Tang diets

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm probably going to get some hate for this but... I don't feed my tangs seaweed. I was told that spirulina brine shrimp would be a good alternative to feeding seaweed and I've been adding that to their diet on a daily basis for the past 3 years and my sailfin, scopas, and yellow tangs are all fat and happy. Anybody else not feed their tangs seaweed?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are grazers so I find it beneficial for them to graze on nori on a clip for a few hours. I feed nori every other day.

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a YT in my 3YO established 65g tank and never feed it Nori - there is more than enough algae in the tank for it to graze on, and I want it to do that. I don’t have an algae problem in this tank, just what I consider normal in an established tank. It has a Lawnmower Blennie for company and both get plenty of their ‘veges’.

I also have an 8 month old 130g tank with a YT and BT. And two Blennies (LMB, Bicolour). As this tank is still maturing, and as all the initial GHA has been dealt with, I give them some Nori every week or so.

Both sets of fish seem very happy.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never fed nori to my tangs.........I want them to work for the algae and pick it off the reef. My purple tang lived for 23 years without any nori.

I currently have a yellow in my display and a desjardini( frag tank) and both are plump and happy without any nori feedings.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back