Tang stocking help

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone. I am in the process of upgrading my tank and would like some help with the tang stocking. Tank upgrade is to a Planet Aquariums 60X24X25. I know i would like a yellow tang so ill go ahead and say that one is a must. What would you recommend to add in this tank that would all get along for the most part? My list is below of what catches my eyes. If i am missing a good one, please recommend one you have and let me know why if possible. Thank you guys

Yellow Tang (Yes)
Scopas Tang
Powder Brown Tang
Powder Blue
Tomini Tang
Sailfin Tang
Kole Yellow Eye Tang

sealife4life

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great picks! Do you quarantine? I recently lost a few tangs in quarantine do to my inexperience and lack of research. IME I’ve learned to thoroughly read about the ones you’ll get and the husbandry they deserve and need. If you plan on quarantine tangs together make sure the QT is big enough and use egg crates or something else to keep them divided for that period to feel one another out. My experience, some were bullied and others stresses and died. Good luck to you!

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All great picks! Do you quarantine? I recently lost a few tangs in quarantine do to my inexperience and lack of research. IME I’ve learned to thoroughly read about the ones you’ll get and the husbandry they deserve and need. If you plan on quarantine tangs together make sure the QT is big enough and use egg crates or something else to keep them divided for that period to feel one another out. My experience, some were bullied and others stresses and died. Good luck to you!
I do not quarantine. I plan on buying fish that are already quarantined by the seller. Gonna go with Dr. Reef for my fish on this build.

Anyone have any recommendations on the list above?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best of those choices to pair with the yellow in a 5 x2 is the kole and/or tomini. You might be able to get both if you add at the same time, however I've seen koles get aggressive as they mature.

I would skip the sailfin for size reasons.

One of the powders may work. They are a little active and aggressive for my tastes under 180 gallons. A convict or lavender would work well.

Foxfaces are great and work well with tangs. A magnificent or bicolor foxface would pair well color wise.

You might also look into certain angels. You would have room for one of the reef safe Genicanthus genus angels. Regal might also be an option.

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regal angel, large, lots of color and mine is active as can be.

20210503_192922_HDR~2.jpg

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a very similar question recently and got great advice from several. Here's a link to that thread:
I ended up with a sailfin, a blue hippo, and a naso---plus a foxface. I would've added the sailfin last if I did it over again, since he bullied the other tangs for a day at first. However, I don't know that my choices would work for your tank size. People in my thread gave plenty of other suggestions though. Have fun!

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The best of those choices to pair with the yellow in a 5 x2 is the kole and/or tomini. You might be able to get both if you add at the same time, however I've seen koles get aggressive as they mature.

I would skip the sailfin for size reasons.

One of the powders may work. They are a little active and aggressive for my tastes under 180 gallons. A convict or lavender would work well.

Foxfaces are great and work well with tangs. A magnificent or bicolor foxface would pair well color wise.

You might also look into certain angels. You would have room for one of the reef safe Genicanthus genus angels. Regal might also be an option.
Tang list above looks good to me that you mentioned. Rather have a tomini over kole so I would make that change. I figured a sailfin was gonna get to big just love the way that fish looks. Magnificent foxface are beautiful and I didn't even think about that foxfaces.
Would you stay away from dwarf angelfish with those combo?

So yellow, tomini, convict, foxface and small angel a good pairing?

I posted a very similar question recently and got great advice from several. Here's a link to that thread:
I ended up with a sailfin, a blue hippo, and a naso---plus a foxface. I would've added the sailfin last if I did it over again, since he bullied the other tangs for a day at first. However, I don't know that my choices would work for your tank size. People in my thread gave plenty of other suggestions though. Have fun!
Thank you. gonna pull up this thread and read it here shortly.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that?
Had both. The kole was everyone's homie, did work absolutely nonstop. Tomini was a more active swimmer but more of a bully personality. Didn't pick the rocks, would just wait for the nori on a clip and try to defend it from others, even with multiple clips.

Lost my ye kole to velvet, replacing it with a white tail bristletooth just for a change.

Back