OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: added to the list of aggressive tangs with more experience and new species added.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking a 260. Tangs are going in last. Plans originally was 1 Gold Rim, 1 White Tail, 1 (Desjardini / Purple / Hyrbis or muti scopas) After reading the rest of the post I wanted some opinions on 1 Goldrim, 1 White Tailed BT, 1 Desjardini, 1(Purple or Hybrid/muti.) or both in case i need 3 to spread angst. I have also been debating on a sohal but iv only met bully ones and never seem them kept in multi tang systems without aggression issues
I think you’d be alright but would recommend three zebrasoma. Other than that, I see it working fine. Of course it’s always a gamble and you never know for sure. I’d feel comfortable giving it a whirl!

wom001

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh man @4FordFamily im kinda glad to hear you say that. After that wrasse discussion my tank stock list got cut in half lol. That blue rim of yours is spectacular, iv only ever seen them looking sad and drab in blue at the LFS.

Also had to edit to add this, I hope one of those fords is the ol fox body stang.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heh man @4FordFamily im kinda glad to hear you say that. After that wrasse discussion my tank stock list got cut in half lol. That blue rim of yours is spectacular, iv only ever seen them looking sad and drab in blue at the LFS.

Also had to edit to add this, I hope one of those fords is the ol fox body stang.
No mustang at moment will be doing a fauxbra (replica kit car with 454) soon however

ddrueckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly getting ready to stock a 230 gallon reef (76L X 29W X 24H). I am thinking about the following tangs...

-Yellow
-Powder Blue
-Naso
-Orangeshoulder

Would these work together in my tank if introduced at the same time? I am most concerned about the PBT and Orangeshoulder. Thanks.

Dave

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am slowly getting ready to stock a 230 gallon reef (76L X 29W X 24H). I am thinking about the following tangs...

-Yellow
-Powder Blue
-Naso
-Orangeshoulder

Would these work together in my tank if introduced at the same time? I am most concerned about the PBT and Orangeshoulder. Thanks.

Dave
You should be fine but you'll want the PBT the smallest. Orange Shoulder aren't particularly aggressive. :)

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily - Wanted your opinion before I move my hybrid PBT to DT. I have 10’ 560gallons DT. I currently have
3 Yellow Tangs
1 White tail bristletooth
1 gem tang
1 sailfin tang
1 scopas tang

All the above mentioned fish get along without any issues. Gem is the boss currently.
Now I have hybrid PBT and a magnificent foxface together in QT for about 5 weeks and would like to move them to DT. Should I add them both together? Any specific time of the day? You experienced advice would be really helpful

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily - Wanted your opinion before I move my hybrid PBT to DT. I have 10’ 560gallons DT. I currently have
3 Yellow Tangs
1 White tail bristletooth
1 gem tang
1 sailfin tang
1 scopas tang

All the above mentioned fish get along without any issues. Gem is the boss currently.
Now I have hybrid PBT and a magnificent foxface together in QT for about 5 weeks and would like to move them to DT. Should I add them both together? Any specific time of the day? You experienced advice would be really helpful
Yes, add together and in the evening about 30 minutes before lights off for best results. It’ll give them time for introductions and if it goes poorly not too much aggression can happen before morning. In the morning they won’t be as alarmed by the “new” arrival and may have already accepted its presence. This seems to work well for me although full disclosure adding more than one tang is much safer. I’m not sure how much the maggie will help, particularly in a larger tank where fish are more able to defend territories. This is where there is benefit of “moderate” but not extreme crowding.

oafguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 450gallon DT w/ Desjardins Sailfin, Sohal, Fowleri, Purple Tang, Magnificent Foxface. They all get along well, every now and then the Sohal and Desjardins mix it up but that lasts just a few minutes. I'm not sure what to get of if I should even attempt adding. What's everyone's thoughts?
3b3f5d2281145875be210d505acdb418.jpg

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, add together and in the evening about 30 minutes before lights off for best results. It’ll give them time for introductions and if it goes poorly not too much aggression can happen before morning. In the morning they won’t be as alarmed by the “new” arrival and may have already accepted its presence. This seems to work well for me although full disclosure adding more than one tang is much safer. I’m not sure how much the maggie will help, particularly in a larger tank where fish are more able to defend territories. This is where there is benefit of “moderate” but not extreme crowding.

Ok thank you for the prompt response. I don’t really plan to add any more tangs at this point so I guess I will have to take a chance and see. I will keep you posted after I introduce them tonight

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 450gallon DT w/ Desjardins Sailfin, Sohal, Fowleri, Purple Tang, Magnificent Foxface. They all get along well, every now and then the Sohal and Desjardins mix it up but that lasts just a few minutes. I'm not sure what to get of if I should even attempt adding. What's everyone's thoughts?
3b3f5d2281145875be210d505acdb418.jpg
If you added a few tangs at once you may be alright — who is tank boss?

