Tamron 90mm Di Macro Lens

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my first macro lens the other day and started playing with it. Im pretty good with the stock lens but can't seem to figure out the macro... I've read through the "stickied" tutorials and that is what helped me to be successful with the stock lens.

I was hoping someone out there with the same lens might have some pointers on general use and also with top down shots. Of course I want to get some of those colorful acros :)

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tamron 90mm and find that I have to extend my F-stop quite a bit for good depth of field... much more so than my Canon 60mm. For top down shots, I boost the ISO up to about 400, and use shutter priority mode, while I use aperture priority with an ISO of 100 for front shots. I have a hard time with top-downs due to my unsteady hands, but as long as you can get top downs without moving your lights, you can adjust your shutter speed and get some pretty good shots. The AF on the tamron is a bit sluggish, so I always use manual focus on shots from the front, but don't really have a choice but to use AF on the top-downs. HTH

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Tamron 90mm and find that I have to extend my F-stop quite a bit for good depth of field... much more so than my Canon 60mm. For top down shots, I boost the ISO up to about 400, and use shutter priority mode, while I use aperture priority with an ISO of 100 for front shots. I have a hard time with top-downs due to my unsteady hands, but as long as you can get top downs without moving your lights, you can adjust your shutter speed and get some pretty good shots. The AF on the tamron is a bit sluggish, so I always use manual focus on shots from the front, but don't really have a choice but to use AF on the top-downs. HTH

Thank you for the tips swanny! I'll give a shot and post some results ;)

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing, here's a few shots with the Tamron 90mm:
IMG_8110-1.jpg

IMG_8384.jpg

IMG_8379.jpg

IMG_8361.jpg

IMG_8359.jpg

IMG_8355.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8146.jpg

IMG_8095.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8057.jpg

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pice swanny!
i also use the same lens with my d90, takes great pics. Alot of peep's like this lens due to the blurring affects around the edges. Heres one of my favorites that i took
5632996681_8c67acdd8d_b.jpg

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice shots guys....thanks for making my thread so pretty ;)
Now, for top downs....I just can't figure it out. Are people using a tripod with a boom arm on it?

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use a boom ARM, although that would really help. To get clear shots, stabilize my arms as much as possible, boost the ISO and speed up the shutter

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here are my first shots with the new macro. I need some fine tuning and a few pointers. I've never taken a decent picture of a fish until now, but I know it can/should be much better. I shot in Shutter Priority mode (Tv) and sped up the shutter speed, but a lot of the images were dark. To compensate I slowed the shutter speed but got more camera shake... I'll keep playing though :)

IMG_4046.jpg

IMG_4050.jpg

IMG_4058.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4071.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look nice to me, I have the Tamron 180mm but I have not have had any time to truly sit down and focus on perfecting its use with reef pictures. Hopefully I will be able to soon,as I am becoming less busy in the week.

redemer123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whoa swanny, I have the same lens but i cant get the same up close shots as you are? any tips? lol

swannyson7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots Tripnbili!! If you're having a problem with underexposed shots, you can try a few things other than messing with the shutter speed. Your first option would be to actually adjust the exposure on the camera, but this will slow the shutted and increase motion blur if your hands aren't steady or if the subject is moving. Your second option is to increase the ISO which will keep the shutter relatively fast, but if you increase it too much, you'll get "noise" in your photos, especially if you're doing substantial cropping. Your third option would be to put it in Manual mode and reduce your F-stop. That will give you a smaller depth of field, but will keep the shutter pretty quick to reduce motion blur and you'll be able to capture more light with the same shutter speed. HTH

@ redemer123- Several of those shots (especially in my first post) are cropped substantially. If you're using a tripod with your flow off and a low ISO, the images will be sharp enough to crop the image down and retain a nice clear image.

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots Tripnbili!! If you're having a problem with underexposed shots, you can try a few things other than messing with the shutter speed. Your first option would be to actually adjust the exposure on the camera, but this will slow the shutted and increase motion blur if your hands aren't steady or if the subject is moving. Your second option is to increase the ISO which will keep the shutter relatively fast, but if you increase it too much, you'll get "noise" in your photos, especially if you're doing substantial cropping. Your third option would be to put it in Manual mode and reduce your F-stop. That will give you a smaller depth of field, but will keep the shutter pretty quick to reduce motion blur and you'll be able to capture more light with the same shutter speed. HTH

@ redemer123- Several of those shots (especially in my first post) are cropped substantially. If you're using a tripod with your flow off and a low ISO, the images will be sharp enough to crop the image down and retain a nice clear image.
Thanks Swanny! I think I figured those tips out right before you posted them LOL. Here comes another post with some top downs on some frags...I had to post them FS to make some money back on this car payment, I mean lens :p

OP
OP
Joe Knows Reefs

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go...

2 polyps Vivid's Rainbows
IMG_4115.jpg

2 polyps + 1 pup Blue Hornets
IMG_4116.jpg

3 polyps Envy Orange
IMG_4117.jpg

2 polyps Happy Madison PE
IMG_4131.jpg

4 polyps Intergalactic PE
IMG_4130.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 90mm is really a sharp lens, but Im not a huge fan of it anylonger.

The bigger tha macro you can get, the better.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back