acro tanks can't be had with led only, off the top of my head i can think of plenty. i just meant if the op was aiming for a softy/lps type of tank, a minimal amount of leds would probably suffice. but if he wanted to eventually go the sps route the t5/led hybrid seems to have pretty awesome results and coverage. mostly this is me regretting getting a 2nd prime for my tank as i probably should've gone with a t5 hybrid for roughly the same price. live and learn though!

mr9iron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of you using T5s, what bulb combo are you using? I ask as I just got the Aquatic Life T5 hybrid system to pair with my Kessil 369we over a 93 cube.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for those of you using T5s, what bulb combo are you using? I ask as I just got the Aquatic Life T5 hybrid system to pair with my Kessil 369we over a 93 cube.
I have used all blue +, 2 blue + 2 actinic and 2 blue + 2 coral + combos. BRS uses all blue + in their tanks. I like the blue/actinic with my halides and the blue/coral when I used radions

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got LED only on my display and Giesmann Aurora hybrid on my frag tank. I am finding I prefer the hybrid results so am thinking of switching my display over to hybrid. Giesemann seems to use LED as the main light source with T5 to supplement (or maybe more of a 50/50 balance between the two sources). I'm thinking of ATI for the main tank which seems more T5 heavy and LED to supplement. Not sure one is better than the other, but ATI's are easier to find it seems than the Giesemann's.

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When leds get to the point they can perform exactly the same as T5’s or MH thats when i will go full led again. Until then it will be hybrid for my. T5 with an orphek bar is my chosen setup.

Bfoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run T5 only right now. Mixed reef but mostly softies. I set up the tank and added retrofit fixtures until par got to the level I was going for. 5 tubes over a 40 breeder. 2 blue plus, 2 coral plus and one aquablue special. I used to run cheap leds and stuff lived but didn’t thrive. Algae did well though! If you’re going to use led, buy good stuff. Best thing about T5 for me is that I can’t constantly screw around with settings

n21benson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my hybrid ATI Powermodule, one of the best plug and play hybrid fixtures out there. It’s been fantastic at growing colorful sticks. One of the best decisions I’ve made for my system. :)
5A689DE5-1274-4754-8376-B3734CA641B2.jpeg

Beautiful tank!

vector824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoing lots of posts here. I have both. I'm on a budget so I bought two separate fixtures, an LED and a dual bulb T5. I run 2 ATI Coral Blue bulbs and everyone seems to like it just fine. 75gal, 48" tank.

9da1f6c09806dd7a73ab267ad8cc6fe0.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I had to choose between the 2, I'll go LED. My preference is actually the hybrid of LED/T5 used together with LED being primary and T5 being supplement.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back