Tang Suggestion

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a medium sized Tomini and considering adding another Tang. Which type of Tang might get along with the Tomini, if any?

90 gallon DT. Mixed reef.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that your only other tang options are going to come from the zebrasoma family with that size tank. I would not put two Ctenochaetus tangs in together. You will get others to say that you shouldn't add any other tangs to a 4' tank, but if you are going to do it, I would stay with one of the smaller zebrasomas (yellow, purple, etc)

On another note, I have personally found tomini to be aggressive, so a new tang may not do well if added after it. I had a tomini kill a goldflake angel once.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just stick with one. If you want another, I agree a smaller (not sailfin) one from the Zebrasoma *genus* would be the best choice. The only way I've had success with yellow in a 4' tank is when it's the only tang. They eventually got mature enough to kill other tangs or even butterflies.

OP
OP
PeaBrain

PeaBrain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. My Tomini is pretty tame. I'll keep her that way.

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scopas tang that's about 2 inches long and planning on a tomini down the line. I love the coloring on the scopas he just swims around and picks algae off rocks all day. My favorite of the 4 fish I have.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scopas is the best bet, I have one and all the ones I've known have been pretty tame. Pics dont do them justice if you havent seen one in person. Mine doesnt utilize a huge amount of real estate, I like their perfect spade shape and personality.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 57 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.1%
Back