Tang Quarantine or no?

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the catchy title would draw peoples attention :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So I went ahead and pre-ordered a small yellow and powder blue already quarantined from Dr. Reef. My question is once I get them home should I put them in the 10 gallon tank I bought for a future coral QT for 1-2 weeks of observation or will putting the little guys in a 10 gallon and moving them again cause more stress that isn't needed? I have had amazing results from Dr. Reef's fish to date but there's always a horror story or two floating around the internet. I just want my current fish and my future fish to be safe!!

*Buying a larger QT is not an option right now*

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured the catchy title would draw peoples attention :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

So I went ahead and pre-ordered a small yellow and powder blue already quarantined from Dr. Reef. My question is once I get them home should I put them in the 10 gallon tank I bought for a future coral QT for 1-2 weeks of observation or will putting the little guys in a 10 gallon and moving them again cause more stress that isn't needed? I have had amazing results from Dr. Reef's fish to date but there's always a horror story or two floating around the internet. I just want my current fish and my future fish to be safe!!

That's a good question. No quarantine process is 100% effective, and fish can develop health problems during transport. On the other hand, those fish are going to do really poorly being housed in a 10 gallon tank for 2 weeks.

I would ask Dr. Reef!

Jay

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question. No quarantine process is 100% effective, and fish can develop health problems during transport. On the other hand, those fish are going to do really poorly being housed in a 10 gallon tank for 2 weeks.

I would ask Dr. Reef!

Jay
If it matters- they will be give or take 2 inches long!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it matters- they will be give or take 2 inches long!

For sure you would need to ensure that the 10 gallon tank has a rock solid bio filter in operation. That size tank is still pretty small for two tangs - I'm guessing that the yellow tang is tank raised, but the PBT won't be. You may have issues with them fighting more in a small tank, they can't easily get out of each others way. Also, you need to be sure that you are buying fully quarantined fish, they also sell "conditioned fish", and those should have a more proactive quarantine process. In the end, it is a bit or risk analysis....if your display tank only has a few fish of lower value, the risk for these new, more expensive fish might mean that moving them right into the display would be better. On the other hand, if your display has some highly valuable fish, that you have had for a long time, then housing these new fish for a few weeks in the 10 would be prudent.

Jay

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure you would need to ensure that the 10 gallon tank has a rock solid bio filter in operation. That size tank is still pretty small for two tangs - I'm guessing that the yellow tang is tank raised, but the PBT won't be. You may have issues with them fighting more in a small tank, they can't easily get out of each others way. Also, you need to be sure that you are buying fully quarantined fish, they also sell "conditioned fish", and those should have a more proactive quarantine process. In the end, it is a bit or risk analysis....if your display tank only has a few fish of lower value, the risk for these new, more expensive fish might mean that moving them right into the display would be better. On the other hand, if your display has some highly valuable fish, that you have had for a long time, then housing these new fish for a few weeks in the 10 would be prudent.

Jay
They will be fully quarantined for sure! I am not comfortable enough in my knowledge to attempt fish QT yet so I pay for someone else to do the 'hard work' for me. I appreciate the thoughtful reply I may just put them directly in the DT I had not considered the territory issues that could result in a constant fight! These are my first tangs and I am not sure behavior wise what to expect from them

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much point in paying the premium to get fish quarantined by an expert like Dr. Reef and then putting those same fish into a quarantine yourself. If you are super paranoid then sure go for it.

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see much point in paying the premium to get fish quarantined by an expert like Dr. Reef and then putting those same fish into a quarantine yourself. If you are super paranoid then sure go for it.
Let's just say it's better to be safe than sorry, from experience. This is not the right thread to discuss, but yes I would definitely put them in observation tank.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yellow tang is captive bred and comes from a totally separate warehouse that does not deal with wild caught fish at all. In that warehouse we have NEVER seen ich or velvet.
Powder blue will come from our wild caught warehouse and honestly they are probably the most selling fish we carry and we have 100's of them pre-qted and sitting in our retail section all the time for months at a time. PBs we are selling currently have been with us for 3 months or more.
So to anwer your question, because I know the history of both fish I am 100% confident they can goto main tank after acclimation.
We guarantee our livestock without really putting it in writing but if anything goes wrong and its our fault we cover our customers and their livestock even if it wasnt bought from us. Thats my assurety to you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang is captive bred and comes from a totally separate warehose that does not deal with wild caught fish at all. In that warehouse we have NEVER seen ich or velvet.
Powder blue will come from our wild caught warehouse and honestly they are probably the most selling fish we carry and we have 100's of them pre-qted and sitting in our retail section all the time for months at a time. PBs we are selling currently have been with us for 3 months or more.
So to anwer your question, because I know the history of both fish I am 100% confident they can goto main tank after acclimation.
We guarantee our livestock without really putting it in writing but if anything goes wrong and its our fault we cover our customers and their livestock even if it wasnt bought from us. Thats my assurety to you.
Thank you so much!! This makes me feel so much better!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my view, the only QT that counts is the one you do yourself. You never know what someone elses idea of quarantining is. For me, a firm 90 days, nothing less.

OP
OP
BContos

BContos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my view, the only QT that counts is the one you do yourself. You never know what someone elses idea of quarantining is. For me, a firm 90 days, nothing less.
I can totally respect that. It's just not something I am confident I can do correctly. We have an extremely busy lifestyle right now that unfortunately doesn't allow the time to dedicate for it to be done correctly. That's why I have chosen to pay for someone else to do it for me and honestly I have had fantastic results with this far *knock on wood* Everything in my tank currently has come from Dr. Reef- CUC included- with the exception of a designer clown that was my first fish 2+ years ago and a falco Hawkfish. I have always been super pleased with all the livestock received! I have an anthia order coming next week from him too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back