T5's and LED?

Wbflyer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am currently using the Viperspar 165 and for the past year or more it has done ok. birds nest is growing and most corals are showing growth. However, I have been thinking about going to T5's and LED since I have heard T5's do really well for SPS and LPS. I also have a Current Marine LED light rated at around 50 watts that I could use in conjunction with the T5's.

1. what are your thoughts on T5 and LEDs?
2. My tanks is 16 X 36. Should I get a 36" fixture or the 24" fixture. My worry is the the 36" dimensions will be longer than the tank.

Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp

Go with a 36" with the right depth to match your 16"

T5s help with front to back light spread in conjunction with leds in the middle

Right now ATI is running 20% off until the 15th.

Just tossing it on the table

Last edited:

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 36 inch for sure.

I had 4 t5 with led hybrid on my 40 b. And it just wasn't enough. 36 would have been better and 6 bulbs at 36 inch would've been ideal.

I recently switched back to led only, and it's way better. I DIY my lights, so I went with overkill in the leds. I have excellent coverage now and and easily customizable spectrum that looks great. I would recommend this over t5s but it's not doable for everybody.

My second recommendation would be doing an 8 bulb t5 only if you could fit it. The space would be tight, but 2 inches is doable. There's no need for leds with t5s. The t5 alone are great, the only issue with them is the bulb replacement every 14 months.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back