Tang question(s)

MonkeyDLuffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
So my 75 reef tank is maturing and I'm planning for the last 2 or 3 fish I would like to add, a tang being one of them. Going by Internet resources I see I could do a kole or tomini tang. My question is this then: reading forms and talking with my lfs I was told the majority of tangs need a 6 foot to 8 foot tank due to being large swimmers in the wild or they wouldn't be happy (which is my goal full life spans and their happiness). While these majestic creatures have millions of gallons and miles of space to swim how does that 2 to 4 feet make a difference? Just to clarify I'm not looking for rationalization to keep one of these larger tangs, but rather knowledge to keep my animals happy and when I upgrade to eventually keep some of these surgeon fish that have drawn me to this hobby.

As I'm new to marine aquariums any and all input is appreciated! :)

Thank you.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
So my 75 reef tank is maturing and I'm planning for the last 2 or 3 fish I would like to add, a tang being one of them. Going by Internet resources I see I could do a kole or tomini tang. My question is this then: reading forms and talking with my lfs I was told the majority of tangs need a 6 foot to 8 foot tank due to being large swimmers in the wild or they wouldn't be happy (which is my goal full life spans and their happiness). While these majestic creatures have millions of gallons and miles of space to swim how does that 2 to 4 feet make a difference? Just to clarify I'm not looking for rationalization to keep one of these larger tangs, but rather knowledge to keep my animals happy and when I upgrade to eventually keep some of these surgeon fish that have drawn me to this hobby.

As I'm new to marine aquariums any and all input is appreciated! :)

Thank you.

Oh boy you just opened up a serious can of worms on this one. The tang police are gonna be rolling in hot, lights and sirens blaring! Hahahaha I'm just joking with you, but on a serious note this has been discussed so many times over and over you are going to have uncountable amount of different opinions. You'll get a bunch of 4ft is ok fo these specific tangs and then your going to get a bunch of people saying tangs don't belong in a 4ft tank.

Now that being said here is my own personal opinion and experiences. I'm not saying I'm right or that I'm wrong so take it for what it is and make your own judgement because at the end of the day your going to what you want anyways.

Having personally had a 75g reef tank, now a 220g my personal opinion yes you can have certain types of tangs and yes that 2 ft even 6 inches of depth makes a huge difference. You can have the ones that stay smaller. Off the top of my head your kole tangs (bristle tooth), tomini, and yellow tang I'm sure I'm missing one maybe 2. Get them as small as possible because they will have two fates. They will eventually grow big enough that their living space becomes to small so their fates will be either death from stress or you get a larger tank/find them a new larger tank to live in. The reason to get them as small as possible.

It's very hard to explain how much tank size makes a difference unless you make that jump yourself. For example I thought I knew large with my 125g but when I jumped to my 220g and the 100lbs of Rock that took up quite a bit of front to back depth in the 125g looked like I dropped pebbles into the 220g. Also when my tangs looked good sized in my 125g to looking like the gold fish you win at the fair in my 220g which is still average sized compared to what people have out there. Only then did I grasp the concept of swimming room for my tangs.

Besides getting them as small as possible and maybe getting a little over a year with them before you have your two options because they grow incredibly fast. Put your tang in very last because they highly territorial. Once you put one in your sized tank any other fish after him will get bullied to death that's a guarantee. You can think of a tang as a bull. Your tank is a china shop not very much space for other fish the escape its aggression. Larger tanks give more space for fish to escape or hide from the tangs aggression. Best analogy I can come up with.

Ending statement take my two cents for what it's worth. Again not saying I'm right or wrong just thoughts based on my own personal experience. Others I know will say differently, but at the end of the day what most can't grasp but I personally can, your going to do what you want at the end of the day anyways. No one will be able to tell you otherwise. So listen to what is being said, take it into account and make the best judgement call on your end you possibly can. Hope this helps!

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to get away with a Tomini, yellow Kole eye or yellow. Yes 2 feet matter when the fish is a foot long.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it but, thats a big but. Im in a similar position I have a 75 gallon, in there is a yellow and gold rim. Everything was fine for the first month or so then both turned ferrel, killing all but a few of my fish. They are very territorial and aggressive, both tore strips of my triggerfish.

I've presently have the tank divided to isolate the new fish, hoping the will except them. All new comers have been killed.....

I love both fish, my gold rim (powder brown, white face) is stunning but would i have Tangs again? No unless I had a huge tank.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60fed3cbd19a45dc19d90deb0e24bae1.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect those problems will only intensify as the powder brown gets bigger.
I think it makes sense. When a tang is 3" long in a 48" tank it has 16 times it's body length to swim. When it hits 8" long it only has 6 times it's body length to swim. For a free swimming fish I think it is too be expected that it will get grumpy when it grows to a certain size in proportion to the size of the aquarium.

