Tang Stocking Plan

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,
Would like some opinions from experienced Tang owners in this stocking plan and order of introduction

325g (96"x28"x28") with sump (estimate 360g total water volume)

Tangs in order of addition (least to most aggressive I believe)
1. Fowleri Tang (Acanthurus fowleri)
2. Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)
3. Hippo/Regal Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
4. Two Yellow Tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens) (are odd numbers better?)
5. Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
6. Same Time:
Powder Blue (Acanthurus leucosternon)
Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus)

not sure if Powder Brown and Blue can get along here. Anyone done that successfully in a large tank?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
Would like some opinions from experienced Tang owners in this stocking plan and order of introduction

325g (96"x28"x28") with sump (estimate 360g total water volume)

Tangs in order of addition (least to most aggressive I believe)
1. Fowleri Tang (Acanthurus fowleri)
2. Blonde Naso Tang (Naso elegans)
3. Hippo/Regal Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
4. Two Yellow Tangs (Zebrasoma flavescens) (are odd numbers better?)
5. Purple Tang (Zebrasoma xanthurum)
6. Same Time:
Powder Blue (Acanthurus leucosternon)
Powder Brown Tang (Acanthurus japonicus)

not sure if Powder Brown and Blue can get along here. Anyone done that successfully in a large tank?
Order looks good to me. Although 8 tangs in that size tank would be like 4 tangs in my 48'' tank. I have done 4 tangs on a couple occasions but the water quality went down hill fast. If I didn't keep them well fed it led to fighting and ich. Was too hard for me to figure out the correct balance to make sure they all got enough and not too much to overload the system. 2-3 seems to be the perfect number for my tank so I might think about only doing your 6 favorite first and then add 2 more later if you really want them.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a total crap shoot either way, but you are best off introducing more than one at a time so maybe three minimum at once. The first one in may not tolerate any others after. The powder brown I had was fairly docile and my yellow was much meaner so maybe the brown before yellow or purple. Don't be surprised to lose one at some point to bullying as even in a tank that large fighting will occur.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be a total crap shoot either way, but you are best off introducing more than one at a time so maybe three minimum at once. The first one in may not tolerate any others after. The powder brown I had was fairly docile and my yellow was much meaner so maybe the brown before yellow or purple. Don't be surprised to lose one at some point to bullying as even in a tank that large fighting will occur.

I like the idea of adding 2 each time. I would imagine after the first 3 or 4 are established it won't be much of an issue which order. I don't think the bullying will last too long. At least that has been my experience. I have a yellow and a blue that has been in my tank for many years. I rotate other tangs in and out on occasion and the bullying is never an issue for more than a half day or so.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the idea of adding 2 each time. I would imagine after the first 3 or 4 are established it won't be much of an issue which order. I don't think the bullying will last too long. At least that has been my experience. I have a yellow and a blue that has been in my tank for many years. I rotate other tangs in and out on occasion and the bullying is never an issue for more than a half day or so.
Thank you both! I may skinny down the list to 6 and try in pairs of two.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar size tank with the following tangs.

purple
yellow
white tail bristletooth
sohal
yellow belly hippo
achilles
redsea sailfin
gem
convict

I added them all at the same time with no issues. With prior tanks I have added 1-2 at a time and it never works out. I highly recommend adding all at once if you can have the tank prepared properly.

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

purple
yellow
white tail bristletooth
sohal
yellow belly hippo
achilles
redsea sailfin
gem
convict

I added them all at the same time with no issues. With prior tanks I have added 1-2 at a time and it never works out. I highly recommend adding all at once if you can have the tank prepared properly.
I’d love to try this but how did you do quarantine with this many at once?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

purple
yellow
white tail bristletooth
sohal
yellow belly hippo
achilles
redsea sailfin
gem
convict

Nice selection of Tangs. I avoided the Sohal due to hearing the horror stories of them. My list is...
Achilles
Fowleri
Blonde Naso
White Tail Bristletooth
Blue Hippo
Convict
Powder Blue
Purple
Lavendar (3x)

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice selection of Tangs. I avoided the Sohal due to hearing the horror stories of them. My list is...
Achilles
Fowleri
Blonde Naso
White Tail Bristletooth
Blue Hippo
Convict
Powder Blue
Purple
Lavendar (3x)
Awesome list. This would be my dream tank if you substitute 2 of the lavenders for a yellow and a clown. How big is that tank?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome list. This would be my dream tank if you substitute 2 of the lavenders for a yellow and a clown. How big is that tank?
Thanks. I avoided Clown since they are pretty similar to the Sohal in behaviour. I did buy a yellow but somehow it didn't make it past qurantine so I was fine with the Purple. I just love the underrated underappreciated beauty of the Lavendars that's why I went with 3. People tend to go with multiple yellows but they're too common IMO. My tank is a 300g (96long X 30 wide X 24 tall)

OP
OP
I

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I avoided Clown since they are pretty similar to the Sohal in behaviour. I did buy a yellow but somehow it didn't make it past qurantine so I was fine with the Purple. I just love the underrated underappreciated beauty of the Lavendars that's why I went with 3. People tend to go with multiple yellows but they're too common IMO. My tank is a 300g (96long X 30 wide X 24 tall)
What is your favorite? I loved the Fowleri color changes and personality. I used to hand feed him in my prior tank.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Order looks good to me. Although 8 tangs in that size tank would be like 4 tangs in my 48'' tank. I have done 4 tangs on a couple occasions but the water quality went down hill fast. If I didn't keep them well fed it led to fighting and ich. Was too hard for me to figure out the correct balance to make sure they all got enough and not too much to overload the system. 2-3 seems to be the perfect number for my tank so I might think about only doing your 6 favorite first and then add 2 more later if you really want them.

We've got a 6 foot 180 with 6 tangs and no problems, we even over feed.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your favorite? I loved the Fowleri color changes and personality. I used to hand feed him in my prior tank.
Fowleri has always been a fish i wanted since 10 years ago. He's my 2nd favorite just behind my Achilles. My fowleri is pretty peaceful and yep love the color changes too.

reefer513

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dussumeri are up there with floweri in looks but overlooked alot. Not too aggressive either

Attachments

• 20201104_190954.jpg
    20201104_190954.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 56

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back