Tang after FW dip

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone else went through the same process. Came out of copper tank, <5 minutes in RODI marching temp with an air stone, then into the sterile tank. Firefish, clowns, blenny, and goby went great. Royal Gramma was lazy for an hour but now fine. Wrasse still looks a little dazed but may be trying to sleep. The tang however looks horrible. Slime coat coming off, eyes were going back and forth like a seizure but have calmed down, still laying on his side and breathing very rapidly. Any suggestions before I just give them a night? Nothing worth nothing was found in the freshwater. Everyone looked great before the dip/transfer. Copper and sterile tank parameters were nearly a perfect match aside from nitrates being 0 in sterile tank.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this similar behavior from an achilles tang in the past. Lights off and let the fish rest. I have never had the slime coat come off. I have seen fish take a few hours to bounce back after a dip.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to find him belly up on the intake tube. It’s low flow so I’m certain that’s not what took him. He looks normal otherwise. I’m at a loss. Everyone else looks fine aside from the wrasse but I think that’s just sleep mode.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up to find him belly up on the intake tube. It’s low flow so I’m certain that’s not what took him. He looks normal otherwise. I’m at a loss. Everyone else looks fine aside from the wrasse but I think that’s just sleep mode.
Sorry for your loss :(

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost a couple fish to a freshwater dip as well. My problem was that I did not match the PH. Haven't lost another that way since I started doing that. I did loose a Powder Brown to a bad bacterial infection though.

Sorry for your loss.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH shock would be my only guess. It still blows my mind that he was third through in a string of 9 fish and everyone else was happy(?) and hungry this morning.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back