Taking advice from manufacturers and reps ONLY if they have nice tanks?

Do you only take advice from manufacturers and reps who have nice tanks?

• Yes

Votes: 105 28.2%
  • No

Votes: 170 45.7%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 97 26.1%

• Total voters

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting and thoughtful responses here. I want to clarify a bit what I meant above and answer some of your questions and correct some assumptions.

First, my advice to people when they read or get person-ro-person advice is to strongly consider if that advice is coming from someone who currently keeps a marine aquarium, and then to see that aquarium to help evaluate that advice. This is especially true for me for people who represent products in this hobby. This is not to say that their product was the key reason for their success (assuming they are successful, whatever that means), but rather it shows that they walk the walk. For those in the business as service people or stores, this shows in their clients or their store appearance. Does this guarantee anything in particular, of course not. However, I think someone that can show you a progression of their aquarium either in pictures or a build thread, I would certainly trust more than the person who has not had an aquarium in years and does not currently have a reef tank but gives out advice.

Julian has a number of aquariums, and they are all amazing.

My current 425g aquarium from inception can be followed in the link in the OP. To address some assumptions and assertions above - I have done nearly everything on it myself - with some help along the way with some friends. I DO NOT use a service company. I do it all myself - yes, even with a lot of travel. It has not been loaded up with tons of ready-to-go corals - most everything has been grown out from small frags. In full transparency, I have received a few things from friends in the industry as gifts, in trade, or as a beta tester or to give valuable market feedback to them.

My statement above should not be construed as "own an Apex, have this tank" as that is not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is that my experience and success in owning and keeping aquariums, including this one, DOES make me more qualified to give advice than someone who has not had a marine aquarium for X years and is trying to tell me why their skimmer is better for this reason on that. Quite simply, use the current results and path to success from those you get advice as a weighting mechanism for the advice they give - isn't 100% surefire - but it is a really good guide. Or, as @gcarroll likes to say "Show me the FTS!"

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it depends. Some people are masters of their craft with out every participating in the line they work in. I.E. Remington makes great guns however I have no clue if the man it was named after was a good hunter. :-/ I think in your case Terance it's pretty awesome you enjoy the hobby too. So many professionals get burnt out on working in their industry that at the end of the day they lose interest.

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it depends. Some people are masters of their craft with out every participating in the line they work in. I.E. Remington makes great guns however I have no clue if the man it was named after was a good hunter. :-/ I think in your case Terance it's pretty awesome you enjoy the hobby too. So many professionals get burnt out on working in their industry that at the end of the day they lose interest.
To take your example a step further - and possibly more applicable here - in general, would you trust information less, more, or the same from a guy behind the gun counter if you knew he did not own a single gun?

slayertx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To take your example a step further - and possibly more applicable here - in general, would you trust information less, more, or the same from a guy behind the gun counter if you knew he did not own a single gun?
lol well....Terence I'm sure this is no shocker but I tend to do my research well ahead of time before I buy anything. I believe when you find a sales person who is truly knowledgeable it's amazing! However in our society that's rare in most industries. Take Best Buy for example. I don't trust anything their general staff says short of finding a item for me. Again I think you are a rare gem. I think it's amazing the Neptune staff is knowledge and why I truly trust and support your brand. However part of that is because I can see somewhere in your staff there are some brilliant electronic engineers and programmers. Now if they own a tank or not, well im not sure. Yet I know they do make one heck of a quality product. Last... Most of us are extremely familiar with the brs 160 and other tanks. I don't think BRS would be nearly as successful had they not have done that. Yet I actually find their disclosure of failures to be just as valuable. So in closing... I think for a company. Ya having a sales team that is knowledgeable and experienced is very important and can make or break consumer trust. However for the back end of the company maybe not so much. Cheers!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 34 48.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back