Tang Aggression - Understanding and Combating

joey123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More tangs would likely reduce aggression, but your plan may well work. It depends on your nutrient export if your tank can handle such an addition to bioload (I overstock my tanks lol)

Nutrient export is likely my number one strength in this tank right now! I like a full tank of fish and lots in/ lots out.

So-- if you wouldn't mind, here's the big question. Of all the tactics we've discussed with their various pros and cons, what 2 or 3 do you think would have the best success rates? Nutrient export, food availability, and fish costs are non issues here.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrient export is likely my number one strength in this tank right now! I like a full tank of fish and lots in/ lots out.

So-- if you wouldn't mind, here's the big question. Of all the tactics we've discussed with their various pros and cons, what 2 or 3 do you think would have the best success rates? Nutrient export, food availability, and fish costs are non issues here.
That's the problem with this type of problem-solving and "expertise". One person can try and have ZERO problems. Other people can try and start WW3.

I'd say, risk-wise, there's little difference between a PBT and powder brown, and adding with a clown may have long-term risks you can evaluate later (aggression and size restrictions) but I think that may work fine. The trigger at the same time is a good move. If you have a need for another tang or tang-shaped fish (butterfly, or even angels in some cases) -- adding concurrently is a better move.

I've never witnessed aggression between a clown or sohal tang and a PBT. I've mixed them many times. That said, I know it happens. It's always possible. I've seen a naso tang terrorize a tank like a giant sohal might --- as uncommon as that is I've seen it. Anything can happen, these are individual animals with individual temperaments. I think you'd be fine with that combination, and adding other similarly-shaped fish would increase the odds of success.

To me it's all about increasing or decreasing the odds -- or taking a calculated risk because it's what you want to do. I think your plan is as good as any without cost, nutrient export, or food concerns!

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the number of tangs one could add to a tank with out issues. I currently am building a 310 gallon 96”x30”x25” are the dimensions. I currently have a flame fin, yellow tangin my 75 both only about 4-5” , naso and vlamingi tang are in frag tank naso is 4” vlamingi about 2”. I plan to add a couple more to the picture such as powder blue, white cheek, hippo, sailfin, clown or sohal and a purple. Is that to many tangs for this size tank? Will there be any issues adding these additional tangs(not exactly in that order pbt, purple, and clown will most likely be added at the same time to avoid aggression. Other stock will be a fox faces both the lo and magnificent, blue throat pair school of lyretail anthias, Fire fish all colors and about 4-5 wrasses.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the number of tangs one could add to a tank with out issues. I currently am building a 310 gallon 96”x30”x25” are the dimensions. I currently have a flame fin, yellow tangin my 75 both only about 4-5” , naso and vlamingi tang are in frag tank naso is 4” vlamingi about 2”. I plan to add a couple more to the picture such as powder blue, white cheek, hippo, sailfin, clown or sohal and a purple. Is that to many tangs for this size tank? Will there be any issues adding these additional tangs(not exactly in that order pbt, purple, and clown will most likely be added at the same time to avoid aggression. Other stock will be a fox faces both the lo and magnificent, blue throat pair school of lyretail anthias, Fire fish all colors and about 4-5 wrasses.
I think it could be done but vlamingi get so very large that’ll be the biggest tax. If it was me I’d do your plan (it could work if added in groups) and omit either the naso or vlamingi.

With very good nutrient export and some luck (always required when mixing tangs) you may well be fine.

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it could be done but vlamingi get so very large that’ll be the biggest tax. If it was me I’d do your plan (it could work if added in groups) and omit either the naso or vlamingi.

With very good nutrient export and some luck (always required when mixing tangs) you may well be fine.

If I understand this correctly you are saying everything will work except having both the naso and vlamingi. So I have to leave one out ?

