Tang or Angel in a 20 cube

clownfishlord18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a mixed 20 gallon water box. I know a lot of the fish and sizes of tanks they can be in, but does any one know a Tang or Angel fish that could comfortably live in a 20 cube for its whole life. Just wondering if there is some rare species that would fit. Thank you in advance for all your help

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are no species of tang or angel small enough to comfortably live in a 20.
A good centerpiece would be one of the smaller, peaceful damsels or a royal gramma.
Maybe.....maybe a small pygmy angel for a time... No tangs whatsoever will work.

OP
OP
clownfishlord18

clownfishlord18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are no species of tang or angel small enough to comfortably live in a 20.
A good centerpiece would be one of the smaller, peaceful damsels or a royal gramma.
I love the deep water basslet but am not going to spend that much on a fish. Any other basslets the have yellow, pink, blue, green , purple

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang is not likely to go well. The smallest species of tang is the tomini, which reaches 5-6 inches. While a baby could theoretically live in there for a few months, it would outgrow the tank and start having problems rapidly. As far as an angel goes, you are also low on options. However, a cherub or flameback angel might be able to live in there. I wouldn't suggest it, though. It would likely become very aggressive, and rule the tank with an iron fist. If you were okay with it being the only fish, it could be a suitable option. Instead, I recommend a royal gramma, meicanthus blenny, or springer's damselfish. I hope that this helps!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the deep water basslet but am not going to spend that much on a fish. Any other basslets the have yellow, pink, blue, green , purple
Chalk bass look nice but get a bit larger if I’m not correct. Swissguard basslets look a lot like candy basslets.
Plenty of dottybacks too but they can be pretty mean.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither would work well in a 20 of any dimensions. The Xiphypops subgenus of the dwarf angels (the so-called “Pygmy” angels) IMO need a 40 Breeder minimum, 55 and up for something like a Coral Beauty (I’d probably choose a CB over a Flame in a standard 55 due to CB being a bit more easygoing). The smallest Tangs (Tomini, Square Tail, Kole, White Tail and that genus Ctenochaetus) need at least a standard 75 which is a 4ft tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither would work well in a 20 of any dimensions. The Xiphypops subgenus of the dwarf angels (the so-called “Pygmy” angels) IMO need a 40 Breeder minimum, 55 and up for something like a Coral Beauty (I’d probably choose a CB over a Flame in a standard 55 due to CB being a bit more easygoing). The smallest Tangs (Tomini, Square Tail, Kole, White Tail and that genus Ctenochaetus) need at least a standard 75 which is a 4ft tank.
I’m curious, what tank would you say a Multicolor would need to be able to comfortably live it’s life in?

As for the OP, the Royal Gramma isn’t Expensive to my knowledge, you’re most likely thinking of the Dejongi Gramma or similar.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a unicorn tang perfect fit French angel would also be good tbh you could probs fit both

Personally, I'd go with a shark. Something pelagic. Great white might be a bit big, but a black tip might do ok.

(this is a joke. All of this is a joke. That tang gets 2' long -- 0.6 meters in non-freedom units. And the angel gets about a foot long -- 0.3m)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd go with a shark. Something pelagic. Great white might be a bit big, but a black tip might do ok.

(this is a joke. All of this is a joke. That tang gets 2' long -- 0.6 meters in non-freedom units. And the angel gets about a foot long -- 0.3m)
You’re forgetting about the blue whale, that should fit better. And it’s pelagic. Or, if you can’t choose, go for all of them.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tbh he could get a shark if he goes to 50 gallons and goes fresh water

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh he could get a shark if he goes to 50 gallons and goes fresh water
I mean, you aren’t wrong
This is from my days of fresh water. This guy was my last fish before I transitioned into a full salty. He lasted I believe 12 years, possibly 15.
55380522-67C1-4296-BD64-9664B9AA570B.jpeg

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if it’s gonna be lightly stocked maybe something like a 30-gallon, but if you’re having it with a few other fish, I’d still get a 40 Breeder. And yeah I was kinda confused about the Basslets lol although Biota does Gramma Dejongi and they aren’t as expensive as one would expect.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always nice to see people have fish for 10+ years or more.
Totally agree, it’s always a joy hearing how people have kept their fish for decades and longer. It also helps people see what they’re actually getting into when in the hobby.
R
I think if it’s gonna be lightly stocked maybe something like a 30-gallon, but if you’re having it with a few other fish, I’d still get a 40 Breeder.
I plan to upgrade my nano and go for a Goby heavy tank (Essentially Peaceful fish) with a Multicolor or Similar species as the centre piece as they’re my dream Centropyge species to own. The size of tank I hope to upgrade to is a 2.5’x18”x18”.

And yeah I was kinda confused about the Basslets lol although Biota does Gramma Dejongi and they aren’t as expensive as one would expect.
Just looked at the Biota price on the dejongi and even the “Platinum Dejongi” is a lot cheaper than one would expect.
It might have also been Gramma brasiliensis that the OP saw for sale as they look almost identical to Gramma loreto but have a much higher price tag.

moga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just put small size tang or angel and don't post any pictures of it. then you are good to go..

there are so many tang police out there.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back