Tang Questions

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking into getting another tang for my 150g display, 72x18x27. Currently I have a 4 1/2 - 5" yellow tang that has been in my system for around 8 months, purchased as a small juvenile. Other fish I have: coral beauty, 2x ocelleris clowns, azure damsel, yellow tail damsel, banded shrimp and that is it. Will definitely be adding 2x lyretail anthias' soon. I wanted to add another tang, leaning towards a juvenile yellow eye kole. Any suggestions adding the kole to my tank with the yellow? I keep reading to use caution with multiple tangs..

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend using a social acclimation box when introducing any new fish, but especially when introducing a new tang to an existing tang.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same. I put the Kole tang in first. I did not have problems. I next added a small powder brown. The kole tang and yellow went after him. The yellow gave up in a day. The powder brown is a much better knife fighter and the kole was covered with little dings. He quit while he was ahead. The yellow stayed somewhat aggressive but the faster powder brown seemed to taunt him into pursuing and then stayed just in front of him. The powder brown is now the top fish and there is very little enmity.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow Tang, large blue hippo Tang, and a scopas tang in my 125 system. There is a little tang mischief, but they get along ok for the most part. I also have a powder brown in quarantine that will be going into the tank is a couple of weeks. As long as they are all well-fed, the aggression is kept at a minimum .

reelredfisah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a yellow and a kole tang no other tangs at this time. Wondering how it worked out. Think I want to add them at the same time. 180 gallon 5’ tank.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my kole first. Later, I added a yellow and had no problems. Adding simultaneously should work.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only my Leucosternon gives any surgeon family members trouble. The Zebrasoma is calm. I would not anticipate problems for your choice. New fish generally face 24 hours of harassment and the the Leuco returns to its favorite sport, harassing Hepatus. It makes me think of kids skateboarding in a mall. They disturb everyone.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not end up adding the Kole. I recently visited a local reef shop, and they had one in stock. I talked to the owner, who has been in the hobby for 20+ years. I told him about my stock list, and his opinion based on his experience was that it would be a 50/50 chance that the yellow and kole could coexist, without one killing the other. He of course had a 210 display setup with 4-5 tangs, but said it really is a coin flip with multiple tangs. I may revisit adding another tang, possibly with an acclimation box.

Since I originally started this thread I added a copperband butterfly (for aiptasia), which my yellow tang ended up killing unfortunately. My yellow tang is very fat, strong and healthy..so I dont think adding anymore similar looking fish is an option, without some planning. I did end up adding 3 lyretail anthias and 3 firefish. I guess I will have a lot of smaller/medium sized fish for now, and I am ok with that and like the way it looks.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back