Tangs and coral

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Tangs hate hard coral. Basically if it’s a stick, see ya in the sandbed if it isn’g epoxied in place. Super glue is no chance. So my tank goals are changing, probably sticking with stylos, psammacora, and scroll corals. So far every acro, birdsnest, and plating/digi montipora have ended up in the sand bed repetitively. Lps don’t seem to get bothered at all though, nor do my zoas or my anemone(obviously). What has everyone elses experience been with Tangs “redecorating”? Tangs in my tank are:
Orange Shoulder, convict, Yellow Eyed Kole, Blonde Naso, Purple, yellow bellied regal.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomato clownfish moves 5 pound rocks with frags and dumps them upside down as far from her nem-rock as she can move it. I think she doesn't want the acros growing around here nest.

This is a family site or else i would explain my reaction when I find that she has moved yet another frag rock.

Talking Dimitri Payet GIF by Olympique de Marseille

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank? If not enough room the fish could be just swimming by and knocking em down?
D
Yeah, I thought of that, but I mounted all of my sticks in out of the way places. Never seen any knocked over overnight. Have definitely seen my orange shoulder move them, purposefully. He has pulled them off with his mouth, pile them up in the corner, and then covered with sand. But only non-fleshy stuff like acros and birdsnests, i think the other tangs just hange around and try to figure out what he’s doing. No aggression in the tank at all, but I have tons of flow, plenty of hiding spots and the tank is fed 4 times a day. It’s a 210 gal display with 100 gal sump.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never over the years had any issues with tangs knocking over SPS or bothering in any way. I have had them on occassion bother trachys but that is all.
Just my weido fish then I guess. My orange shoulder will eat out of my hand, but also has decided to be an interior decorator.

OP
OP
Michael White

Michael White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never over the years had any issues with tangs knocking over SPS or bothering in any way. I have had them on occassion bother trachys but that is all.
They don’t “bother” the trachy I have, but they have decided that corner of the tank is their litter box, it is the most pooped in corner of the tank, they’ll literally dart across the tank to go poop on the trachy and zoas on that side of the tank. Maybe because it’s lower flow and they can rest from the current some there?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back