OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until your resident tang stops badgering him. It would be even more ideal to remove the aggressor and sump it for awhile while the abused recovers and then add the new fish back in an acclimation box.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily , I was going to have 3 tangs in my 120 gal tank, but started to think that 120 gal may not be big enough, would u agree, and also I was getting a purple tang, convict tang, and a spotted yellow eye tang but dropped the convict downsizing to 2, is the remaining a good pair as far as tangs go. I know every situation is different, but was trying to go for the flashiest and yet least aggressive, as far as tangs go that is, lol! They will be 2 inches long.
I think it will work. I don’t think 3 smaller tangs is too much for a 120 that group may work for some time and 3 may work out better from an aggressor standpoint, anyway. ;)

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will work. I don’t think 3 smaller tangs is too much for a 120 that group may work for some time and 3 may work out better from an aggressor standpoint, anyway. ;)
I would have to add the 3rd after QT'ing the other 2 as I only have 2 20 gal tanks and don't want to put 2 tangs in a 20 gal tank for 6 plus weeks, would adding the 3rd after work?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to add the 3rd after QT'ing the other 2 as I only have 2 20 gal tanks and don't want to put 2 tangs in a 20 gal tank for 6 plus weeks, would adding the 3rd after work?
I don’t recommend it going that way. I’d recommend a 40B for all 3. That would do fine. BioSpira ;)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
All I know is a clown tang I introduced to my tank killed my Copperband and Cleaner Wrasse. Never trying another one again.

Like the Sohal, they are known to be nasty

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Depends completely. I don't know how big your tank is but adding more than one at s time may help. Or if you find someone locally getting rid of a yellow tang that is too aggressive it may have a chance!

Seriously though it depends on the fish. A tang nasty enough to hammer a blenny is probably among the nastiest and adding a tang to that mix is a very risky endeavor. You're probably better off selling him.

I agree . Size of tank matters. A 75 and even a 125g may not cut it

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
360jj.png

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good read for ppl looking to own tangs. I read this a while back and just saw it pop up again. Thanks @4FordFamily this helped me with my pbt, Achilles, lavender combo that is still going strong. I did know a few tricks but definitely learned a few more. I’m tempted to add a chocolate and powder brown. I think that might be pushing my luck a little. Lol

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good read for ppl looking to own tangs. I read this a while back and just saw it pop up again. Thanks @4FordFamily this helped me with my pbt, Achilles, lavender combo that is still going strong. I did know a few tricks but definitely learned a few more. I’m tempted to add a chocolate and powder brown. I think that might be pushing my luck a little. Lol
Thanks for the kind words. Adding any tang, let alone another acanthurus to a PBT and Achilles could go very, very wrong. On rare occasions it may work out fine.

What size tank?

botheboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the kind words. Adding any tang, let alone another acanthurus to a PBT and Achilles could go very, very wrong. On rare occasions it may work out fine.

What size tank?
Yeah that’s exactly how I feel but it’s nice to dream. Lol in hindsight I wish I could’ve got them all at one time but it’s hard to get fish all together sometimes. Tank is a 180g 6’x2’x2’. I might try something when and if I upgrade in the future.

Jr'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read through all 50+ pages but what’s worked for me is using the XL critter cage drilling some holes in it and using a cleaning magnet to hold it in place. I add new tangs to it for about 3 days and feed them nori in the cage to fatten them up along with mysis and LRS.

So far I have a Sailfin Tang, Mata Tang, Naso Tang, Yellow Tang & Kole Tang. They show aggression for an hour or two after release just to show dominance but after that they are fine. I think seeing them for 3 days helps with the sudden impact of a new tang in their space.

Oliver d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a stupid question but is it okay/safe to add a single sailfin or maybe a brown tang to a 65 gallon tank currently only 4 fish in the tank but lots of coral.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a stupid question but is it okay/safe to add a single sailfin or maybe a brown tang to a 65 gallon tank currently only 4 fish in the tank but lots of coral.

Both fish will get too large for a 65 gal tank. If you have other much larger system in place then yes, otherwise you should not. Tangs grow so fast that they will out grow that tank in a few months.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, for the reasons below.

Both fish will get too large for a 65 gal tank. If you have other much larger system in place then yes, otherwise you should not. Tangs grow so fast that they will out grow that tank in a few months.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does the aggression of my yellow tang really only come out once the light goes out? He/she doesn't bother anyone else and even lets the smaller YT sleep in the same area too. But with the new juvenile naso I've added he will go out of his way to find it and harass it even if it's on the other side of the tank. The naso although a little smaller does stand his ground and will not flee but will stay clear of where the YT sleeps. I actually don't know where he sleeps once the YT gives it up for the night. I'm planning on removing the bigger YT soon though anyways. Both YT came with the tank and 1 has to go so I can add other types of fish.

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until your resident tang stops badgering him. It would be even more ideal to remove the aggressor and sump it for awhile while the abused recovers and then add the new fish back in an acclimation box.

I removed the brown one but the yellow one is still in DT and he is healing up. I was asking how long until I put the brown one back in DT in the box to keep him away or are you saying put the yellow in the box and put the brown back in the DT?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back