Tang and blenny actin strange or normal?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are these spots?

It sounds like it may be velvet? Typically going from nothing to "covered" overnight would be a sign.

No matter what it may be, once you figure out what you are dealing with, you will want to treat all of your fish even if some are asymptomatic.

Can you post pics of the tang?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I get home I will... it looks like white heads stuck all over it, maybe 12-16... the symptoms are 2 - 3 days old, but the spots just showed up overnight drastically.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes are very hard to see unless they are in a fresh water dip. I suspect the spots you see now are velvet or ich.
If velvet, you have very little time to act. Start a hospital tank and treat all fish

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all I got is a 10gallon that needs to be cleaned thoroughly...

I have an Aqueon 75g HOTB filter I could use... (overkill I know but its all I got)
Wont need a circulation pump right? The filter's overflow return is half the size of the tank....

Need a heater... its an old incandescent lid, for fresh water... will that suffice for just fish?

If I QT all of them, we are talking:

Powder brown Tang
Starry Blenny
Gromma
Davinci Clown
Snowflake Clown
Blue/Yellow Damsel
2 Spotted Goby
Pscyhodellic Mandarin Drag
6 line wrasse

Not sure I can pack them into a 10 gallon... lol...

Do crab and snails need to be removed as well? Is my Chaeto Fuge gonna be ok?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dose the tank, just know you can throw off parameters for a few months. The result can be a loss or corals, inverts.... But that's the chance you take by dosing the entire tank. I'm sorry you are having this happen. There is no easy answer to address it. Post a pic of the fish when you can, just know you will need to act soon. With some parasites or infections, by the time you see symptoms you can start losing fish in as little as a day. I hope that is not the case for you, but act soon with whatever your decision is.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that's too many fish for a 10-gallon tank, even for QT. Your filter sounds adequate to the task, though. I'll usually use Bio-Spira to add bacteria to my filter sponges before adding fish to QT - I use an Aqua-Clear 110 for my 40-B, and when I had a 75 up to go "fallow", used two of those. Lighting in QT is unimportant - your incandescent hood will do, even ambient room light is adequate, though makes good observation a challenge.

Inverts should be wherever copper / CP are _not_. If you decide to treat your display (be aware that if you use copper in your display, rocks can absorb it, and then leach it at a later date!), then move the inverts out. Prazi-Pro is gentle enough to use in the display, though feather-dusters and other worms may be affected.

~Bruce

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I FW dipped the tang and when I put him back in he seemed to be much more calm and not as agitated. There is zero chance I can catch my blenny, tank is too full and too holes/spaces for him to hide. Plus he is fast as hell.. Took me 20 minutes to catch the tang...

I'm hoping the damsel and clowns have a strong enough defense to fend of whatever it is.. I don't have the money or time to set up a QT tank right now... So Starving the tank is not an option...

The blenny stays hidden 90% of the day so I cant even observe him..

Idk what to do ... sigh... How often can I FW dip the tang? Am I basically waiting for the inevitable that I am going to slowly lose all my fish if I cant get them out and treat them?

I have 49 corals, all mixed... lps, sps, softies, zoas, acros... I'm not willing to risk the corals for a couple fish.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet, which this sounds like to me, all your fish will be affected. And you will lose them, it just reproduces too quickly and attacks the gills, suffocating them.

Should one survive, so will the velvet preventing future fish additions because they will succumb to the velvet.

Though this statement "I'm not willing to risk the corals for a couple fish." says to me, maybe you should not keep fish if they are worth so little.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With velvet, which this sounds like to me, all your fish will be affected. And you will lose them, it just reproduces too quickly and attacks the gills, suffocating them.

Should one survive, so will the velvet preventing future fish additions because they will succumb to the velvet.

Though this statement "I'm not willing to risk the corals for a couple fish." says to me, maybe you should not keep fish if they are worth so little.

What I was meant by that is that I am not willing to Dose my Tank and lose all my coral.. I didn't have a QT set up due to my inexperience, which got me here in the first place.

And from what I have read, I don't have time to set up and cycle a treatment tank before its too late... I'm not happy about any of this at all, and wish I had a QT setup... I will try to get an all-in-one in the enxt few days and see if I can rush the cycle somehow and try to save the fish... and then starve the tank while I treat the fish I suppose?

Cant I treat them all together?
Don't I need livestock in the tank to have nutrients etc to maintain corals?
Will keeping inverts in the tank give the parasite a home or is it fish-only?
Should I take the shrimp, crab, hermits, and snails out as well?

I'm a 1st timer... Just don't know enough to handle this alone...

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hearing from other sources that PolypLab Medic works in DT's... people said they have treated ich and velvet in their reef tanks multiple times by raising the tank temp to 81/82 and treating in their DT's... Also antoher product that appears to be names "Ich Attack" by a company called.. "Kordon"

Anyone run into these or can vouch?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your having these issues, I know they area pain.

Treating in a hospital tank is the only way to eliminate ich/ velvet. Dont waste your money on anything that claims it is a reef safe velvet or ich treatment.

