4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol yeah I have not had any issues with fish disease or anything so I plan to keep that. As much as I would love love to have an Achilles tang in there it’s not worth the risk. My Naso tang does seem to be the boss of the tank, but the Lt, tang is definitely a close second. When my female clown went murder frenzy on my bellus femal angel, the Lt tang ended it when he tail slapped her across the tank, then continued to tail slap her across the tank, and nip at her. I was concerned almost for the clown, she ended up hosting a stinging frogspawn super quick. After she hosted that he stopped and the aggression in the tank stopped. But, I have seen the Naso tang get after the Lt tang and he submits fairly quickly to her, but she is also two to three times larger. She definitely has the huge double scalpels on her tail.

@4FordFamily wow just wow I’m so jealous, of your new fish. That definitely was not a cheap purchase lol, specially on the gem tang. I usually see them for 700-800. My local fish shop has one for 649, right now and is a good three inch. It’s a great price but don’t think it would work in my tank. How are they all doing atm?

I don’t have my own qt system set up, but I absolutely do qt anything that goes in my tank. My lfs are very kind to me, so they do it for me. They are thee only ones of three that auto copper treat all fish coming in. They have the coral and fish separate from each other. The fish side in every tank is basically a qt tank, and the fish stay a min 30 days. Most people that buy the fish leave them for 50-90 days. The shop only charges an extra 10 dollars for the whole 90 days Aeneas long as you supply the food. If not then it’s 20 for the 90 day period, which is awesome (Well to me lol).

Fish are doing well, thanks for asking! It was a divers den find, not cheap is correct lol!

Regarding LFS quarantine, you should read this. I know it isn’t what you want to read but you should know the risk.

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/lfs-fish-“treatment”-the-“sudden”-need-for-quarantine.308/

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my two new additions...

65B98DA5-B894-4EC6-A3A8-A9386F6C0102.jpeg
AFCFF23C-D7E4-4F59-9754-79DDAD4EC472.jpeg
452991FC-8C41-45E1-8C8C-D770F50533A6.jpeg
7F7CCD16-8F6D-4055-B2DB-1FF0F2791464.jpeg
52AF603D-63BE-4334-8570-E93096BDAF22.jpeg

This will be interesting. I had a very good month at work and decided to treat myself to something I said I’d never purchase. A gem tang.

I found this beautiful male Achilles tang on divers den with streamers and a giant teardrop. It has the appearance of a large male 7-8 inches but it’s onky 4.5!

I suspect he will be a terror, but it’s a handsome fish. Hopefully these rampant infections in the hobby don’t dust this batch!

@HotRocks no pressure bro (he has been quarantining my fish recently we switched it up haha)
Congratulations on all points here... the good month at work and the beautiful new gems (pun intended) and the extra adds. My wife and I are very thankful for your information on Tangs!! Keep up the good work and best of luck.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrific article! We've jumped in with both feet.
System: 90 gal DT, with a 29 gal addition plumbed together into one sump. Tanks have been up since Jan 1. No corals added yet but hope to go SPS & LPS.
QT System: (1) 20 gal tank & (4) 7 gal tanks with HOB filters

Just purchased from Live Aquaria today:
- 1 White Cheek Tang (3 - 4 in)
- 1 Kole Tang (3.25 - 4.25 in)
- 1 Blue Hippo (2 - 3 in)
- 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish (2.5 - 4 in)
- 1 Clownfish (1 - 2 in)

Already have 1 - Medium sized Clownfish and 1 - bonded pair of Clownfish. They're all that we have left after recovery from a bad case of Fin Rot developed after Brooklynella devastated our tank. We're starting again after being FALLOW for more than 77 days. Currently using 3 Black Mollies as test to make sure DT system is free of danger. Currently 5 days into a two week testing phase and praying for no problems.

All of the new tangs will be put through a 4 - 6 week QT using Seachem's Cupramine in a 20 gal tank.
The Coral Beauty and the Clownfish will be in a separate 7 gal QT with Chloroquine Phosphate if I can get it here in time if not, Cupramine.

We would like to eventually add a Six Line Wrasse, Bartlett's Anthias and an Engineer Goby to the tank as well but didn't have enough QT space to handle them all at one time.
As far as fish, this will make up the full contents of this tank until our planned upgrade to a 250+ in two years.

Questions:
1. Will the three tangs be OK together in a 20 gal QT tank with separate PVC elbows for 6 to 10 weeks?
2. The plan is to add all the fish into the 90 gal DT at one time (excluding the original pair of bonded clownfish who are going into the 29 gal side tank because clownfish are jerks and can't get along:confused:). Can the Tangs be added at the same time with the Coral Beauty and the 2 Clownfish or should they be held out until the smaller fish have found a home?
3. Can the Wrasse and Anthias be safely added at a later time or will the Tangs likely decimate them?
4. Is there enough hiding space for the Hippo in the attached aquascape?

Thank you for all your input.

