Taking the training wheels off

Choose your TOP 3 sources for aquarium information!

• Local Fish Store

Votes: 192 34.5%
  • Reef2Reef or other forum

Votes: 529 95.1%
  • Local Hobbyist

Votes: 114 20.5%
  • Youtube Videos

Votes: 385 69.2%
  • Facebook Groups

Votes: 82 14.7%
  • Aquarium Books

Votes: 90 16.2%
  • Aquarium Blogs

Votes: 70 12.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 36 6.5%
  • Aquarium Podcast

Votes: 20 3.6%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Taking the training wheels off

I might have said this a time or two, “it’s no secret that this hobby has a steep learning curve”. And when we run into an issue, we sometimes have difficulty seeking answers to the questions that currently plague us. For most of us a good source would be the person working at the LFS, a local hobbyist, books or perhaps you turn to social media, forums or online videos. I would venture to say that the majority of us use a combination of these resources to seek answers.

The underlying concern always seems to be “how credible is the information provided?” A lot of times it’s hard to discern between fact and opinion. That in its self has a steep learning curve. In order for us to answer that question, we tend to pull from our life experiences to determine whether or not the information fits into our personal truths. On one hand you can be rooted in academia and seek hard evidence before you accept it as fact, or you can be grounded in theology and allow feeling to be your litmus test.

No matter where you fall on that spectrum a lot of times there isn’t hard evidence and we have to lean heavily on anecdotal accounts. Or the information that is provided is unquestionably true but the messenger is a bit curt.

1. How well equipped are you to tell if someone is giving us fact or opinion?

2. How do you wade through and determine fact from opinion?

3. What factors into your decision making process?

Thanks again to @Sisterlimonpot for this thoughtful QOTD!
bigstock-A-spiral-bound-book-with-the-w-28380314.jpg

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forums, books, other. Other being scientific type research papers and articles. As to the three questions....I've been doing some form of salt water since 1982/83. I've read and seen most of the BS before, so experience. Outside that I use the old does it pass the smell test? In other words is the answer given plausible, likely true, doubtful, full on nonsense?

Last edited:

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that the majority of my information comes from R2R and BRSTV. I do on occasion pop open one of my many aquarium/reefing books but find that some information/standards have become outdated.
I concur. Also, it’s been my experience that most LFS are not a reliable source of information. Due in part to the fact that their interest lies in selling products, but also because most of the time the employees aren’t very experienced or knowledgeable. Sometimes an owner or manager is more reliable, but I’ve heard some really garbage advice from different LFS employees in the past.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't miss these questions:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I walk into a local fish store I typically have 3-4 questions in my head to ask before I go digging for advice. I will absolutely buy from somewhere that frankly doesn't know an answer but far less likely to buy if they blatantly give false information. You start to learn who at LFS can answer questions honestly and who is trying to make a sale.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How well equipped are you to tell if someone is giving us fact or opinion? This takes some effort. It really depends upon the source. A qualifier in my mind when using R2R sources is the amount of time they have been on R2R and their message count and reaction score. My "go to" for quality data is @Humblefish including his forum. Also, I am a big fan of BRStv.

When I see something that seems true, I try to fact check with other sources.

I weight all the data I have gathered and go with the solution which best fits my capability. I believe small steps are best, not radical changes.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually know a little about what I'm asking, so I take everything with a grain of salt.

I will look at multiple sources and their success/failure from that choice and see if it is worth it.

I first do a quick google. If I'm not satisfied with the answer or I'm still curious, I'll look at several similar situations from places like this forum. If it feels safe, I try it out. If not, more research!

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't miss these questions:

I have been in the hobby long enough to tell when someone is talking out of their tail.

Sadly, it is hard. But I prefer when a person tells me this is what worked for me in the past. I did this then that and it worked. You can try it to see if it works for you. That person usually has my attention because it is their experience and they are telling you what worked for them and that it may work for you.

Experience, Hopefully you get good advice.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Other...EXPERIENCE. Trying something and seeing if it'll work or not is a good way to learn something. :)

Scott97062

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started out I read every aquarium book that I could find. I started with freshwater back in the 60's. I progressed to saltwater in the 90's.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2reef 4 the win i use to use BRS. That is until i discovered reef2reef. Found this to be the best support hands down with BRS second.....

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My information comes from books that I will have read multiple times by the time I set up my 90-gallon reef. I also check Reef2Reef every day to read other's posts and post questions or ask for advice. In addition, BRS is a great source for information as well as general online searches, marine archives, and internet fish stores.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an interesting question. I checked LFS, local hobbyist and online forums. I would have checked books if it would have allowed me a 4th box.

I am an old saltwater enthusiast from the 1990s and I got a job at a LFS (which was better than most since one of the owners was very savvy in aquaria). I understood the nitrification cycle from my teen years in FW but was mentored in marine creatures and tank set up for SW. Eventually I moved into the store's maintenance accounts. I saw many different tanks and set ups. I did that until about 10 years ago. Because of that solid foundation I have a good grasp on what are facts based on experience and biology.

I also read books from experts like Robert Fenner, Joyce Wilkerson, Eric Borneman and Pete Gowanja. These folks were some of the best in what they did so I learned a lot from them.

I had to leave that job to care for my mother in law. Caregiving to a bed bound person can be very isolating, especially for a me who was not tech savvy. The scope of caregiving necessary forced me to downsize my 90 gallon and 125 gallon w/70 gallon sump tanks to a 36 gallon tank. I would have gotten out altogether but my husband would not let me exit a hobby that I loved. That is when I found online forums. Online forums were a wonderful outlet to allow me to share in the comraderie of a hobby that I loved and also helped me stay current to a lot of new equipment options. I maintained tanks when LEDs were still overdriven and not feasible, before controllers were used in a big way, before reactors and algal scrubbers. Without forums I would have been left behind in equipment advances. Forums have played a vital role in my life as an aquarist, but I rely heavily on the knowledge I gained prior to forums to wade through what is true and not true.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back