Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g tank with several fish, inverts, and corals and was hoping on getting some advice on which tang would be the best to add to my tank next.

I currently have a sm/med size blue tang and a med sized yellow tang. I heard that the Sailfin Tang would be a great addition, but wasn't sure if that was true and I wanted to see what other tangs might be a good fit.

Any tips on how to introduce a new tang to a tank with already established tangs?

I also have a Flame angel, pylei wrasse, and a few bangaii cardinals that may also be aggressive.

Thanks!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g tank with several fish, inverts, and corals and was hoping on getting some advice on which tang would be the best to add to my tank next.

I currently have a sm/med size blue tang and a med sized yellow tang. I heard that the Sailfin Tang would be a great addition, but wasn't sure if that was true and I wanted to see what other tangs might be a good fit.

Any tips on how to introduce a new tang to a tank with already established tangs?

I also have a Flame angel, pylei wrasse, and a few bangaii cardinals that may also be aggressive.

Thanks!

The two sailfin tang species get very large, so I wouldn't recommend either for a 150 gallon.

As far as them getting along, the blue tang (assuming pacific blue /regal) probably won't care. The yellow has the same body type and is in the same genus (Zebrasoma) as the sailfin, so you would be more likely to have a little trouble there.

A more dissimilar tang like kole, tomini, white tail would probably be a better fit. One of the several species of foxface might be another option too. The magnificent foxface is.....magnificent.

Ed Chan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'll look into the Kole, tomini, and white tail!

The Magnificent Foxface is amazing. Should I worry about it nipping away at coral?

The two sailfin tang species get very large, so I wouldn't recommend either for a 150 gallon.

As far as them getting along, the blue tang (assuming pacific blue /regal) probably won't care. The yellow has the same body type and is in the same genus (Zebrasoma) as the sailfin, so you would be more likely to have a little trouble there.

A more dissimilar tang like kole, tomini, white tail would probably be a better fit. One of the several species of foxface might be another option too. The magnificent foxface is.....magnificent.

truetricia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all of you tang-fanatics...

120g 48" aquarium currently in the build phase. I've had a sailfin and naso before I had to shut the tank down for a move (and sold/gave away the fish). Currently the only fish now are a pair of CB clowns from ORA finishing up QT.

I want a few tangs for my tank around October. I want to do mainly CB or sustainably sourced fish, so I'm definitely going to get a Biota CB yellow tang. I also want fish that will be useful as well and help control algae. I travel quite a bit, so help with the maintenance is appreciated by the inhabitants! So here's the question...

Should I do three YT or mix it up? A YT, a convict tang, and a sailfin (I'll trade down in size when it gets too big)? Or what other good algae eaters would you recommend?

Spar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really comes down to your personal preference as to the look of schooling tangs. i.e. all yellow or a mixed bag. You really can't go wrong either way. As long as you QT them together then they shouldn't fight, but regardless of the combination make sure to keep an eye out.

TwoBucketsOfSalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 76L X 29W X 24H 230 gallon reef. I am wondering if the following tangs will be okay together:
Yellow
Blue
Naso
Orangeshoulder

Thanks.

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily I have a 6' 180 gallon with current occupants of 3 wrasse and 2 occ clowns. I'm planning to add a magnificent foxface and 3 lyretail anthias but after that I want to add some tangs. These are what I'm currently considering. I don't plan to add all of them, just trying to narrow down the list. Down the road after the tangs I may add a sand shifting goby but other than that these will be the last fish I add.
Chevron
Yellow
Gem
Purple
Desjardini
Tenneti
Naso
Hippo
What would be the best combo and are any of these more susceptible to disease than others? I plan to add them all at the same time.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all of you tang-fanatics...

120g 48" aquarium currently in the build phase. I've had a sailfin and naso before I had to shut the tank down for a move (and sold/gave away the fish). Currently the only fish now are a pair of CB clowns from ORA finishing up QT.

I want a few tangs for my tank around October. I want to do mainly CB or sustainably sourced fish, so I'm definitely going to get a Biota CB yellow tang. I also want fish that will be useful as well and help control algae. I travel quite a bit, so help with the maintenance is appreciated by the inhabitants! So here's the question...

Should I do three YT or mix it up? A YT, a convict tang, and a sailfin (I'll trade down in size when it gets too big)? Or what other good algae eaters would you recommend?
I would mix it up :)

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 76L X 29W X 24H 230 gallon reef. I am wondering if the following tangs will be okay together:
Yellow
Blue
Naso
Orangeshoulder

Thanks.
They should work fine together but they all get very large except the yellow. If you didn’t keep much else you would be fine for a while. You’d be better picking one maybe two of the last three and then 2-3 of the smaller tangs. I recommend a convict tang, very underrated :)
@4FordFamily I have a 6' 180 gallon with current occupants of 3 wrasse and 2 occ clowns. I'm planning to add a magnificent foxface and 3 lyretail anthias but after that I want to add some tangs. These are what I'm currently considering. I don't plan to add all of them, just trying to narrow down the list. Down the road after the tangs I may add a sand shifting goby but other than that these will be the last fish I add.
Chevron
Yellow
Gem
Purple
Desjardini
Tenneti
Naso
Hippo
What would be the best combo and are any of these more susceptible to disease than others? I plan to add them all at the same time.
I’d skip the desjardini for the gem, and add maybe one other. You’ll want three zebrasoma or add two and two other tangs concurrently, but two may end up fighting :)

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should work fine together but they all get very large except the yellow. If you didn’t keep much else you would be fine for a while. You’d be better picking one maybe two of the last three and then 2-3 of the smaller tangs. I recommend a convict tang, very underrated :)

I’d skip the desjardini for the gem, and add maybe one other. You’ll want three zebrasoma or add two and two other tangs concurrently, but two may end up fighting :)
I'm not sure I'm following you there. Can you dumb it down a little for me. :p

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's the deal with tangs? How do I keep them together? Why are they so aggressive and difficult to keep sometimes? It's a common discussion point. Some may dissent with what I have to share but I've never had less than three tanks running at a time, up to 7, and have been in the hobby ~15 years with 2 of them spent working for an LFS running their saltwater fish dept largely, for what it's worth.

I hope this is helpful.
This post was very helpful. I have a 120g tank that is about five months in. I have a male and female goby with a pistol shrimp they have paired with. I also have a coral beauty and a pair of clowns. I wanted to add some color and was considering a yellow tang. I understand they can help quite a bit with keeping algae at bay. I don't plan a ton of fish, and I want to get LPS going. Does a yellow tang sound like a good addition?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you are saying just go with the purple and gem but add another zebrasoma. I was hoping to add more than just zebras though.
Well you can try only two but it could go poorly. It could also be just fine, it’s a gamble. That said, if you add with other tangs at the same time and the purple and gem are small you may be OK.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post was very helpful. I have a 120g tank that is about five months in. I have a male and female goby with a pistol shrimp they have paired with. I also have a coral beauty and a pair of clowns. I wanted to add some color and was considering a yellow tang. I understand they can help quite a bit with keeping algae at bay. I don't plan a ton of fish, and I want to get LPS going. Does a yellow tang sound like a good addition?
I would say so yes :)

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can try only two but it could go poorly. It could also be just fine, it’s a gamble. That said, if you add with other tangs at the same time and the purple and gem are small you may be OK.
Ok, so would these work together with what I already have/plan to add in the tank?

Yellow
Gem
Purple
Tenneti
Naso
Hippo

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back