OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw one of these in your tank and place it near the bottom. It comes with a white pleated 15-micron filter. Theronts(free swimming ich) are too big to pass through this filter. This should cut down on free swimming theronts. You don't need to mess with messy diatomaceous earth, though this filter will run DE with that same pleated cartridge if you wish. DE would be good to capture velvet.

https://www.amazon.com/Marineland-P...&qid=1531949644&sr=8-4&keywords=magnum+filter

Thanks for the tip. Will this remove the Ich attack from my system?

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip. Will this remove the Ich attack from my system?

No, it's just straight up mechanical filtration. I assume ich attack is some liquid. I would personally skip the ich attack. There is really no reef safe ich medication I have ever heard of working. Removing the fish and treating them separately with Chloroquine Phosphate while leaving display fishless for 3 months is the best course. But if you go the "management" route, then I would filter out the theronts to reduce the impact on fish. And perhaps consider running a UV with slow flow long term.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it's just straight up mechanical filtration. I assume ich attack is some liquid. I would personally skip the ich attack. There is really no reef safe ich medication I have ever heard of working. Removing the fish and treating them separately with Chloroquine Phosphate while leaving display fishless for 3 months is the best course. But if you go the "management" route, then I would filter out the theronts to reduce the impact on fish. And perhaps consider running a UV with slow flow long term.

I can go pick up that filter now. Do you think it really works? Is there any Science to it or are people just guessing ? Do I run it all the time or just for a few weeks ?

Thanks

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not going to eradicate ich, but will help get your fish through outbreaks until they develop some immunity. Part of the 'ich management' program is reducing the ich density while feeding heavy. You will likely have outbreaks during stress events. I would probably run it for a few months, and have some additional micron filters on hand to switch them out as they get clogged. You can reuse them by soaking them in a bleach/water solution. It's a $50 filter that may help your fish get through the theront stage. I'd put more stock in mechanical removal of theronts than a "reef safe" ich medication. :)

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65D72C9A-3B1D-4527-985C-D2A15F8D28DC.jpeg
FC849F4A-A82A-4250-8EF1-7AD87C5E2738.png
Got some pictures

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any id on the pics? Took me some time to take them lol

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from pics. I am on my phone. Could be ich, could be velvet. I see the spots. The look pretty small.

ZachH455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A flame angel has 2 spots that I can see
The filter will work to treat symptoms but is a band-aid. The only thing that will eliminate either of these diseases permanently is a treatment that is known to kill ich (like copper), and a fallow tank for 6-8 weeks. Ich attack and the filter won’t get rid of ich for good.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tang is pooping a lot. It looks more like nori it’s pooping. It’s like thin sheets of brown

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the tang is pooping a lot. It looks more like nori it’s pooping. It’s like thin sheets of brown
That's normal of a tang. They eat all day long. They pee/poop almost Everytime they eat. Tangs are dirty!!!

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are still alive this morning, if it was velvet they would be dead correct?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's velvet you will know real soon it cycles much faster and coverage on the fish will increase rapidly.

It is most likely ich you are dealing with.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich spots have grown on the tang and the flame. No other fish as being effected. Im using Ich Attack and I will be doing a water change tonight. Both with ich are eating and eating garlic with food.

OP
OP
Neo Jeo

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today they seem less. I don’t see any on the flame angel. Now I’m confused. Do they fall off then multiply then attack with revenge?

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I raise my tank temp? I did not see that in the ich managment section. Also is there any solution that I can add to help heal the fish?
Thatll just accelerate the transformation period from what ive heard ich or cryptoirritans are extremely tollerant to temperature elevations and drops hypo works but there were some studies of strains that survived in sg levels fish of inverts couldnt rare but possible qt and going fallow for 76 days or managment unfortunately those are the only options [emoji17]

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thatll just accelerate the transformation period from what ive heard ich or cryptoirritans are extremely tollerant to temperature elevations and drops hypo works but there were some studies of strains that survived in sg levels fish of inverts couldnt rare but possible qt and going fallow for 76 days or managment unfortunately those are the only options [emoji17]
Also might wanna setup a qt tank anyways and qt any fish you buy from an online lfs or local everyfish can be a host @ a lfs for illments and destroy your tank i just dealt with a double wammy 4 months ago ich and velvet @ the same time not fun lost everything $500 lost never used proper qt practices suffered a greusome 76 day fallow because of it i qt everything nowadays food for thought

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back