120 gallon LPS build

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers. This is my main tank. 120 gallon. I left reefing for a while, and this is my foray back into the hobby. The start for the tank was a 60-gallon that I had for a couple years and really just lost interest. But moving to a new area inspired me to set up something new in my basement. I was able to transfer some things from the original tank to make the restart a little less expensive.
IMG_2719.jpg

Hardware:
Deep Blue 120 gallon tank
Custom wood stand and canopy from LFS
Trigger Ruby cube sump
2 x Radion XR30w lights in the main tank
Kessil H80 lite in refugium section of sump
2 x Vortech MP40 powerheads
Vectra S2 return pump
Reeflink module for the Eccotech devices
Apex with temp and ph probe
Aqua Gadget 15 gal ATO resevoir
Finnex platinum heater

Filtration:
Octo Classic skimmer
Manmade rock with some starter Coralline algea
Chaeto in refugium
MarinePure ceramic biofilter media

Inhabitants:
3 clusters of Duncans
2 Acons
1 Chalice
Pistol shrimp
Male and female goby
Pair of clowns
Coral Beuty
Various snails and hermits

Tank has now been running for five months. I am happy with where I am, and looking forward to adding more life. I would say the only thing I am concerned about right now is that my Chaeto is not really thriving. I remember doing this several years ago and you needed to pull a bunch out of the sump every month. Any thoughts on recommended height of H80? Maybe I am too high. I have the intensity all the way up. If I need it to be lower I will have to either build something or get another one of their flexible arms (I have one on 10g).

I would say watching the pistol shrimp and goby's interact is my favorite part of the aquarium thus far. It is just so cool to see him work.

I plan to add a yellow tang next weekend for their love of algea so I can keep that in check.

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, John.
Looks good so far. Chaeto growth will have a direct correlation to the amount of nutrients available not just the lighting. Have you tested your parameters lately, specifically Phosphates and Nitrates, and, what are they?
You should head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and make an introduction.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a phosphate test kit, but Nitrate is less than 2 on the Red Reef standard test kit. I do try to not overfeed the tank, and I have the skimmer. I don't think the Chaeto is shrinking. It is just not growing perceptively.

OP
OP
A

AquaAmator

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, John.
Looks good so far. Chaeto growth will have a direct correlation to the amount of nutrients available not just the lighting. Have you tested your parameters lately, specifically Phosphates and Nitrates, and, what are they?
You should head on over to the Meet & Greet Forum and make an introduction.
I replied to you in the main thread. Still getting the hang of this.

Back