T5 user safety advice

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5’s are on the way. I’m going to use the BRS recommended spectrum of 4 blue plus 2 coral plus and 2 actinics. Am I allowed to run the unit without some of the bulbs for 5 minutes so I can see what each individual bulb color looks like?

Is it best to turn off unit when changing bulbs? Or can I change the bulbs while unit is on?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 actinic? Weird.
A purple plus and 1 actinic would have been a much better choice. Depends on the unit but usually you need them all in I believe.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also check ATI’s for the best bulb combos, since they are the manufacturer of said bulbs, if you bought ATI which are the best. I would highly recommend against what brs says.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an 8 bulb. I think I'm going to end up with purple plus. I like that look.

this is the BRS spectrum. I think the green is too high and red too low for my preference. I’m going to order some purple plus just in case.
73541DC8-B8ED-4E05-ADF4-32C72CE9FEE2.png

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5’s are on the way. I’m going to use the BRS recommended spectrum of 4 blue plus 2 coral plus and 2 actinics. Am I allowed to run the unit without some of the bulbs for 5 minutes so I can see what each individual bulb color looks like?

Is it best to turn off unit when changing bulbs? Or can I change the bulbs while unit is on?
Dependant on the quantity of ballasts running these lamps, they may not ignite properly. If 2 ballasts for example you may need to put in four lamps of the eight... depends on configuration.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 11 91.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 8.3%
Back