The sticky threads in this forum contain all the information you need. This thread explains the answers to you fallow questions:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fallow-periods-going-fishless.190324/

The only in-tank option is managing the parasites through nutrition and immunity. A very few people have some success this way, but it is not an easy way around the issue. I do not use this strategy so you will have to search for that info.

I recommend getting a proper qt tank, developing a protocol and practice using it. There are no shortcuts in keeping a reef tank.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some photos right before I did the FW dip...

Tang1.jpg
Tang3.jpg
Tang2.jpg

Will check on him tomorrow and update.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was meant by that is that I am not willing to Dose my Tank and lose all my coral.. I didn't have a QT set up due to my inexperience, which got me here in the first place.

And from what I have read, I don't have time to set up and cycle a treatment tank before its too late... I'm not happy about any of this at all, and wish I had a QT setup... I will try to get an all-in-one in the enxt few days and see if I can rush the cycle somehow and try to save the fish... and then starve the tank while I treat the fish I suppose?

Cant I treat them all together?
Don't I need livestock in the tank to have nutrients etc to maintain corals?
Will keeping inverts in the tank give the parasite a home or is it fish-only?
Should I take the shrimp, crab, hermits, and snails out as well?

I'm a 1st timer... Just don't know enough to handle this alone...

The freshwater dip probably knocked down his parasite burden, but he will be worse again and soon.

This thread explains how to treat for velvet.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=217570&share_fid=1020&share_type=t

Yes you can treat them all together. You dont have to have an aquarium really, you can use plastic storage containers, a stock tank or anything food safe that will hold water and allow a hob filter and heater to be attached. An aquarium is ideal because you can see the fish better to monitor, might see if craigslist has anything to offer or a local reef club.

Try to get some biospira or dr Tim's one and only, let the hob filters sponge soak in that and add it in. An ammonia alert badge would also be good to monitor levels. Once you get copper in the tank, other ammonia tests are useless. The cycle will have to helped along with large water changes as needed to keep ammonia in check

Fish parasites need fish to continue the life cycle, they dont infect inverts. Everything else in the tank can stay, just the fish have to come out.

Nutrients can be added to the tank, using coral foods or even just feeding fish food to the tank. Just monitor the levels. Some people even keep reefs with no fish, just have to make sure you have some nutrients going in.

Your not alone, lots of good people here will help you. Velvet kills very quickly though, if you can get them out tonight is better. This is an emergency type situation with velvets speed of kill.

Meds needed are Copper, preferably a chelated copper like copper power. And a copper test kit to match the type of copper you buy.

And ideally, Acriflavine -ruby reef rally is usually the easiest to find med that has acriflavine.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velveg would be my suspicion, with numerous spots in the pic, speed of them appearing, and the twitchy agitated behaviour.

Did your freshwater dip cause any sesame seed type things to fall off?

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velveg would be my suspicion, with numerous spots in the pic, speed of them appearing, and the twitchy agitated behaviour.

Did your freshwater dip cause any sesame seed type things to fall off?

It appeared to. I didnt get a really good look cuz I was rushing to do it before I left for work and he took so long to catch that I ran out of time.

His spots were noticeably better after or so it seemed.

So what if I removed all the fish... threw them in a rubbermaid 19gallon with a 75g hotb packed with media... a heater and 1 pump and just followed?

I'll use stability in the filter and throw a couple cheap dry rock pieces and PVC in the rubbermaid to help comfort them?

Then treat with copper and a med supplement? 8 weeks later good to go hopefully?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be a start, time will tell if its large enough for the fallow period but I imagine you'll need to break up the fish in groups in smaller tanks or use a larger tank to house them together and maintain water quality.

I usually only quarantine 2, maybe 3, small fish in a 20g.

Freshwater dip, acriflavine bath, ramp up (as many small doses, spread over as many hours as you can to let the fish adjust as you work toward therapeutic level) copper over 24 to 48 hours.

The freshwater dip would offer some immediate relief with velvet, the osmotic shock will force some of the parasites off.
But this is very short lived relief, without the rest of the treatment.

Stability has not seemed to work as well ss the others I mentioned. You can usually find biospira at Petco.

OP
OP
RichtheReefer21

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will see what I can come up with for a plan...

I only have 1 extra filter... and it sounds like I got no time to waste.
So i'm just gonna take my chances with 1 QT, I'll go buy like a 30gallon transparent Rebbermaid container ... I'll just do like 15% WC's every 3 or 4 days...

None of my fish are mature. the tang and blenny are the teenagers... the tang is 4" max, same with the blenny.
But my 2 clowns, damsel, 6 line wrasse and gromma are all babies basically. Small (less than 2 inches)

@GoldeneyeRet Can my anemone stay in the DT while I fallow? I read the article and I will keep feeding the nem once a week with the LRS frenzy, and I have some pellets to keep some nutrients in the tank cycling for the corals I am intending on keeping during the Fallow...

Thanks again everyone for all the info and advice... Lort knows I need it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back