Tang Housing Question

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, Tang Police, I need a little help. LiveAquaria and almost every other site I've looked at says 75g minimum for a White Tail Bristletooth Tang. However, at a potential of 6.5" my 3ft by 2ft footprint seems a tad small. How accurate is this information, and do they reach this size particularly young or take a few years to grow out that far (assuming I start with a juvy)? If it will outgrow this inside of three years or so, do you have a better recommendation - other than the ubiquitous and frankly rather boring baby yellow tang? Whatever it is must be reef safe, or at least trustworthy with corals and preferably larger snails and hermits. Preferably nonvenomous - I'm a klutz, LOL! I like it best when I can raise my new fish from a baby and keep it throughout its life.

Last edited:

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most all fish will take a few years to grow out. I have a 375 gallon with fish that have not yet begun to hit there "growth spurt", and some of them have been in there for 2 years.

I think you would be ok for a little bit with your setup, but I would prefer a 4ft long tank myself. Keep in mind I am not part of the tang police tho, so keep that in mind. I am sure others will chime in soon.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might go for a Midas blenny. Same length, lower exercise requirements. On a side note, I have had mollies in saltwater before and have zero interest in doing it again.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4’ tank longterm is better however, this species of tang I find rarely gets over 4 inches. So you will be able to manage him in a 3’ for a good 2-3 years. My Binotatus was bought at I believe 1.5 inches 2 years ago, he’s now around 3 inches. Most of Ctenochaetus don’t grow too large and max out around 4 inches. The ones that I find don’t do this are;
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Ctenochaetus striatus

The others in this genus should stay small. I assume you enjoy the look of the red on the white tail? If so then an alternative which doesn’t eat algae could be the Lyretail Hawkfish. However these are 50/50 on reef safe with inverts. Shrimp that are large (Lysmata debelius, Lynsey’s grabhami, Lysmata amboinensis ect…) should be ignored. Snails and crabs aren’t on the menu for many hawks.

Nah, just borrowing LA for basic profiles. Does the midas blenny eat hair algae?
The Escenius Blennies aren’t all too good with algae removal. Their natural diet often consists of SPS coral and I have had 3-4 follow this pattern. They will most likely nip at certain SPS coral, the one most known for this is Escenius bicolor.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 4’ tank longterm is better however, this species of tang I find rarely gets over 4 inches. So you will be able to manage him in a 3’ for a good 2-3 years. My Binotatus was bought at I believe 1.5 inches 2 years ago, he’s now around 3 inches. Most of Ctenochaetus don’t grow too large and max out around 4 inches. The ones that I find don’t do this are;
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Ctenochaetus striatus

The others in this genus should stay small. I assume you enjoy the look of the red on the white tail? If so then an alternative which doesn’t eat algae could be the Lyretail Hawkfish. However these are 50/50 on reef safe with inverts. Shrimp that are large (Lysmata debelius, Lynsey’s grabhami, Lysmata amboinensis ect…) should be ignored. Snails and crabs aren’t on the menu for many hawks.

The Escenius Blennies aren’t all too good with algae removal. Their natural diet often consists of SPS coral and I have had 3-4 follow this pattern. They will most likely nip at certain SPS coral, the one most known for this is Escenius bicolor.
OK, I'll look at the other Ctenochaetus. I do love the burgundy with white, but I get very attached to my finbabies and wouldn't want to let him go when the time came XD I appreciate the thorough answer.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'll look at the other Ctenochaetus. I do love the burgundy with white, but I get very attached to my finbabies and wouldn't want to let him go when the time came XD I appreciate the thorough answer.
No worries! Helping out people is just a fun thing to do in this hobby :)

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, wait, you meant those three are the bristletooths to avoid LOL my bad
Ctenochaetus strigosus
Ctenochaetus hawaiiensis
Ctenochaetus striatus

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's looking more and more like I should get a lawnmower blenny and call it good XD there are always snails and manual removal, though...

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK...since I think the Lawnmower is ugly but I can't find any other fish to fill the bill, guess I'll stick to inverts and siphoning the stuff. Thanks for the help, guys <3

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! The rainford goby! :) Captive-bred, of course. EDIT: Nope, I'd have to trade out the royal gramma...
These two should have enough room together in a 3’ tank. You should be able to do both. I personally find the more simple looking Koumansetta hectori to be nicer.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back