Anthony Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it makes sense. When a tang is 3" long in a 48" tank it has 16 times it's body length to swim. When it hits 8" long it only has 6 times it's body length to swim. For a free swimming fish I think it is too be expected that it will get grumpy when it grows to a certain size in proportion to the size of the aquarium.

Powder Browns are aggressive to begin with not to add the fact putting them in a small tank. powder blues their cousin are the meanest tang around. They'll get grumpy and stressed, stress is a huge problem related to tang health.

Woolleson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Browns are aggressive to begin with not to add the fact putting them in a small tank. powder blues their cousin are the meanest tang around. They'll get grumpy and stressed, stress is a huge problem related to tang health.

If i was to choose the yellow is more of the aggressor, both to the powder brown and the other fish. The issue with the powder brown was food sharing, as soon as my starry blenny took interest in the nori he turned on him.

For referance, i had a pb, kole and yellow tang in a fowlr tank many years ago, all lived happy with other fish. Apart from an odd ich out break kept them for 5 years before the tank break down.

The difference, apart from personalities, is they are bigger. Most i see in the lfs are thin and malnourished, i picked these two as they were fat and healthy, mistake? Maybe.

Theres always the argument on fish to tank size, but if we are honest non should be kept in tanks. The issue is not un happy tangs, both are fat healthy and have open swimming space (a 6 ft filled with live rock, any better than a 4 ft open? ). Its aggression to others.....

All said, they have caused me real grief,as much as i love them

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i was to choose the yellow is more of the aggressor, both to the powder brown and the other fish. The issue with the powder brown was food sharing, as soon as my starry blenny took interest in the nori he turned on him.

For referance, i had a pb, kole and yellow tang in a fowlr tank many years ago, all lived happy with other fish. Apart from an odd ich out break kept them for 5 years before the tank break down.

The difference, apart from personalities, is they are bigger. Most i see in the lfs are thin and malnourished, i picked these two as they were fat and healthy, mistake? Maybe.

Theres always the argument on fish to tank size, but if we are honest non should be kept in tanks. The issue is not un happy tangs, both are fat healthy and have open swimming space (a 6 ft filled with live rock, any better than a 4 ft open? ). Its aggression to others.....

All said, they have caused me real grief,as much as i love them
Well thanks for sharing your experience. I appreciate it and don't mean to tell you how to care for your animals. You have more experience here and I hope you have continued success.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, zebrasoma (excluding sailfins IMO) can do fine in a 75 for several years, and as mentioned many bristletooth species.

njtiger aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will weight in on this and I'm sure I will be ran out of town. When I started in this hobby I was stubborn and wanted a Yellow Tang and a clown fish. I started with a 36g bow front tank. I'm now on a 54g corner tank and I have a Yellow Tang and a Powered Brown Tang. Both tangs have been in my tank over a year without any issues (1 year and 4 months for Yellow and 1 year and 1 month for the Powered). When I added the brown it was getting attacked crazy by my yellow. I pulled my yellow out and put him in my 36 for 6 days. After 6 days I added the yellow back and they been best friends since then. I keep them well feed. They have not killed any of my other fish and doing well. Now do I suggested tangs in a small tank no but as I stated I am stubborn. Ok tang police I am ready to be ran out of town.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony was pretty much spot on. That said, I have an 8' tank with a current total of 9 tangs. 6 of them Zebrasoma SP. Specifically, 5 yellows and a purple. The Kole Tang was the 1st Tang in the tank. He was a total ****** to other fish. He managed to kill a Blue (Hippo) a Foxface, and a few others I can't remember at the moment because it has been a couple of years. I added the Kole because they are notoriously docile. Well, he wasn't. My solution was to add the yellows and the purple at the same time. The Kole didn't know who to chase 1st, and has since been a model citizen.
Fish are people too, and all have different personalities.
Now back to your original question, Tang police aside, yes you can keep tangs in a 4' tank...... At least in the short term. Keep them well fed, with lots of places to hide, and you'll have success. Long term, they will need a larger tank to truly thrive in the long term.
With that said, there is always an opportunity to upgrade to a larger tank.... Kinda like the 12 footer I am planning now...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of factors to consider. Within a species individual personalities can vary. Feeding more mitigates aggression. Higher flow in a 4ft tank is better for tangs than lower flow in a larger tank. Efficiency of nutrient export matters. Tank footprint is more important than tank volume. Open aquascaping vs a tank filled with rock. Tankmates, types and quantity matter. So does having grazing opportunities.

There are just too many factors to make specific rules.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back