Tang with growth on its belly

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, looking for some help..... This growth happened over night. It's right under his pelvic fins. I noticed this first thing this morning. He was eating and swimming normally up until 2pm today. There were no signs of irritation or scratching. Now, he is not eating at all and hiding. All of this happened in less than 24 hrs.

All other fish look fine and eating normally.

Please help.

20190331_130159.jpg

20190331_130139.jpg

20190331_130116.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be constipated you can try 1 Tablespoon of pure USP Epsom Salts per 5 gallons to try to get things moving. If you can get him nibbling try to boil a pea, skin it, and feed him him the inners of the pea.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it directly below him (where the rectum would be) or kind of on one side? From the photo, it looks a little off-center for this to be a prolapse.

The one photo shows some white-patchy looking spots... is that accurate? Was the fish QT’d or treated for anything prophylactically? How long have you had it? Any new additions recently?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks for more experience with tang markings. Am I imagining the small white areas on the sides? Or is that normal/ stress marks?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily @HotRocks for more experience with tang markings. Am I imagining the small white areas on the sides? Or is that normal/ stress marks?
I do think I see white spots on the sides, I don't believe it's stress marks on an acanthurus tang.

I do agree with the rectal prolapse and epsom salt suggestions for the original inquiry.

Op, how long have you had this fish?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I see white spots on the sides, I don't believe it's stress marks on an acanthurus tang.

I do agree with the rectal prolapse and epsom salt suggestions for the original inquiry.

Op, how long have you had this fish?
I agree, don't have much insight to add here other than you have received great advice!

OP
OP
mermaid_life

mermaid_life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the advice. Sorry for the delayed reply.... Just got off work [emoji31].

Had the fish for about 2 weeks. It was at the lfs for a while before I picked him up and he was doing great with a school of other tangs and angels, etc.

Question about the epsom..... Do I just add it to the entire tank? I can't get him to eat peas.

He doesn't really have spots. He changes color during eating. The bump is uniform and exactly where he usually [emoji90] from. Haven't seen him [emoji90] in a few days.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thank you so much for the advice. Sorry for the delayed reply.... Just got off work [emoji31].

Had the fish for about 2 weeks. It was at the lfs for a while before I picked him up and he was doing great with a school of other tangs and angels, etc.

Question about the epsom..... Do I just add it to the entire tank? I can't get him to eat peas.

He doesn't really have spots. He changes color during eating. The bump is uniform and exactly where he usually [emoji90] from. Haven't seen him [emoji90] in a few days.

Yes directly to the water, just make sure it’s pure USP Epsom salts, unscented, no dye, etc

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 25 28.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 38.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.5%
Back