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand this correctly you are saying everything will work except having both the naso and vlamingi. So I have to leave one out ?
I’m making that suggestion, for space and nutrient purposes. The vlamingi gets so large it’s a huge bio load fish

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need some thoughts and advice. I have a 240gal DT.
Stock already in tank: @ clowns, 1 royal gramma, 1 bi-color blenny, 1 redline wrasse, 1 rubyheaded wrasse, 3 green chromis, 1 7" foxface, 1 2 1/2" Naso tang, 1 2" yellow tang and 1- 1 1/2 sailfin tang.
I have 1- 3" yellow eyed kole tang and 1- 4-5" banner butterfly in a qt and 1- 1 1/2" hippo in another. next week they are done with qt and plan to add all the 3 at one time. At first had the 3 qt fish together but there was a lot of aggression between the kole and butterfly fish. the hippo stayed hidden. I had to put a divider in the tank and moved the hippo to it's own tank to make sure it ate well and got use to me. after a week the kole and butterfly worked out their differences. The little hippo has been eating like a pig and comes right up to the glass when I feed.
Does my plan soud ok to add them all at once to the large tank. No big issues with aggression in there. the foxface is the boss at the moment and only bumps the tangs when they get in his path. No one is activily bulleying anyone except between the clowns. it has been almost 2 months since I added the 3 tangs to the DT.
My main concern it my hippo since it is so small. but not planning on adding anymore so feel I need to add with this batch as a group.
Ok. All fish together for a little bit now and mostly get along except when they keep getting to close to the royal gramma's cave. Lol. But last couple of days have notice suspicious looking Mark's that look like a bite of maybe the kole tang on 1 redline wrasse, 1 royal gramma, and this morning 1 chromis. The kole is the most aggressive at the moment but haven't actually seen him bite someone. Mostly run up harrass a second and leave. Hope this goes way. Actually the banner will nip at the other fish sometimes but haven't seen a mark where I see it do it. These Mark's are like a white circle. Did see this mark from big color blenny before is why I thought bristle tooth mark. I guess it could be him doing it also since all fish have been smaller ones.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. All fish together for a little bit now and mostly get along except when they keep getting to close to the royal gramma's cave. Lol. But last couple of days have notice suspicious looking Mark's that look like a bite of maybe the kole tang on 1 redline wrasse, 1 royal gramma, and this morning 1 chromis. The kole is the most aggressive at the moment but haven't actually seen him bite someone. Mostly run up harrass a second and leave. Hope this goes way. Actually the banner will nip at the other fish sometimes but haven't seen a mark where I see it do it. These Mark's are like a white circle. Did see this mark from big color blenny before is why I thought bristle tooth mark. I guess it could be him doing it also since all fish have been smaller ones.
Tangs usually stab or bite fins, bites on a fish as you describe are more likely the result of a blenny.

dustinc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's probably overstocking, but what are your thoughts on these tang combos for a 120 SPS reef with lots of open space. They will all be added at the same time, so which combo do you think would be the best.

1) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Convict Tang
2) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Blue Hippo Tang
3) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Powder Blue Tang

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's probably overstocking, but what are your thoughts on these tang combos for a 120 SPS reef with lots of open space. They will all be added at the same time, so which combo do you think would be the best.

1) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Convict Tang
2) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Blue Hippo Tang
3) Yellow Tang, White Tail Bristletooth, & Powder Blue Tang
Option 1. Hippo tangs and Powder Blue tangs need a larger tank. In addition, 1 is a great mix.

Convict tangs are extremely underrated IMO.

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! What are your thoughts on adding with a purple an A. Japonicus tang (both juveniles Tank is fallow, so they can be all added at the same time):

A: juvenile yellow, juvenile scopes

B: (larger than the A. Japonicus) a powder blue

C: juvenile hippo

(Purple is the boss so far, the A. Japonicus is not very aggressive from what I’ve observed.)

Thank you!

Also, what tank size do you recommend for a French angel?

