Tableing acro help

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have quite a few acros in my tank. No issues, everything is growing well. But I have a couple nice overhangs and want to add some tableing acros to fill those spots. Any tips, tricks, advice, or knowledge on getting them to table in a certain direction? What makes them table in a particular direction? Just want to make sure I mount them in the best spots. Thanks for the help

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are going to table in any direction that has space. So if you position with that in mind you can make it work.

One of my favorites is the red tabling hyacinthus.
09E91E75-461C-441C-B7D4-8466B6271231.jpeg

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals like to table more than others. Red planet is an easy choice for a table and it grows fast. I also have a rose Milli that is a table as well. Some acroporas simply want to grow into a ball and a staghorn will never table. Efflo's and granulosa will table too given the opportunity. The best way to find one you like for your particular spot is getting a frag from your LFS display tank or a local reefer that has the one for you.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Red Planet. One of the hardiest, fastest growing tables I've seen, and they always want to table out. Just make sure you have a large rock base area because most tabling acros like to encrust a LARGE portion of rock to really secure their foot, and hold the weight of the table.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience if you hit a tabling coral with hard flow in one direction it will grow out a nice table on the opposite side. So if you don't want it growing in a specific direction hitting it hard with flow on that side will keep it from growing that way. Mounting it horizontally into the direction you want it to grow will be a good start. If you mount in vertical on top of your rocks it will probably grow out into nearby corals.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back