IMG_20180815_154430.jpg

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrific article! We've jumped in with both feet.
System: 90 gal DT, with a 29 gal addition plumbed together into one sump. Tanks have been up since Jan 1. No corals added yet but hope to go SPS & LPS.
QT System: (1) 20 gal tank & (4) 7 gal tanks with HOB filters

Just purchased from Live Aquaria today:
- 1 White Cheek Tang (3 - 4 in)
- 1 Kole Tang (3.25 - 4.25 in)
- 1 Blue Hippo (2 - 3 in)
- 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish (2.5 - 4 in)
- 1 Clownfish (1 - 2 in)

Already have 1 - Medium sized Clownfish and 1 - bonded pair of Clownfish. They're all that we have left after recovery from a bad case of Fin Rot developed after Brooklynella devastated our tank. We're starting again after being FALLOW for more than 77 days. Currently using 3 Black Mollies as test to make sure DT system is free of danger. Currently 5 days into a two week testing phase and praying for no problems.

All of the new tangs will be put through a 4 - 6 week QT using Seachem's Cupramine in a 20 gal tank.
The Coral Beauty and the Clownfish will be in a separate 7 gal QT with Chloroquine Phosphate if I can get it here in time if not, Cupramine.

We would like to eventually add a Six Line Wrasse, Bartlett's Anthias and an Engineer Goby to the tank as well but didn't have enough QT space to handle them all at one time.
As far as fish, this will make up the full contents of this tank until our planned upgrade to a 250+ in two years.

Questions:
1. Will the three tangs be OK together in a 20 gal QT tank with separate PVC elbows for 6 to 10 weeks?
2. The plan is to add all the fish into the 90 gal DT at one time (excluding the original pair of bonded clownfish who are going into the 29 gal side tank because clownfish are jerks and can't get along:confused:). Can the Tangs be added at the same time with the Coral Beauty and the 2 Clownfish or should they be held out until the smaller fish have found a home?
3. Can the Wrasse and Anthias be safely added at a later time or will the Tangs likely decimate them?
4. Is there enough hiding space for the Hippo in the attached aquascape?

Thank you for all your input.

IMG_20180815_154430.jpg
Hello, thanks for the kind words in the previous post :)

1) A 90 isn’t a very suitable tank for a hippo tang, he will quickly outgrow it. You probably would be OK for a year or so but they can grow quickly.
2) the two bristlooth tangs may not tolerate each other, that’s a risk particularly in a 4 foot tank.
3) I wouldn’t add all fish at once I would do in batches starting with harsher fish (not tangs) such as the clowns. This is a lot of shock to add to a tank all at once I’d wait 15 days between additions and dose bacteria in a bottle following the three tangs being added.
4) tangs and wrasse generally play nice
5) the coral beauty might be seen as competition for food by the tangs (because it is) but generally tangs don’t bother them.

I hope this helps!:)

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for the kind words in the previous post :)

1) A 90 isn’t a very suitable tank for a hippo tang, he will quickly outgrow it. You probably would be OK for a year or so but they can grow quickly.
2) the two bristlooth tangs may not tolerate each other, that’s a risk particularly in a 4 foot tank.
3) I wouldn’t add all fish at once I would do in batches starting with harsher fish (not tangs) such as the clowns. This is a lot of shock to add to a tank all at once I’d wait 15 days between additions and dose bacteria in a bottle following the three tangs being added.
4) tangs and wrasse generally play nice
5) the coral beauty might be seen as competition for food by the tangs (because it is) but generally tangs don’t bother them.

I hope this helps!:)
Yes, that's a big help and thanks for the quick response.
You've made a very strong case over many posts going back quite a long time... (27 pages worth of postings is a lot of material from everyone but very very helpful). I think I'll call LA to cancel part of my order since they're not shipping out until tomorrow. The Hippo will definitely have to wait a few years :(.
I really love the look of the White Cheek but according to LA, only the Kole Yellow Eye is rated for our size tank. If we only get one of the tangs, do you think that I could get away with it being the White Cheek for 2 years?

Also, will one tang be a bully to all the other fish if he is the ONLY tang and I follow your previous advice by adding him last?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's a big help and thanks for the quick response.
You've made a very strong case over many posts going back quite a long time... (27 pages worth of postings is a lot of material from everyone but very very helpful). I think I'll call LA to cancel part of my order since they're not shipping out until tomorrow. The Hippo will definitely have to wait a few years :(.
I really love the look of the White Cheek but according to LA, only the Kole Yellow Eye is rated for our size tank. If we only get one of the tangs, do you think that I could get away with it being the White Cheek for 2 years?

