Tang after FW dip

  • Thread starter Thread starter Schnizzle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Schnizzle

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2017
Messages
728
Reaction score
1,035
Location
DelMarVa
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone else went through the same process. Came out of copper tank, <5 minutes in RODI marching temp with an air stone, then into the sterile tank. Firefish, clowns, blenny, and goby went great. Royal Gramma was lazy for an hour but now fine. Wrasse still looks a little dazed but may be trying to sleep. The tang however looks horrible. Slime coat coming off, eyes were going back and forth like a seizure but have calmed down, still laying on his side and breathing very rapidly. Any suggestions before I just give them a night? Nothing worth nothing was found in the freshwater. Everyone looked great before the dip/transfer. Copper and sterile tank parameters were nearly a perfect match aside from nitrates being 0 in sterile tank.

 
I have had this similar behavior from an achilles tang in the past. Lights off and let the fish rest. I have never had the slime coat come off. I have seen fish take a few hours to bounce back after a dip.
 
That makes me feel better. Lights are off. This tank is in the bedroom so it’ll stay dark until sunrise.
 
I woke up to find him belly up on the intake tube. It’s low flow so I’m certain that’s not what took him. He looks normal otherwise. I’m at a loss. Everyone else looks fine aside from the wrasse but I think that’s just sleep mode.
 
I woke up to find him belly up on the intake tube. It’s low flow so I’m certain that’s not what took him. He looks normal otherwise. I’m at a loss. Everyone else looks fine aside from the wrasse but I think that’s just sleep mode.
Sorry for your loss :(
 
I lost a couple fish to a freshwater dip as well. My problem was that I did not match the PH. Haven't lost another that way since I started doing that. I did loose a Powder Brown to a bad bacterial infection though.

Sorry for your loss.
 
pH shock would be my only guess. It still blows my mind that he was third through in a string of 9 fish and everyone else was happy(?) and hungry this morning.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new