Blue tang in 4ft tank

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a tang for my tank. Dimensions are 4ft long by 2ft wide and 16 inches tall. The store has a baby blue tang (less then 2”) or a white tail bristletooth that is 4.5-5.5 inches. Originally I wanted the white tail but I preferred a baby one. Which one should I get? I know the blue tang can’t live in there long term so how many years would I get before I have to rehome him? I’m not sure how quickly they grow. I love both and I think I like the look of the white tail more, just not sure if it would be ok adding one that old to the mix

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at getting a tang for my tank. Dimensions are 4ft long by 2ft wide and 16 inches tall. The store has a baby blue tang (less then 2”) or a white tail bristletooth that is 4.5-5.5 inches. Originally I wanted the white tail but I preferred a baby one. Which one should I get? I know the blue tang can’t live in there long term so how many years would I get before I have to rehome him? I’m not sure how quickly they grow. I love both and I think I like the look of the white tail more, just not sure if it would be ok adding one that old to the mix
I’d go for the WTB because of the difficulty taking a blue out of the tank after having them for a while. Blues grow stupidly fast when they’re fed well so it’s likely you’d only have it for a few months to a year or two.

Plus there’s no tang out there other than the white tail that has a maroon red body, many tangs out there have blue bodies ;)

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with fast-growing fish so you can build a case to get a massive tank later - it’s for the fish, they’re family now! lol

My baby blue grew from 2” to 4.5” in less than 2yrs! Purple & Yellow tangs don’t grow as fast though.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go for the WTB because of the difficulty taking a blue out of the tank after having them for a while. Blues grow stupidly fast when they’re fed well so it’s likely you’d only have it for a few months to a year or two.

Plus there’s no tang out there other than the white tail that has a maroon red body, many tangs out there have blue bodies ;)
Very true, never thought of that! Thank you!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go with fast-growing fish so you can build a case to get a massive tank later - it’s for the fish, they’re family now! lol

My baby blue grew from 2” to 4.5” in less than 2yrs! Purple & Yellow tangs don’t grow as fast though.
Good idea! Then there can be no excuse not to upgrade! Lol and wow they grow up quick then

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have both in my 245. The white tail is the way to go. My blue tang is a jerk. Splashes water all over the floor. Breaks corals off. Taste all my sps. Tanks fed twice a day and he’s fat. Total food hog. Should I go on…lol. My white tail is gorgeous and laid back.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my 245. The white tail is the way to go. My blue tang is a jerk. Splashes water all over the floor. Breaks corals off. Taste all my sps. Tanks fed twice a day and he’s fat. Total food hog. Should I go on…lol. My white tail is gorgeous and laid back.
Laid back is exactly what I want, all the fish in my tank now are pretty easy going. I’ve never seen a white tail in person but I’ve never heard one person say they aren’t gorgeous!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true — Bad Dory is her name! I caught mine bulldozed half a colony of ($$) zoas overnight and yes, she is the only one splashing water! I’ve re-homed the zoas garden to another tank and now the main tank is filled with all SPS & chalices (by design anyway).

Next tank: no more Dory!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen a white tail in person but I’ve never heard one person say they aren’t gorgeous!

I've seen a few different white tail tangs. Not sure of the species, I've just seen them in the stores. There was a white tail yellow eye I saw once that was absolutely stunning. If I had room I would have taken it home.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true — Bad Dory is her name! I caught mine bulldozed half a colony of ($$) zoas overnight and yes, she is the only one splashing water! I’ve re-homed the zoas garden to another tank and now the main tank is filled with all SPS & chalices (by design anyway).

Next tank: no more Dory!
At least you got to save some of the zoas!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a few different white tail tangs. Not sure of the species, I've just seen them in the stores. There was a white tail yellow eye I saw once that was absolutely stunning. If I had room I would have taken it home.
That would be incredible, I’m sure there’s a price tag to go along with it that wouldn’t have been nice! The white tails alone aren’t cheap

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at online pics, some seems vibrant red and purple and others are just brown/very dark purple. Are they that varied or are stores taking liberties with lighting and photoshop like corals?

PhishMonger84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at online pics, some seems vibrant red and purple and others are just brown/very dark purple. Are they that varied or are stores taking liberties with lighting and photoshop like corals?
i've having the same issue! stuck between two spot, whitetail and cant find anything that really tells me one looks better than the other.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back