Taking the training wheels off

Choose your TOP 3 sources for aquarium information!

• Local Fish Store

Votes: 192 34.5%
  • Reef2Reef or other forum

Votes: 529 95.1%
  • Local Hobbyist

Votes: 114 20.5%
  • Youtube Videos

Votes: 385 69.2%
  • Facebook Groups

Votes: 82 14.7%
  • Aquarium Books

Votes: 90 16.2%
  • Aquarium Blogs

Votes: 70 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 6.5%
  • Aquarium Podcast

Votes: 20 3.6%

• Total voters

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur. Also, it’s been my experience that most LFS are not a reliable source of information. Due in part to the fact that their interest lies in selling products, but also because most of the time the employees aren’t very experienced or knowledgeable. Sometimes an owner or manager is more reliable, but I’ve heard some really garbage advice from different LFS employees in the past.
True

MinnReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS employee sold this lady a lionfish without questioning anything, she wanted to get one from us (Petco) but said she would look around first. I asked the employee if there was someone asking for a lionfish and he said yeah so he ordered her one without asking or caring that the lady had a 60-gallon tank for a volitant lionfish...he said it was a sale so I'm not going to turn down an obvious sale

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning there was no information so I got my information from the fish themselves by SCUBA diving.
Then I wrote a book and if I want to know something I look it up in my book. If I disagree with something in there, I smack myself. :rolleyes:

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a guy I trust at my lfs. Also I like reading papers from marine biologists. Most of what Ive learned has come from trial and error. most people spit out numbers and formulas from books, but what works for one persons tank may not work in mine. So I don't like trying to hand out advice because if you try something that worked in my tank but yours crashes i will feel terrible.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of my information comes from here and the BRS YouTube videos. I also look at some of the blogs out there. Either way I try to confirm via multiple sources.

1. How well equipped are you to tell if someone is giving us fact or opinion?

I always check any double check information I may not have previously heard of. As I am coming up on my first full year here I have formed opinions based on build threads and through reading posts.

2. How do you wade through and determine fact from opinion?

Research and more research.

3. What factors into your decision making process?

Risk management, sources, common sense, and experience.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning there was no information so I got my information from the fish themselves by SCUBA diving.
Then I wrote a book and if I want to know something I look it up in my book. If I disagree with something in there, I smack myself. :rolleyes:

It’s a good book, I read it twice!

Back