Also, will one tang be a bully to all the other fish if he is the ONLY tang and I follow your previous advice by adding him last?
A white cheek can be pretty aggressive but size wise I would say due to their lower activity level as a bristlooth you may well be fine. I think you could do a yellow, purple, or scopas with a bristlooth and be OK.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A white cheek can be pretty aggressive but size wise I would say due to their lower activity level as a bristlooth you may well be fine. I think you could do a yellow, purple, or scopas with a bristlooth and be OK.
Thank you!!! As soon as we get the tang in the system, I'll post a pic just so you get to see our efforts to do this right. I'm still learning and my wife has joined me in the love of the aquatic life so we want to do what's best for our new pets. This info sharing source has been exactly what we needed. I think we'll start supporting R2R too because between your experience and the people in the disease forum, it's been well worth the cost.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!! As soon as we get the tang in the system, I'll post a pic just so you get to see our efforts to do this right. I'm still learning and my wife has joined me in the love of the aquatic life so we want to do what's best for our new pets. This info sharing source has been exactly what we needed. I think we'll start supporting R2R too because between your experience and the people in the disease forum, it's been well worth the cost.
Sounds good, glad to help! Please keep us updated!

You’ll see me a lot on the disease forum as well! :)

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue and a Kole Tang that I just added. Same size. I'm slightly worried about the Kole Tang because the PB seems to be messing with him a lot and for some reason the Kole hasn't decided to find somewhere else to hang out. Hoping things calm down. The tank has plenty of space (140 gallons) and they are under 3". I was hoping that they would be great together as in my short QT they didn't seem to fight much and in the acclimation bucket they were glued to each other. Trying to keep them very well fed in the meantime.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue and a Kole Tang that I just added. Same size. I'm slightly worried about the Kole Tang because the PB seems to be messing with him a lot and for some reason the Kole hasn't decided to find somewhere else to hang out. Hoping things calm down. The tank has plenty of space (140 gallons) and they are under 3". I was hoping that they would be great together as in my short QT they didn't seem to fight much and in the acclimation bucket they were glued to each other. Trying to keep them very well fed in the meantime.
What else is in the 140?

Also, a 140 is not a suitable tank for a powder blue tang, a 180 is the minimum as they need good space and 6 feet of width.

Easier to be territorial in a larger tank, which is why you run in to this, especially with fewer tankmates namely other tangs or similarly shaped fish.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the 140?

Also, a 140 is not a suitable tank for a powder blue tang, a 180 is the minimum as they need good space and 6 feet of width.

Easier to be territorial in a larger tank, which is why you run in to this, especially with fewer tankmates namely other tangs or similarly shaped fish.
Hmm, what I kept seeing 125 as the mark for them. So far I have a pair of clowns, a watchman/shrimp pair, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, and 6 small chromis, and the kole. Would adding more opening going fish such as a group of anthias help or should I be considering something like a foxface or other non-aggressive but larger fish?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, what I kept seeing 125 as the mark for them. So far I have a pair of clowns, a watchman/shrimp pair, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, and 6 small chromis, and the kole. Would adding more opening going fish such as a group of anthias help or should I be considering something like a foxface or other non-aggressive but larger fish?
6 foot is the key, IMO a 125 is too tight for them to turn around and swim comfortably amongst rock. But nonetheless I’m not sure at this point additions would help. How the is the Kole holding up?

Two tangs is always a risk, especially with a PBT

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 foot is the key, IMO a 125 is too tight for them to turn around and swim comfortably amongst rock. But nonetheless I’m not sure at this point additions would help. How the is the Kole holding up?

Two tangs is always a risk, especially with a PBT
I'm at just over 5' so hopefully I sqeak by.

Doing better. It is eating and there hasn't been any physical damage. It seems to be getting braver. I setup two different spots with nori as well.

Rctreece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a yellow tang and a scopas tang. Both small and got along fine in qt. I put them in dt and they did well just minor tail bashing but one day I came come from work and found the yellow tang up in the corner and his tail jacked up. He would not move until the scopas chased him and nipped at his tail. I pulled the scopas out and he has been in his own tank for a week. I am wondering when I should try putting him back in and if there is anything I can do to try and help the situation? They are both fed well and have plenty of grazing spots and hiding spots. The yellow tangs tail is starting to heal. Thanks

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a yellow tang and a scopas tang. Both small and got along fine in qt. I put them in dt and they did well just minor tail bashing but one day I came come from work and found the yellow tang up in the corner and his tail jacked up. He would not move until the scopas chased him and nipped at his tail. I pulled the scopas out and he has been in his own tank for a week. I am wondering when I should try putting him back in and if there is anything I can do to try and help the situation? They are both fed well and have plenty of grazing spots and hiding spots. The yellow tangs tail is starting to heal. Thanks
What size tank? Any other tangs? What other fish?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
135 gallon. Two chromis, one flame angel, two cardinals, one dottyback and one yellow tail damsel. No other tangs
The larger space that’s possible to defend an area without much distraction is your problem. I’d recommend an acclimation box to try re-introducing.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily , I was going to have 3 tangs in my 120 gal tank, but started to think that 120 gal may not be big enough, would u agree, and also I was getting a purple tang, convict tang, and a spotted yellow eye tang but dropped the convict downsizing to 2, is the remaining a good pair as far as tangs go. I know every situation is different, but was trying to go for the flashiest and yet least aggressive, as far as tangs go that is, lol! They will be 2 inches long.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back