Tang gang for 185g

jassojasso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I recently upgraded to Waterbox 275.6. It has display of 185 gallon (6ft x 2 ft x 2,5ish ft)
Big reason for upgrade was to get tangs and maybe 1-2 large angels (Regal and maybe Majestic, to be added later).
There are currently 11 fish in system (moved from my old) with one spot foxface being the largest, rest are blennies, gobies, damsels, clowns etc smaller fish.
I really want a yellow tang and it is the only "must have", my tank should be ample for it.
For other tangs I have been thinking of Tomini tang, sailfing tang and blue tang.
Tomini should be no problem with regards to size. But with sailfin and blue, I know the size is bit iffy long term.
All tangs would be added at same time. So in total ~ 4 tangs.
How does this tang gang sound? Do you have any alternatives or suggestions?
I appriciate hardier and maybe a bit less aggressive tangs so I have excluded Acanthurus tangs. Also Naso tangs are really cool, but I know they will get too large for this system long term.
Thanks for feedback!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend Yellow, Powder Blue ir Powder Brown, either Tomini or a tang in that genus. 3 tangs and a. Foxface should be great for a 180. A Convict instead of the Powder Blue or a Powder Brown would be fine too. All of these tang can live all their life in a 180.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your group looks good, I recommend the sailfin and the yellow go in at the same time. You probably will be getting a juv yellow that captive bred Im sure, so maybe add that and let it grow a little before getting the sail fin. My yellow is kind of a butthole to be honest now that he is bigger lol

Rollins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a trio gang with a tommi, yellow and gem. All QT’d separately and introduced together. Worked out great

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a Powder Blue, add it as the last of all large fish and add him smaller, less than3 inches would be best. Avoid add a large PBT if at all possible.
They at soooo beautiful
IMG_1360.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
IMG_1527.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a Powder Blue, add it as the last of all large fish and add him smaller, less than3 inches would be best. Avoid add a large PBT if at all possible.
They at soooo beautiful
IMG_1360.jpeg
IMG_5006.jpeg
IMG_1526.jpeg
IMG_1527.jpeg
Holy heck your PBT is fattt!! Lol stunning.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW 6X2X2.5 is a 225 gal tank. 6X2X2 is a 180 gal tank.nominally. The glass thickness will account for some volume loss

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would skip the sailfin. I see no reason to add one if you know it will outgrow the tank. I agree with @OrionN, add ones that can live long term in the tank. I've never been a fan of adding fish I knew I could not keep long term but I tend to get attached to my pets. I recently upgraded from a 72x24x24" to a 84x30x25" so my tangs have more swim room.

zookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this tang gang is good. The sail fin might outgrow the tank my old one got pretty big. I think it would work. Just be careful of the powder blue they can get pretty aggresive and are very susceptible to ick.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A healthy blue tang has the most colorful and bright blue coloration of all the fishes. I think his swim motion is choppy and not at all graceful. But to each his own. Good luck. Your tank should be enough room for them all to grow into and live there for a long time, if not forever.

IndyReef78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to piggyback off this question, since it's similar to mine - I have a new 210 display volume, almost 7 foot long tank that is finally cycled. I would like to add 3-4 tangs eventually (I think that number will work.) In the past, in a much smaller tank, I had a small blue hippo, a large Blonde Naso and a Sailfin that all got along very well, even though they were added at different times. I have since learned that it might be a good idea to add all the tangs at once (hoping to get smallish ones that can grow.) I know I want another Blue Hippo, I would like another Blonde Naso, maybe a Yellow tang, and maybe either a powder blue, purple tang, or Desjardini Sailfin. I'm a little worried about the powder blue and purple since they are similar to the Hippo. Any thoughts on the best way to add them?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue and Purple are more agressive of the tangs. Mine get along fine as two of the largest of the fish. In my 320, with plenty of rock structure, I done have problem adding other fishes. The Purple is 6 inches and the Powder Blue is 5.5 ish inches. I successfully add a small Dejardini 3 inches, Convict 2.5 inches and Blonde Naso 2.5 inches. I do make sure all my tangs are eating well and fat prior to adding. They all got use to eating Nori on a clip. When they got chased to the rock initially, I add the Nori on a stick (clip on the stick, and place it where they are hiding so they can eat. I gradually move the clips farther and farther away from the rock structure as they get more comfortable. The Naso is the last tang to go into my tank.

OP
OP
J

jassojasso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update! I have sailfin tang now. A fellow hobbyist had him in too small tank and could not feed him enough so he got a new home. He is bit on a thin side but that is getting fixed.Before that he had been in a larger system so he has been in captivity for years. He is really active, friendly and has voracious appetite.
I am getting captive bred yellow tang soon.

Attachments

• IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    137.4 KB · Views: 5

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back