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a question..
Setting up my new tank in the next couple months and thought it would be cool to have multiple purples. I see people with multiple yellow tangs, and I have one purple and he is not very aggressive. What would be the minimum number you think?

Current stock: adult blonde naso, monster sohal, medium achilies, monster desjardini, scopas, purple, medium hippo, lemon peel, and a fowleri.

I know... I have a tang problem. Lol

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! What are your thoughts on adding with a purple an A. Japonicus tang (both juveniles Tank is fallow, so they can be all added at the same time):

A: juvenile yellow, juvenile scopes

B: (larger than the A. Japonicus) a powder blue

C: juvenile hippo

(Purple is the boss so far, the A. Japonicus is not very aggressive from what I’ve observed.)

Thank you!

Also, what tank size do you recommend for a French angel?
A) this could work fine
B) this is risky, and if you decided to try anyway i would suggest the powder blue be smaller
C) one tang added is risky but hippo are good hiders and are often ignored by other tangs for some reason. That’s never a guarantee, however.

French angels grow enormous and quickly. My 2.5” Frenchie has almost doubled in size in 18 months. I’d say 8 foot tank minimum though they’ll outgrow that eventually. May outgrow my ten foot tank, too!

Kalinina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

I will stick with the Zebrasoma trio. I wasn’t considering the powder blue until I saw a very healthy specimen at my LFS yesterday. Glad I didn’t impulse buy!

Thank you for the info on the Frenchie! I read in the show off your angel thread how underrated they are, but that they get huge. My bf would like one, but I’m thinking we need to wait to actually have the upgraded 8 ft tank since they are such fast growers, or that they are too big of a fish for us. I didn’t expect to read yours might outgrow your 10 ft tank!!

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!

I will stick with the Zebrasoma trio. I wasn’t considering the powder blue until I saw a very healthy specimen at my LFS yesterday. Glad I didn’t impulse buy!

Thank you for the info on the Frenchie! I read in the show off your angel thread how underrated they are, but that they get huge. My bf would like one, but I’m thinking we need to wait to actually have the upgraded 8 ft tank since they are such fast growers, or that they are too big of a fish for us. I didn’t expect to read yours might outgrow your 10 ft tank!!
I’ve seen some massive frenchies, I don’t know how long they took to get there but mine is growing fast, and he’s also pretty aggressive. He’s probably 4.5 inches or so and in with angels twice his size and has no problem asserting himself!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...I have had a Gold Rim for a few years but removed him to a frag tank about 3 weeks ago. My plan was to introduce a yellow tang and a bristle tooth tang to the DT and let them get settled in for several weeks. How long will it take the Gold Rim to "forget" the DT. That is, be the newcomer instead of the established tang. Any chance this will work?'

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...I have had a Gold Rim for a few years but removed him to a frag tank about 3 weeks ago. My plan was to introduce a yellow tang and a bristle tooth tang to the DT and let them get settled in for several weeks. How long will it take the Gold Rim to "forget" the DT. That is, be the newcomer instead of the established tang. Any chance this will work?'
Not sure he will ever forget, they remember like elephants (acanthurus tangs). That said, it may still work. So many questions and possible results, but unless he’s a complete jerk it will probably be fine if he’s added to the other two once they’re established.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's! Wow, I never dreamed they could remember their past that well. I'll give them a month or so to settle in and then be prepared to intervene if needed.

OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank's! Wow, I never dreamed they could remember their past that well. I'll give them a month or so to settle in and then be prepared to intervene if needed.
I view it as them holding grudges about fish and it’s more about changing behavior than memory. If they’re accustomed to fighting off successfully (only tang) other tangs, and or are actually chasing other tangs they can be added back months later only to resume the exact same behavior. I’ve seen it a lot and only with the more aggressive acanthurus, namely powder blue, brown, goldrim, and Achilles.

An alternative is to set them in a neutral QT tank together, it’s new to all of them and they become acquainted and when reunited to the tank it’s less likely to be problematic.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%

Back