Tang aggression

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and a tomini tang along with a Midas blenny, bar goby, watchman goby, Bangui cardinal, molly miller and a bonded pair of snowflake clowns.. about two months ago.. I separated the clowns thinking they were ready to have me babies.. they have yet to do so.. and I'm wanting to get rid of my smaller tank they are currently in.. I added the clowns back to the dt and the tomini tang immediately started picking on the clowns.. I took them back out and placed them back in the breeding tank.. how can I add the clowns into my dt again without the tomini attacking them?

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may try introducing them using an acclimation box for several days until the tang starts to ignore them.
I would have to get one.. I don't have one big enough for both clowns or just the tang.. I'm afraid I will stress the tang out.. it sucks cause they were all in together before I had to go mess things up

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome.. I have read that before but completely forgot.. would you add the tang to it or the clowns
Either would work. It's probably easier to add the clowns via acclimation box.

OP
OP
Sistawolf

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either would work. It's probably easier to add the clowns via acclimation box.
+1 Clowns would be more comfortable in a Kritter Keeper anyway. Or you could put the Tomini in "sump jail" for a week so the clowns can get established.
Thank you both for your help or actually all three of you.. I really appreciate it

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang and a tomini tang along with a Midas blenny, bar goby, watchman goby, Bangui cardinal, molly miller and a bonded pair of snowflake clowns.. about two months ago.. I separated the clowns thinking they were ready to have me babies.. they have yet to do so.. and I'm wanting to get rid of my smaller tank they are currently in.. I added the clowns back to the dt and the tomini tang immediately started picking on the clowns.. I took them back out and placed them back in the breeding tank.. how can I add the clowns into my dt again without the tomini attacking them?
keep feeding the tang well, its only defending its feeding territory. I had the same thing with a yellow tang , and was advised to more or less overfeed it for a few days which made it ignore the fish it was bullying and after a few days everything was fine

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple mirrors on the glass will usually occupy a tang for several days as they tail with their reflections.
I keep four mirrors of various sizes that sit flat against the tank glass for when I add a be fish just in case one if my tangs decide to be a fool

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow tang in a 300 gallon. I added another yellow tang. The established yellow immediately tried to murder it and was relentless. I put mirrors at both ends of the tank. The established tang was intimidated by its own grim reflection. The new tang quickly realized that the mirror provided a safe zone. Hostilities tended to cease at feeding time. In a couple of weeks the new tang was pretty safe from attack. In about four weeks, his torn fins were back to perfection. In about six weeks, the two tangs generally ranged the tank together.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have nothing to add, all of the advice I would give has already been provided. The only thing I'll add is that the vast majority of bristletooth tangs will not hold permanent grudges and should get over the aggression to new tankmates that are not tangs, quickly. Even tangs will eventually be forgiven, typically.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back