Tale of two powerheads

BMWZ4M08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I'm new here but not to Reef tanks, I had a tank many years ago and due to the weather my tank couldn't survive. I'm in the planning stages of a new build..I'm sure there will be more questions to come..

I'm trying to update myself on some equipment. I see a lot of people are using GYRE powerhead and I have read that they are kinda loud and a pain to clean and no tech support..

When I start my tank I was planning on using EcoTech MP XX depending on what tank size I go with.

Is this a matter of price difference, personal preference? They both do the same job?

Personally I'm leaning towards EcoTech, due to the reviews, compactness of the units and ease of maintenance. My goal is to keep as much equipment out of view.

Maybe I'm missing something here, can someone explain the differences?

Thanks

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you read reviews you will hear all sorts of opinions.

I have run gyres, MP’s, Tunze for Powerheads.

All have been silent.

All 3 have different shapes, flow patterns, controllable functions.

Regardless of anyone’s opinion or personal experience, those 3 are all top notch.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be happy with either of those choices, I picked mp40 for my tank for the small form factor, ease of removing and cleaning and wireless Control through my apex since I already had radions. That said I love seeing the flow patters the gyre produces. I wouldn’t personally switch but you will be happy either way.

OP
OP
B

BMWZ4M08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm not current on all the products, I had to google it...it looks big and cumbersome, and for the price. I think I'll stick with the MPXX...

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I'm new here but not to Reef tanks, I had a tank many years ago and due to the weather my tank couldn't survive. I'm in the planning stages of a new build..I'm sure there will be more questions to come..

I'm trying to update myself on some equipment. I see a lot of people are using GYRE powerhead and I have read that they are kinda loud and a pain to clean and no tech support..

When I start my tank I was planning on using EcoTech MP XX depending on what tank size I go with.

Is this a matter of price difference, personal preference? They both do the same job?

Personally I'm leaning towards EcoTech, due to the reviews, compactness of the units and ease of maintenance. My goal is to keep as much equipment out of view.

Maybe I'm missing something here, can someone explain the differences?

Thanks
As mta mentioned, you will get lots of opinions. I love the gyre flow, but have had two different gyres and both were too loud for my living room. The second gyre even had the motor replaced because of the noise. I’ve been very happy for the most part with my mp40’s and tunze. I will be adding an mp60 next week to replace my tunze to eliminate the wires inside the tank. Expensive route I know...

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm not current on all the products, I had to google it...it looks big and cumbersome, and for the price. I think I'll stick with the MPXX...
I would recommend getting an extra wet side, really makes cleaning simple, the battery backup is great to have as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back