Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth: I like the "flame tip" of your options for a 4 foot tank. White tail can be surly (as far as bristletooth tangs go) so can Kole. I don't have much experience with orange-striped (though close cousin of Kole) -- I have noticed that very few look any better than the Kole -- despite the few photos online of extravagant-looking bristletooth tangs. That's just an aesthetic comment.
This is a good recommendation - I know they didn’t have it on the list however:
Ctenochaetus binotatus is VERY close looking to the kole tang with just a blue ring where the kole has the yellow ring. I would say that the twin spot bristletooth and white tail bristletooth are both on the more peaceful side of Ctenochaetus. I can’t say anything on the gold rush or true kole since I have almost never worked around them (If I did it was to bag one up). For sure you get the odd ones with high aggression but that’s in any fish, even some of the most peaceful fish could be your worst nightmare.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just need some advice on a possible fish order. I was meant to get tangs a couple of years back but let’s just say I’m taking things slow.

I would like to add a purple tang, chocolate tang and a yellow rabbit fish to my XXL750. I plan to add them at the same time.

My current fish are established, I have the following: majestic angel, harlequin tusk, flame angel, coral beauty, pair percula clowns and a pair of banggai cardinals.

The majestic is the boss but he’s not a prick, only giving the two small angels the occasional short chase and the harlequin is boss at food time but also not too aggressive.

Any advice or alarm bells?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just need some advice on a possible fish order. I was meant to get tangs a couple of years back but let’s just say I’m taking things slow.

I would like to add a purple tang, chocolate tang and a yellow rabbit fish to my XXL750. I plan to add them at the same time.

My current fish are established, I have the following: majestic angel, harlequin tusk, flame angel, coral beauty, pair percula clowns and a pair of banggai cardinals.

The majestic is the boss but he’s not a prick, only giving the two small angels the occasional short chase and the harlequin is boss at food time but also not too aggressive.

Any advice or alarm bells?
I think it’ll work fine. Of course individual fish have different personalities but I don’t see this as high risk. Add the tangs together and be prepared as the first post suggests :)

Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i dont see an issueand purple being most aggressive in which mine is not. At the same time is your advantage. Just be sure to acclimate well. Best bet will be to empty bags into a large pail after floating and add 1 cup of water up to 8 times (up to 2 hrs) , assure the salinity is equal to or close to tank salinity and use the same cup to catch fish and empty water and release into tank

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding 3 fish at once - shoudl be fine. Its when you add one (at least to me) - that I've had issues with tangs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add the two tangs at the same time it’ll be fine however the rabbit won’t need to be added with the tangs (It would be better if he was added before them though) because let’s face it, what fish would go after a venomous rabbitfish?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’ll work fine. Of course individual fish have different personalities but I don’t see this as high risk. Add the tangs together and be prepared as the first post suggests :)

Good luck!
Cheers this helps, my gut feeling was that it should go fine but doesn’t hurt to ask those with more experience!
i dont see an issueand purple being most aggressive in which mine is not. At the same time is your advantage. Just be sure to acclimate well. Best bet will be to empty bags into a large pail after floating and add 1 cup of water up to 8 times (up to 2 hrs) , assure the salinity is equal to or close to tank salinity and use the same cup to catch fish and empty water and release into tank
Great thanks. I like to drip over 2 hours or so controlling for temp and making sure they have plenty of oxygen. I’m very confident with acclimating, it’s putting the fish in the tank that gets me nervous.
Adding 3 fish at once - shoudl be fine. Its when you add one (at least to me) - that I've had issues with tangs
Yep I have had great success adding in groups. Of course depends on circumstances but adding individuals is far more risky in my experience.
If you add the two tangs at the same time it’ll be fine however the rabbit won’t need to be added with the tangs (It would be better if he was added before them though) because let’s face it, what fish would go after a venomous rabbitfish?
The main reason I’ll add all three is my majestic is the boss and my harlequin tusk is 7”. Neither are nasty but they have ‘owned’ the space for a couple of years now. 3 fish will definitely help disperse any aggression and confuse. Is it true other fish won’t attack a rabbit fish? I’m aware they have poisonous dorsal spines but how aware are other fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers this helps, my gut feeling was that it should go fine but doesn’t hurt to ask those with more experience!

Great thanks. I like to drip over 2 hours or so controlling for temp and making sure they have plenty of oxygen. I’m very confident with acclimating, it’s putting the fish in the tank that gets me nervous.

Yep I have had great success adding in groups. Of course depends on circumstances but adding individuals is far more risky in my experience.

The main reason I’ll add all three is my majestic is the boss and my harlequin tusk is 7”. Neither are nasty but they have ‘owned’ the space for a couple of years now. 3 fish will definitely help disperse any aggression and confuse. Is it true other fish won’t attack a rabbit fish? I’m aware they have poisonous dorsal spines but how aware are other fish?
Other fish are smarter than you’d think, I got away with adding foxfaces into established tangs in my LFS and the tang ignored it, I would still take risk but it’s not impossible.

