Tang ID - “Lemon tang”

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this at the LFS a few weeks ago and wanted to get a positive ID. This fish was labeled as “Lemon tang” and they had also received a “mimic lemon peel tang” which was labeled and priced slightly differently. Max size on LA for lemon tang is 10”, where mimic lemon peel is 8”. Are they really one and the same?

528D0461-5168-44ED-B3E1-189D7B2F3570.png

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably the same, but as there doesnt seem to be a latin name for live aquarias lemon tang, its possible they are different, but going by the juvenile it looks like acanthuras pyroferus. But i dont know really if they are the same, they could be regional variants that live aquaria has noted as different or is a mistake, or a species which doesnt have a juvenile colour form

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are likely the same, where as the lemon peel mimic will mimic the lemon peel angel and you may see some markings around the eyes. The lemon tang or yellow mimic tang will mimic the heraldi angel. Both will turn into the chocolate tang as an adult, a very beautiful fish that pics do no justice.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back