Talk me through this....

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Robb1414, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Robb1414

Robb1414 Active Member

Okay. I have a pair of clowns and a small Valentini Puffer in a 10 gallon QT. They have gone through their two rounds of prazipro. I am getting ready to start copper.

I have Seacham Cupermane. I know I need to get it to 2.o. I have the Hanna checker.

Talk me through how to get my 10 gallon up to the 2.0 without doing harm!

THANKS! I tried reading threads and doing the math and I am a little nervous to actually do it.

2. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Cupramine is ionic copper final concentration should be .50 not 2.0 like chelated copper.
    I didnt read if @4FordFamily increased this as well with his update.
    Its dosed in 2 ramp periods following directions on the box(i think 48 hours apart, i dont use this product )

Dose one brings you .25.

48 hours the next dose brings you to .50.

Verify the final concentration with the hanna checker.

Dont overdose, so should be roughly around 20 drops day one. Test to see what this does. Then 48 hours adjust how much to add to bring to final concentration.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    4FordFamily and Robb1414 like this.
  3. Robb1414

Robb1414 Active Member

I am so glad I posted! I would have killed them.

Gareth elliott likes this.
  4. Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor NJRC Member

Edited first post after reading the online directions :)

Robb1414 likes this.
  5. Robb1414

Robb1414 Active Member

Thanks so much!

6. Mariette

Mariette Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I have a 20g qt w 15g of water. Bb. No live rock. Just pvc to hide in. No copper in tank before. I swear I followed dosing exactly and ended up at final concentration (0.5) after 1st dose. It’s crazy. If I was you, I’d do 10 drops, wait, test and go from there.

7. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award

I’d shoot for .55 ppm with the Hanna checker, personally.

8. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I’ve had more success with cupramine by spreading the dosage over 4-5 days, not two single doses like the bottle states. I would especially do this with the puffer in there, since they can be a bit more sensitive.

What I usually do is half of the instructed first dose on day one, and then about a 1/4 dose AM and PM for the days following testing once daily, until it gets to .5

Smo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted