Multiple Tangs Question

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I've had a 300G DT for a long time, but I've never kept Tangs until recently when I introduced a Blue and a Sailfin (both about 2 inches). They get along great---at least for now. I read everything I could about inter-Tang aggression and it's safe to say that there are as many opinions about how many Tangs to keep as there are posts about it. So, a specific question: I am going to add another Tang, but what do you think would be the least risky to add? (Oh, I also have a Foxface and a Starry Blenny for other herbivores.). Thanks!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just my thoughts. You have a tank size similar to mine and I posted a similar thread here about introduction order. My list was from least to most aggressive, but in your case I think introducing a group at the same time will improve your chances at avoiding aggression with the sail fin.

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my thoughts. You have a tank size similar to mine and I posted a similar thread here about introduction order. My list was from least to most aggressive, but in your case I think introducing a group at the same time will improve your chances at avoiding aggression with the sail fin.
Thank you! Very helpful!

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want to add one then The SquareTail Bristletooth Tang is super peaceful and will spend all day terrorizing any Algae in your tank.

If you plain on adding more than just that one tang in future, then I'd suggest waiting until you can put them all in at the same time.

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you just want to add one then The SquareTail Bristletooth Tang is super peaceful and will spend all day terrorizing any Algae in your tank.

If you plain on adding more than just that one tang in future, then I'd suggest waiting until you can put them all in at the same time.
Thank you!

Patman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a single foxface to the tank and my sailfin was very aggressive, I ended having to put the FF back in QT and got 2 more tangs, introduced them all at once, there was a bit of aggression for a couple days but it was spread out and they could easily go hide and he'd just swap attention to another. Now they get a long just fine.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 tangs in my 300g but my tank is 8ft long though. Least risky tangs would be the boring dull tangs lol. The coolest tangs tend to be the meaner aggressive types. How many tangs do you plan on keeping? If you only want one more, why not get an Achilles. That is if you qurantine?

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 tangs in my 300g but my tank is 8ft long though. Least risky tangs would be the boring dull tangs lol. The coolest tangs tend to be the meaner aggressive types. How many tangs do you plan on keeping? If you only want one more, why not get an Achilles. That is if you qurantine?
Yeah Achilles was high on my list. Awesome looking fish!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big fan of the Orange Shoulder Tang. Great community fish with no coral issues.

C49589C0-5FDC-4EB4-A8CE-2341A0FCC564.jpeg
08793204-3334-4099-92E1-07EE1BFC03BC.jpeg

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always fret about this same thing and while there are likely generalizations you can make exceptions seem to abound. I started out with a hippo in my 180, then after a few months I added a yellow. No issues, got along fine. Few months later I added a powder blue, again no issues, got along just fine. I'm considering one more and I'll wrangle over that for the next few months lol.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back