The sohal will likely be your biggest issue, depending on its size.

oafguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you added a few tangs at once you may be alright — who is tank boss?

The sohal will likely be your biggest issue, depending on its size.
The Desjardins is the boss and the largest in vertical size. The Sohal is the 2nd smallest, but trying to establish dominance. The Fowleri is the peace maker.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Desjardins is the boss and the largest in vertical size. The Sohal is the 2nd smallest, but trying to establish dominance. The Fowleri is the peace maker.
Well that doesn’t make me feel worse so that’s good! :)

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily

I have a question about combining the use of acclimation boxes with simultaneous introduction.

I'm going to be adding a 2" yellow tang and a 3" white tail bristletooth tang to my nephew's 100g after the fish conclude quarantine (using the new method @HotRocks recently posted in the fish disease forums).

In his tank currently are:

Blue Mandarin
Blue/Green Chromis
Oscellaris Clownfish
Orangeback Fairy Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Red-lined Halichoeres Wrasse (biocellatus)
3 x Dispar Anthias
Onespot Foxface

Do I understand correctly that my best chance of success is to add them at the same time 30 minutes before lights out and also use an acclimation box(s)? Right now I have one acclimation box that measures 4"x 7"x 7". Is that too small?

I can imagine doing this four ways: 1) release both into the tank without acclimation boxes, 2) release the bristletooth without the box and keep the yellow in the box for a couple days, 3) buy a second box and keep the both in the boxes for a couple days (does distance matter?), 4) buy 2 new boxes because the one I have is too small for a tang.

I know there is a lot of uncertainty involved, but which would you do, and how significant a difference do you think there is between the options? Is there much risk to the fish from being in an acclimation box? If I use boxes, I assume the 30 mins before lights out timing applies to release from the boxes and timing doesn't matter for introduction to the boxes?

Thanks,
Chance

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily

I have a question about combining the use of acclimation boxes with simultaneous introduction.

I'm going to be adding a 2" yellow tang and a 3" white tail bristletooth tang to my nephew's 100g after the fish conclude quarantine (using the new method @HotRocks recently posted in the fish disease forums).

In his tank currently are:

Blue Mandarin
Blue/Green Chromis
Oscellaris Clownfish
Orangeback Fairy Wrasse
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Red-lined Halichoeres Wrasse (biocellatus)
3 x Dispar Anthias
Onespot Foxface

Do I understand correctly that my best chance of success is to add them at the same time 30 minutes before lights out and also use an acclimation box(s)? Right now I have one acclimation box that measures 4"x 7"x 7". Is that too small?

I can imagine doing this four ways: 1) release both into the tank without acclimation boxes, 2) release the bristletooth without the box and keep the yellow in the box for a couple days, 3) buy a second box and keep the both in the boxes for a couple days (does distance matter?), 4) buy 2 new boxes because the one I have is too small for a tang.

I know there is a lot of uncertainty involved, but which would you do, and how significant a difference do you think there is between the options? Is there much risk to the fish from being in an acclimation box? If I use boxes, I assume the 30 mins before lights out timing applies to release from the boxes and timing doesn't matter for introduction to the boxes?

Thanks,
Chance
I would do option 1. Acclimation boxes are best utilized to protect from resident tangs or aggressive tankmates until they get used to seeing the newcomers.

So sharing a box wouldn’t help, and I imagine that added together being different genus of tangs and different sizes you should be fine. As you mentioned, nothing is certain it can always go wrong when mixing tangs but that’s how I would personally do the introduction.

You are correct on adding just before lights out, in my opinion. I think you’ll be fine. :)

Tajaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a question. I got 2 naso tangs together as a juvenile. They are both in acclimation boxes in the main tank now and are healthy. However in the past few days one of them haven't been eating much while the other one eats like a tornado. Is this normal? they are both fine and healthy but I don't have any experience with keeping naso's.

The tank is 800 gallons and around 13 feet long

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I have a question. I got 2 naso tangs together as a juvenile. They are both in acclimation boxes in the main tank now and are healthy. However in the past few days one of them haven't been eating much while the other one eats like a tornado. Is this normal? they are both fine and healthy but I don't have any experience with keeping naso's.

The tank is 800 gallons and around 13 feet long
It could be aggression although naso generally tolerate conspecifics so my guess is disease. Also, young naso are notoriously fragile.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back