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see if you had a solid recommendation for 3 tangs for a 200 gallon reef tank I’m currently in process of building. It’s 72”x30”x22”. Will be SPS dominant, so definitely don’t want something that bumps in to and tears up the SPS. I only have 1 requirement (Convict Tang) because they are such great workers and just love the simplicity of how they look. I’m open to options on the other 2. Thanks

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to see if you had a solid recommendation for 3 tangs for a 200 gallon reef tank I’m currently in process of building. It’s 72”x30”x22”. Will be SPS dominant, so definitely don’t want something that bumps in to and tears up the SPS. I only have 1 requirement (Convict Tang) because they are such great workers and just love the simplicity of how they look. I’m open to options on the other 2. Thanks
I’d recommend nearly any zebrasoma tang, and if you have stringent quarantine procedures you could get away with a PBT as well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Scopas tang
Tomini tang
Lavender tang

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend nearly any zebrasoma tang, and if you have stringent quarantine procedures you could get away with a PBT as well.

Ok. I personally do not quarantine, however I only buy Fish from 1 source and everything there is quarantined. That doesn’t take in to account corals though. Love the PBT and Achilles, however I’m worried about aggression on that front, so that’s why I’ve been nervous about adding either. My LFS always has quality PBT and Achilles in stock.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 3, including a convict, I would add a yellow and a kole. Or a purple and a tomini.

Scopas tang
Tomini tang
Lavender tang
That's a nice combo

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 3, including a convict, I would add a yellow and a kole. Or a purple and a tomini.

That's a nice combo
Those are good suggestions

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict (Although you may find it needs 8-9’ of tank in the long run)
Twin Spot Bristletooth
Tomini

Ctenochaetus are SO overlooked due to them being brown in the stores, my Twin Spot isnt even close to the full brown I got him at. He will display to my Genicanthus and he then gets a beautiful deep blue lines and a lighter background. I saw one strange time in September where he went this beautiful maroon red colour, I think it was spawning colours but so little is known about these fish so I can’t really tell if it was a one off or annual, he only did it in September 2021, the other year he was still 1 inch and growing, this year he was 3” so I’d say that’s a mature fish (Possibly male due to the colours looking like he was courting).
AE61453A-F410-4A36-BCA8-8206CE397F0F.jpeg

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I feel a little silly because this is the third time I have asked here about adding tangs to complete my fish list. Unfortunately in West Australia it has been difficult to order particular fish that were easy to get before the you know what. I have also recently had a velvet outbreak but managed to save 8/11 fish. My current fish have received treatment, then the Hybrid TTM and all seem well but I have 4+ weeks to observe.

My question is in regards to when to add what fish.. the fish I’ll be adding to my (fallowed 8 weeks) reefer XXL750 is as follows..
Purple tang
Hippo tang (New)
Desjardini tang (New)
Majestic angel
Eibli angel (New)
Harlequin tusk
Yellow fox face
Pair of Perc clowns
Pair of Banggai’s

The new fish arrive soon as the LFS has them but do 7 day QT (copper/prazi) but I will follow up with Hybrid TTM, fresh water dip and couple of weeks observation also.

Any advice on how to go about adding these fish?... really the tangs are my only concern

Thanks again guys

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys, I feel a little silly because this is the third time I have asked here about adding tangs to complete my fish list. Unfortunately in West Australia it has been difficult to order particular fish that were easy to get before the you know what. I have also recently had a velvet outbreak but managed to save 8/11 fish. My current fish have received treatment, then the Hybrid TTM and all seem well but I have 4+ weeks to observe.

My question is in regards to when to add what fish.. the fish I’ll be adding to my (fallowed 8 weeks) reefer XXL750 is as follows..
Purple tang
Hippo tang (New)
Desjardini tang (New)
Majestic angel
Eibli angel (New)
Harlequin tusk
Yellow fox face
Pair of Perc clowns
Pair of Banggai’s

The new fish arrive soon as the LFS has them but do 7 day QT (copper/prazi) but I will follow up with Hybrid TTM, fresh water dip and couple of weeks observation also.

Any advice on how to go about adding these fish?... really the tangs are my only concern

Thanks again guys
Not sure there is magic to the process - I would definitely get your old fish established first. Followed by the new ones. Curious how did you choose 8 weeks for your fallow period - did you raise the temp?

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure there is magic to the process - I would definitely get your old fish established first. Followed by the new ones. Curious how did you choose 8 weeks for your fallow period - did you raise the temp?
Humble fish website recommends 6 weeks fallow for velvet, it’s at the bottom of the article/first question on the thread:

I have raised the temp to 27.5-28 and I added a couple extra weeks to be sure. Also I only have a couple of leather corals so the lights are off, thoroughly cleaned all the detritus out of every crevice in the system, vacuumed the sand, cleaned and re-scaped the rocks.

No magic to the process I guess but there is a lot of discussion in this thread about what to add when so I was thinking there may be better or worse ways?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Humble fish website recommends 6 weeks fallow for velvet, it’s at the bottom of the article/first question on the thread:

I have raised the temp to 27.5-28 and I added a couple extra weeks to be sure. Also I only have a couple of leather corals so the lights are off, thoroughly cleaned all the detritus out of every crevice in the system, vacuumed the sand, cleaned and re-scaped the rocks.

No magic to the process I guess but there is a lot of discussion in this thread about what to add when so I was thinking there may be better or worse ways?
The reason I asked - is that its sometimes uncommon to be able to save fish especially 8/11 with velvet - so CONGRATS on that. I wondered if you may have had cryptocaryon instead or in conjunction. My only advice would stay the same - add the old fish first - to make sure there is no recurrence. Beyond that - adding all the new fish at the same time is probably the best idea.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 32 38.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back